Author Topic: RWGPS and Garmin 1030 What have I done ?  (Read 868 times)

RWGPS and Garmin 1030 What have I done ?
« on: 04 February, 2024, 03:46:29 pm »
I've been running RWGPS for years and have had my Garmin 1030 Plus for about a year now. Previously I used a Garmin 800.

I've always created my routes on RWGPS, selected Garmin device and then it's saved the file on my computer as a TCX file. Connected my Garmin to my computer via a USB port and then  gone to my downloads folder and copied the file into the New Files folder in my Garmin.

However, having recently done fresh install of Windows 10, I now seem to have a problem transferring routes from RWGPS onto my Garmin.

I create a route, click "send to device" and select Garmin. It then goes to a screen wanting me to connect to my Garmin Connect Account. I don't want to do that, I just want to download the file onto my computer, but it gives me no option to do that. It just gives me the option to either connect to the Garmin site or go back to the previous screen.

I've looked in 'My Settings' in RWGPS and have made sure that my account is not linked to any type of navigational device at all.

Any suggestions as to how to revert to my previous method of file transfer would be much appreciated.

I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: RWGPS and Garmin 1030 What have I done ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2024, 04:22:25 pm »
Do you not get an option to 'Export GPX File'?

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:04:36 pm »
Stick RWGPS app on your Edge and be done with these manual efforts and cables?

« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:09:07 pm »
Do you not get an option to 'Export GPX File'?
No, not given the option.

« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:10:54 pm »

But I like to create my routes from a big monitor, not a small screen. (My eyesight's not the best).

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:25:43 pm »
(Sorry, ignore my previous now-deleted response, it was for Strava not RWGPS!)

In RWGPS, go into the top menu, Jump To> Routes;
Select a route;
on the Left-hand side below the Name and route statistics, there's a big orange button: Export FIT File, with 3 dots on it.
Click the 3 dots > More Export Options.
You can select TCX or GPS from there, but your edge will accept the default FIT file too, so you don't need to use TCX or GPX anyway.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2024, 05:26:54 pm »

But I like to create my routes from a big monitor, not a small screen. (My eyesight's not the best).

I don't use this method, but I expect you can plan the routes on the PC and they will show up on the app (assuming they are both signed into the same RWGPS account), which can just be used to sync them over?

« Reply #7 on: 04 February, 2024, 06:20:20 pm »

You still would, it’s just the exporting, connecting your Edge etc stuff that you’ll no longer need to do. The app on your Edge would download them direct from your RWGPS account. It doesn’t care whether you created them on your PC or phone. It’s not talking to the phone app.

« Reply #8 on: 04 February, 2024, 08:17:30 pm »
Interesting, I wasn't even aware that there was a phone app for RWGPS.

Lots or other helpful suggestions as well.

Thanks.

« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2024, 09:08:23 pm »

I also construct routes on a PC, in Brouter mainly (also ridewithgps & strava), download gpx file, then upload in ridewithgps (still on PC).  The routes on PC ridewithgps, sync with my ridewithgps app on my phone.  Then I turn Edge 830 on and click on IQ (ridewithgps installed as an IQ app on garmin connect), find my route listed, then 'download and ride'.
This does mean using the phone as a bluetooth 'intermediary', but it all works very well; IME.

Note:  As part of the general setup, I've NOT been tempted to allow garmin access to phone notifications to display on edge unit.  Heard some issues with turning these off easily, once activated.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2024, 09:35:46 pm »

This does mean using the phone as a bluetooth 'intermediary', but it all works very well; IME.

The Edge 1030 has Wi-Fi and therefore in the OPs case it could download directly over that, without needing the phone as an Internet Bridge.

« Reply #11 on: 04 February, 2024, 10:30:02 pm »

The Edge 1030 has Wi-Fi and therefore in the OPs case it could download directly over that, without needing the phone as an Internet Bridge.

Yes, good point - so does my Edge 830.  I think I may have used Garmin connect app to set it all up, rather than Garmin Express - can't remember.  I guess Garmin try and get you to use the phone.  My edge is connected to wifi, but I'm not actually sure what data transfers between PC-Phone-edge using either BT vs wifi. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson