Author Topic: Life of Brian - not funny any more?  (Read 5514 times)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Life of Brian - not funny any more?
« Reply #25 on: 11 May, 2009, 12:51:42 am »
We had to go to Basildon to watch LoB because Southend Borough Council had banned it. I suspect that ban is still in place.
It got the cinema in Stornoway closed down - it was 25 years before a new one opened

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 11 May, 2009, 08:45:32 am »
...and that one only opens on Sundays.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 11 May, 2009, 08:50:49 am »
My memory of seeing the film when it first came out is of thinking how timid it was. The makers appeared to be falling over backwards to avoid any direct poke at real religions.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #28 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:07:09 am »
We had to go to Basildon to watch LoB because Southend Borough Council had banned it. I suspect that ban is still in place.

I believe the ban was later lifted and the film shown at the (old) Odeon.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 11 May, 2009, 01:36:50 pm »
My memory of seeing the film when it first came out is of thinking how timid it was. The makers appeared to be falling over backwards to avoid any direct poke at real religions.

It was really poking fun at all religion (the blind following of).

PS.  There IS an animal called a Balm.

Zoidburg

« Reply #30 on: 11 May, 2009, 05:16:11 pm »
It got the cinema in Stornoway closed down - it was 25 years before a new one opened
Closed?

Or put to the flame by a mob weilding torches and pitchforks?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #31 on: 11 May, 2009, 09:10:30 pm »
ISTR that Palin wrote sketches about speech impediments because he suffered with a stammer in his younger days.

Either way, the "thwow him to the gwound" scene is a comedy masterpiece.

Edit: it wasn't Michael Palin but his father Edward who had the stammer.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #32 on: 11 May, 2009, 10:33:58 pm »
It's "thwow him to the floow", actually - tchoh, modern standards of education ..

What's the difference between a stammer and a stutter?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 12 May, 2009, 12:17:14 am »
One's weaselly distinguishable and the other's stoatally different? Hang on...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #34 on: 12 May, 2009, 09:03:16 am »

"Stutter" is effectively the medical word for a stammer.

Stuttering is characterised by repetitions, pauses, or drawn out syllables, words, and phrases.  It is a language disfluency.  There is no known cause of stuttering. Some believe that it has a physical cause and that it might be related to a breakdown in the neurological system. Stuttering starts early in life and often is inherited. Brain scan research has revealed that there might be abnormalities in the brains of stutterers, while they are stuttering. Myths about why stuttering occurs abound. Some cultures believe that stuttering is caused by emotional problems, tickling an infant too much or because a mother ate improperly during breastfeeding. None have been proven to be true. It is believed that some drugs might induce stuttering-like conditions. These include antidepressants, antihistamines, tranquilizers and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #35 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:21:26 pm »

Stuttering is characterised by repetitions, pauses, or drawn out syllables, words, and phrases.  It is a language disfluency.  There is no known cause of stuttering. Some believe that it has a physical cause and that it might be related to a breakdown in the neurological system. Stuttering starts early in life and often is inherited. Brain scan research has revealed that there might be abnormalities in the brains of stutterers, while they are stuttering. Myths about why stuttering occurs abound. Some cultures believe that stuttering is caused by emotional problems, tickling an infant too much or because a mother ate improperly during breastfeeding. None have been proven to be true. It is believed that some drugs might induce stuttering-like conditions. These include antidepressants, antihistamines, tranquilizers and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

Thanks, very interesting - I just hope nobody with a stammer ever has to read that out though, we'd be there all day ...

« Reply #36 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:33:24 pm »
Reg's loves a good Google - wot? :D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #37 on: 12 May, 2009, 04:34:02 pm »

My ex wife used to have a similar effect on me.

« Reply #38 on: 12 May, 2009, 10:19:43 pm »

Thanks, very interesting - I just hope nobody with a stammer ever has to read that out though, we'd be there all day ...
Naah - a lot of us only stammer when under stress, & have learned strategies for minimising it. Some of us surprise people who've known us for years by suddenly losing it. I could read that out loud fast & fluently - but in the company of strangers might stumble over the first few words.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #39 on: 13 May, 2009, 09:05:03 am »
Good on you Bled - another thing is that although there are plenty of 'normal' people like me who are pathetic speakers, often people with a stutter are strong and interesting and you don't really notice the stutter, as with Tourettes.