Author Topic: Have you seen any Olympic teams out training?  (Read 5269 times)

AndyK

Have you seen any Olympic teams out training?
« on: 31 July, 2012, 08:09:36 am »
Saw these guys today. At first I thought it was a post TdF thing, then realised they were all on mtbs. I'm thinking they may be one of the mtb event teams out for a training ride. The mtb event is being held just up the road at Hadleigh Castle. All their bikes had sponsor logos (canyon.com), all had the same sponsors on their jerseys. Possibly the Swiss team?

Re: Teams out training?
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2012, 08:23:38 am »
Swiss?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

AndyK

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2012, 08:29:52 am »
I thought maybe German at first going by the Canyon logos on their bikes, but then noticed what looks like the Swiss flag on the jerseys.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 31 July, 2012, 08:37:04 am »
<SNIP>, but then noticed what looks like the Swiss flag on the jerseys.

Bit of a give away that, isn't it? :D
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:38:32 am »
I thought maybe German at first going by the Canyon logos on their bikes, but then noticed what looks like the Swiss flag on the jerseys.

Its nice to see things like that  :thumbsup:
I saw a couple of people out on road bikes in the same kit.

AndyK

« Reply #5 on: 31 July, 2012, 09:40:39 am »
<SNIP>, but then noticed what looks like the Swiss flag on the jerseys.

Bit of a give away that, isn't it? :D

We passed quite quickly, and I only noticed the flag on reviewing the video.  ;)

They were quite disciplined too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bEO1CndKnW0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bEO1CndKnW0&rel=1</a>

And going by a couple of their expressions they were thinking, "Wo sind die Berge?"

red marley

Re: Have you seen any Olympic teams out training?
« Reply #6 on: 31 July, 2012, 02:15:46 pm »
The Spanish women's speed walking team. They were walking faster than I would be able to run.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7 on: 31 July, 2012, 02:18:22 pm »
Out in Reigate last week, I spied a bloke in a USA type strip (stars round the edge of the shorts, that sort of thing) on a grey BMC. He looked a bit lost and was conversing with his mate on a motorbike.

I bet he was just some fanboi though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 31 July, 2012, 02:27:58 pm »
Derny riders training?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #9 on: 01 August, 2012, 09:51:43 am »
My wife was having a coffe in Kingston town centre yesyerday, when the Irish ladies triathlon team came in for refreshements, having been on a training ride.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #10 on: 01 August, 2012, 01:12:24 pm »
I saw a cyclist on what could have been a Cervelo P5 http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2012/P5/ by the looks of it, however there was black duct tape stuck all over it (the bicycle was red and blue) and so I'm not entirely sure. The rider was wearing red and blue kit, again with tape covering various bits up.

Even if they weren't an Olympian, it was pretty damn cool :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #11 on: 01 August, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »
My mum met the Russian ladies mountain bike team in the petrol station near her house (Brentwood) the other day. They'd been out training and had stopped off for treats.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #12 on: 01 August, 2012, 02:15:34 pm »
My mum met the Russian ladies mountain bike team in the petrol station near her house (Brentwood) the other day. They'd been out training and had stopped off for treats.

Ginsters and Frijj? Please, please, please!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

AndyK

« Reply #13 on: 01 August, 2012, 02:21:26 pm »
Don't competitors have to be very careful about what they eat in case something flags up in a drug test?

« Reply #14 on: 01 August, 2012, 02:45:52 pm »
Spanish beef in the pasties?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2012, 10:56:06 am »

We passed quite quickly, and I only noticed the flag on reviewing the video.  ;)

They were quite disciplined too.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bEO1CndKnW0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bEO1CndKnW0&rel=1</a>

And going by a couple of their expressions they were thinking, "Wo sind die Berge?"

Andy can you take that video down, just in case some tosser's from SBC see it and puts some spin on it about 'if the cycle path is good enough for olympic athletes......'  >:(  ;)

AndyK

« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:05:34 am »
They looked quite nervous, and I did wonder what they thought of Southend's world class cycling infrastructure. I would imagine an Olympic team being involved in a seafront pile-up would be a bit of a disaster, mostly for them, but also PR-wise for the clowncil.

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:11:24 am »
"Andy can you take that video down, just in case some tosser's from SBC see it and puts some spin on it about 'if the cycle path is good enough for olympic athletes......'   

Surely not, and if we take that video down how many other posts etc do we revisit?

The other side of the coin is that if road closures can be achieved without all that much disruption then lets have lots more!

« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:58:56 am »
They looked quite nervous, and I did wonder what they thought of Southend's world class cycling infrastructure. I would imagine an Olympic team being involved in a seafront pile-up would be a bit of a disaster, mostly for them, but also PR-wise for the clowncil.

Its not funny, but there is something that makes me laugh.

Btw I spotted today, not anyone out riding or anything, but a Dutch plated Transit van with a load of Rabobank stuff all over it going into Sainsburys car park this morning.

« Reply #19 on: 05 August, 2012, 08:43:37 am »
"Andy can you take that video down, just in case some tosser's from SBC see it and puts some spin on it about 'if the cycle path is good enough for olympic athletes......'   

Surely not, and if we take that video down how many other posts etc do we revisit?

The other side of the coin is that if road closures can be achieved without all that much disruption then lets have lots more!

I think he was joking ...
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

AndyK

« Reply #20 on: 08 August, 2012, 06:49:31 pm »
Couple from the Czech team today: