Author Topic: Washing machine recommendations...  (Read 13440 times)

Re: Washing machine recomendations
« Reply #50 on: 11 September, 2017, 02:45:32 pm »
We've had excellent service and reliability from Bosch so I'd buy another.

We did in fact.

« Reply #51 on: 11 September, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »
Dont buy a really cheap one. I did once and it shook itself to bits about 1 month after the warranty expired. We now have had two Boschs. The first was used almost every day for about 15 years before it finally died (small boys + pets generate lots of washing). The latest we have only had a couple of years but hopefully it will last just as well.

I would look at what features you need and then buy one of the better makes that matches those. Maybe look for end of line / last years model. Miele stuff is very good (we are on our second Miele fridge freezer - the first lasted 20 years and all it really needed was a new door seal when we swapped it) but very spendy.

I don'y know about Samsung, I like their TVs but have no experience of their white-goods.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #52 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:02:13 pm »
I'd say buy cheap, most should come with 5 years guarantee, thank you consumer credit act, when it breaks bin it and get another.

Having had a play  with a modern machine to replace the bearing and finding the whole thing sealed.  So was binned and replaced.

Current one came from freecycle and has done a couple of years hassle free.  Apart from stripping out the soap draw as it was quite mouldy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:12:34 pm »
I bought a Miele 17 years ago.
It's been fine.
It wasn't cheap but was the simplest on offer.

I think this topic has been discussed here before.

Re: Washing machine recommendations...
« Reply #54 on: 11 September, 2017, 03:32:10 pm »
We've found Bosch to be a reasonable compromise. Our current machine is going on 15 years old with no issues, and it get used 4 times a week a least. I'd certainly buy another if I had to. The only thing we find on occasion is a reluctance to go straight into the fastest spin if the load is slight;y out of balance. Solved by doing a 400 spin before the 1600.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #55 on: 11 September, 2017, 06:13:52 pm »
Look for something with an induction motor. Washing machine that hums instead of screams when spinning at full speed is great. And no brushes to wear out and frustrate you that although they could be replaced in principle, it's not really worth it...

dim

« Reply #56 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:02:08 pm »
Whirlpool or Miele if you want one that will last long
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #57 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:16:52 pm »
We've had excellent service and reliability from Bosch so I'd buy another.
+1.

« Reply #58 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »
Our Bev had a Miele washing machine that gave up the ghost after year 10. No issues with the 10 year
warranty she had for it.

« Reply #59 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:56:36 am »
Hoover 1600 spin speed 15 + years old two washes a week, never been repaired, why pay more

« Reply #60 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:10:10 am »
Look for something with an induction motor. Washing machine that hums instead of screams when spinning at full speed is great. And no brushes to wear out and frustrate you that although they could be replaced in principle, it's not really worth it...

We did pay a little more for a model with an induction motor this time - about £30 more iirc.   The old one which lasted best part of 15 years had a motor with brushes.   I was able to replace the brushes but the commutator was also worn and the machine was dead.   The motor is a lot quieter though I can still hear the machine spinning from the bedroom which is one floor up and at the other end of the house.

It was only twice the price of a replacement motor for the old Bosch to buy the new Bosch machine though we chose a 7kgs version.     

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #61 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:15:08 am »
Went from a cheap Indesit which was brilliant and lasted years and years to a Bosch which was somewhat disappointing. When it developed a fault we decided not to have it repaired (even though Bosch machines are very repairable) and instead bought a Miele.

Even the Miele hasn't been 100% fault-free as the heater element failed after a couple of years. Luckily we found a local independent Miele-approved repairer to fix it who was a lot cheaper than having Miele do it. He even installed a software update during his visit. I'd never thought there was a need to re-boot a washing machine before.
Pen Pusher

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #62 on: 12 September, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »
Our local repair man swears off Bosch as "They've really gone downhill" and recommends Beko as a no frills and easy to fix appliance. Maybe it's because they keep him in work... but not so far. The dishwasher and tumble dryer are giving good service.
However the washing machine is a John Lewis own-brand and has been excellent.

As for Samsung, we have a fridge freezer by them which has been great for about 10 years now, with the sole exception of the light which failed very quickly and has resisted all my attempts to free the bulb.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #63 on: 12 September, 2017, 01:59:32 pm »
Due to the size and layout of my kitchen I'm limited to the size of washing machine I can have. Max depth 55 cm.
Bosch fits the bill. As someone mentioned up-thread, I have also made the mistake of overloading the drum with
clothes. My first Bosch (purchased in 2006) lasted 9 years. I then purchased a reconditioned one (with a 6 month
guarantee. That lasted until two weeks ago (problem with motor). Bought another reconditioned one for £165.

Must remember not to overload machine with too much washing. Anyhow, Rob (member of cycling club who owns
a business supplying 2nd hand white goods) told me that the quality of some Bosch machines aren't as good as
they used to be (emphasising that the ones made in Poland and Spain are a bit rubbish).

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #64 on: 12 September, 2017, 03:20:59 pm »
So it seems that buying a ten or 15 year old machine new is what I need to do :)

I'm leaving the Indesit and have bought a Bosch. The Miele would have been nice but a bit too pricey.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #65 on: 12 September, 2017, 03:53:11 pm »
Maybe I'm paranoid or misremembering but I associate Beko with 'nasty fire'.
Will Google.

« Reply #66 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:19:49 pm »
I'd say buy cheap, most should come with 5 years guarantee, thank you consumer credit act, when it breaks bin it and get another.

We went medium-cheap with a Beko washer-dryer (I know, but space is limited) when we bought our first place a couple of years ago - about a week before the first year's warranty expired the drying stopped working.

Logged a call with the engineer, who was duly despatched to repair it free of charge...long story short, he said if you're not spending silly money you may as well look towards the lower end as there's very little difference once you get into the middle ranges from any manufacturer.

Also went through extended warranties as we'd had a reminder through about extending it through KnowHow - he said paying the c.£130 was incredible value as it basically meant we wouldn't have to worry about anything breaking in that time as it would just be replaced.

The bit that stuck in my mind though was one nugget; '...and of course, if it needs a complete replacement they'll take the old one away when they bring the new one in'!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

« Reply #67 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:22:03 pm »
I'll take the opportunity to chip in - If you look upthread, I went for a John Lewis own-brand (re-engineered, not just re-badged Zanussi) which has been delivering at least two washes per week, faultlessly, since 2011. I think it was either their most basic machine, or the next one up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:50:14 pm »
As for Samsung, we have a fridge freezer by them which has been great for about 10 years now, with the sole exception of the light which failed very quickly and has resisted all my attempts to free the bulb.

Has anyone ever had a fridge/freezer break though?  I mean, there was an ancient one in my student house that had an earth leakage problem, and the thermostat on our current one (13years old or so) gets stuck in the 'on' position for a night every 6 months or so.  But surely they last 10+ years and eventually get replaced as all the plastic bits turn yellow and snap off.

Nothing a bit of Internet Of Shit won't fix, of course.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #69 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:53:16 pm »

Has anyone ever had a fridge/freezer break though?  I mean, there was an ancient one in my student house that had an earth leakage problem, and the thermostat on our current one (13years old or so) gets stuck in the 'on' position for a night every 6 months or so.  But surely they last 10+ years and eventually get replaced as all the plastic bits turn yellow and snap off.

Nothing a bit of Internet Of Shit won't fix, of course.

Yes. Ours stopped freezing 2 weeks before Xmas one year. It was a Samsung and had been shit ever since delivery.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #70 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:14:27 pm »
One of my sister's buys cheap and has warranties for all of her appliances.  She has regular repairs so thinks that the warranty is a good thing.  Our last Bosch washing machine cost £20 a year - far less than her warranted Indesits.

« Reply #71 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:22:41 pm »
Input from here.
We had a Siemens which lasted 14 years on about four or five washes a week. This period included the early years of our two. We shed a tear when it finally failed. (I gave it a thorough de-skank a couple of times.)

Replaced that with a Miele bottom of their range. My perception os that Mieles come in the same package and the price differential is driven by hom many different wash cycles they offer. We only ever use two so it seemed pretty simple to go for the base model.

One other tip (I think) to help the longevity, is not to ever spin at the machine's fastest speed.
Rust never sleeps

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #72 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:02:08 pm »

One other tip (I think) to help the longevity, is not to ever spin at the machine's fastest speed.

Though the extra you pay in drying costs may counter that. Especially in Scotland.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #73 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:14:23 pm »

Though the extra you pay in drying costs may counter that. Especially in Scotland.

I use a rotary drier in the garden, so the drying cost is practically nil.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #74 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:37:54 pm »

We have Hebridean neighbours. The washing is put out and it stays there until it's dry, however long it takes.
Rust never sleeps