Author Topic: Sky  (Read 6028 times)

Sky
« on: 08 January, 2010, 02:58:38 pm »
I'm somewhat suprised that no-one has commented on the launch and the prospects for the team yet.

My pennyworth - a hugeley professional start, and an interesting line-up. Superb back up - the best of everything; staff, bikes (well, except it isn't Campag - shame!), even team cars.

Will the transfer tactics lead to other teams "ganging up" to prevent Sky wins? I'm going to be watching with great interest.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Sky
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2010, 05:32:39 pm »
I wouldn't mind some of the kit, to show support for Bradley & local boy Geraint, but I hate giving money to Murdoch's Evil Empire.  >:(

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2010, 05:46:32 pm »
I wouldn't mind some of the kit, to show support for Bradley & local boy Geraint, but I hate giving money to Murdoch's Evil Empire.  >:(
I suspect that the team will cost Murdoch's Evil Empire far mor than they make from it!  So it's a GOOD thing!!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2010, 08:53:38 pm »
My pennyworth - a hugeley professional start, and an interesting line-up. Superb back up - the best of everything; staff, bikes (well, except it isn't Campag - shame!), even team cars.

My reaction is one of puzzlement.  We're told that they've got a budget that puts them in a select 'super league', akin to the position of Arsenal or Man U.  And this does indeed appear to be reflected in their team infrastructure.  But their rider roster looks quite ordinary, more like an average Premier League club.  Glancing at the UCI Rankings, their only rider in the top 15 seems to be Boassen Hagen.  Wiggins could yet prove to be a top star but I don't think he's quite there yet.  From what we're told you'd think they could afford better.
Aero but not dynamic

gonzo

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2010, 09:05:54 pm »
From what we're told you'd think they could afford better.

It's more difficult to get the top riders if you've said that you're only going to look at riders who've never been involved in anything drug related!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2010, 08:28:24 am »
From what we're told you'd think they could afford better.

It's more difficult to get the top riders if you've said that you're only going to look at riders who've never been involved in anything drug related!

Good point !
Aero but not dynamic

fuzzy

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:42:29 pm »
I am going to be throwing my weight full on behind Team Sky. At last I have a team that I want to shout for again. I've missed being a team groupie since the demise of Saeco.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:51:28 pm »
Does this mean we have a licence to get team replica kit and fill it with bellies?  I haven't done that since Z-Peugeot!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2010, 07:54:56 pm »
Does this mean we have a licence to get team replica kit and fill it with bellies?  I haven't done that since Z-Peugeot!

Can I haz a bellie?

Thnxbai

« Reply #9 on: 17 January, 2010, 12:02:55 pm »
Good to see them winning

BBC Sport - Cycling - Team Sky make stunning race debut with one-two finish

It might not be a prestigious event but a win is a win.  Why did the report have to mention Armstrong though ? He's had his day.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 17 January, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »
Good to see them winning

BBC Sport - Cycling - Team Sky make stunning race debut with one-two finish

It might not be a prestigious event but a win is a win.  Why did the report have to mention Armstrong though ? He's had his day.

Cos Armstrong was in the major move of the day?

After that performance, everything else is going to be second rate performance wise.  ;D Look for the battle of the leadout trains in the big tours.. a team to challence HTC Columbia.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #11 on: 17 January, 2010, 05:12:30 pm »
A dream start, and against some quality opposition (Greipel, McEwan, Cooke) - a job well done !
Aero but not dynamic

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 17 January, 2010, 10:11:27 pm »
Blimey, what a start. That's what you might call a statement of intent. I think this may count as a reason to be interested in the Tour of Aus for once. How exciting!

By the way, if anyone wants a jersey:
Team Sky | Pro Cycling | Competition

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 17 January, 2010, 10:24:56 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiMj6agjk6M&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MiMj6agjk6M&rel=1</a>

rdaviesb

« Reply #14 on: 17 January, 2010, 11:05:56 pm »

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #15 on: 17 January, 2010, 11:46:14 pm »
It looked like HTC columbia panicked a bit and cooked their goose with the leadout too early. They will go back and look at that again.

When they have sorted that out, July will be a lot of fun to watch two well drilled squads going head to head.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #16 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:02:03 am »
Not convinced Sky will be a sprint team in July - they fought for Wiggins and now have to back him for yellow.  Columbia on the other hand are going all out for green and Tony Martin will have to look after himself.

Milan San Remo will be very interesting though. :)

fuzzy

« Reply #17 on: 18 January, 2010, 09:43:30 am »
A good start for the team and a real statement of intent. I'm looking forward to the entertainment that this year seems to promise.

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 18 January, 2010, 10:44:51 am »
It looked like HTC columbia panicked a bit and cooked their goose with the leadout too early. They will go back and look at that again.

It looked like Henderson was in the wrong place to take advantage of the leadout. Cav doesn't usually make that kind of mistake, and even if he does, he has the massive kick to compensate.

d.

« Reply #19 on: 23 January, 2010, 12:11:31 am »
Sky Sports 1 are showing Tour Down Under live now. I just stumbled upon it. I quite like the coverage so far. Not a fan of Boardman's beard though

« Reply #20 on: 23 January, 2010, 08:52:41 pm »
Sky Sports 1 are showing Tour Down Under live now. I just stumbled upon it. I quite like the coverage so far. Not a fan of Boardman's beard though

It was on in the pub last night as well.

Chris Boardman's beard just looks so wrong.  :o ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #21 on: 23 January, 2010, 09:19:02 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #22 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:07:57 am »
Blimey, what a start. That's what you might call a statement of intent. I think this may count as a reason to be interested in the Tour of Aus for once. How exciting!

By the way, if anyone wants a jersey:
Team Sky | Pro Cycling | Competition

d.

I'd like a jersey to show support, but am I the only the who thinks the design is disappointing? It's very bland  by comparision with other teams.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:16:12 am »
I'd like a jersey to show support, but am I the only the who thinks the design is disappointing? It's very bland  by comparision with other teams.

I think it looks good from the front but not at all from the back.  And I'm disappointed that calf length black socks are still much in evidence.  :(
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2010, 09:56:49 am »
Being a subscriber to several pro cycling magazines, I am looking forward to a 'home' team to support.  I appreciate I am not English, but when in Rome blah blah blah  ;D
It is the ethos of this team that gives me hope.
Wiggins is half Australian anyway  ;D