Author Topic: Factual errors in novels  (Read 6452 times)

Re: Factual errors in novels
« Reply #50 on: 25 March, 2016, 12:14:09 am »
One of the Swallows and Amazons books had a plot device where the kids deduced which tyre was which when they were hunting for a bicycle with two different makes of tyre on it.
Which one? I don't remember that.

One of the Norfolk Broads ones. Coot Club? Think it was the lad with a camera who did the deduction in question.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 25 March, 2016, 01:09:04 am »
Definitely one of the Norfolk Broads stories but I think it might have been The Big Six. I remember that tracing the bike in question was something to do with Dunlop tyres as opposed to John Bull.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #52 on: 25 March, 2016, 10:05:12 am »
Yes - The big six. They photographed tyre tracks to try and trace who was responsible for some vandalism. Though now I think of it the John Bull and Dunlop tyres may have been on different suspects bikes.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #53 on: 26 March, 2016, 08:59:51 am »
Thanks. I always loved those books but, when it came to it, I'm not sure whether the long row on the shelf ever actually included that one. So I read it on Kindle yesterday. I don't recall a Ransome in which bikes got quite so many mentions ;D

One of the things I like about the books is the echoes of a world in which kids went off exploring, sailing (and cycling) for a day or more at a time. And I always remember the use of Semaphore in The Picts and the Martyrs and others.

« Reply #54 on: 26 March, 2016, 11:44:38 am »
For factual errors, I give you anything written by an American set in London.

I rather like The Rook (The Checquy Files Book 1), but it's full of people driving in central London to get around in a hurry, and everyone having guns, and just driving up to Scotland and back for the morning!
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #55 on: 26 March, 2016, 12:13:41 pm »
For factual errors, I give you anything written by an American set in London outside America (and even then...).

FTFY
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #56 on: 26 March, 2016, 11:37:49 pm »
One of the Swallows and Amazons books had a plot device where the kids deduced which tyre was which when they were hunting for a bicycle with two different makes of tyre on it.
John Bull's and Dunlops. I think it was 'The Big Six', set in the Broads
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes