Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Last post by Feanor on Today at 11:01:25 pm »
The FB2700 is possibly the worst thermally managed product I own.

The top and bottom are solid sheets of aluminium, with no holes.
The only holes are on the sides.
There are no fans. ( That's fine!)

The original PSUs died a heat-death within a few years.
They released a hacked PSU with a heatsink, which also died.
Then, they released an all-new PSU which ran cooler, for the 2900. This was made available for the 2700 too, and is OK so far.

It's still fairly warm to touch.

But yes, the re-boot time is impressive.

But for me, a big plus was the ability to shut down a bunch of other machines because I could do it all in one small box.
I've shut down the Asterisk box, because I no longer need an analog line card.
Yes, the FB can't do all the fancy stuffs you can do in Asterisk, but it can do all I actually need.

The Pub / Re: Tune Association II - Son of Tune Association
« Last post by canny colin on Today at 10:43:06 pm »
Love On A Mountain Top ~ Robert Knight
Health & Fitness / Re: Cycling after achilles tendon rupture
« Last post by FifeingEejit on Today at 10:40:54 pm »
Does anyone have any advice or experience to share of returning to cycling after an achilles tendon rupture? Previously a fit, healthy and active 63 year old cyclist, I suffered an achilles tendon rupture in February of this year. I spent 8 weeks in a plastic cast which came off 4 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I had my first cycle ride. First impressions was that I could do it without falling over. But I have three limitations:
One is general loss of fitness after 8 weeks of limited mobility.
Two is muscle wasting of the calf which makes the cycling action feel awkward and lop sided. It feels like one leg is shorter than the other  (although it isn't)
Three is stiffness of the ankle joint makes clipping in and out of pedals difficult and painful.
So far, I've managed short town rides and a couple of 30km rides. After these two rides I was exhausted for the rest of the day.
I realise it is early days but I would interested if anyone has any experience of how long it ls likely to take to get back to 'normal'?
Thanks

The first thing you've got to recognise is all that fitness you had before the injury, it's Gone.
The second thing is all those restrictions you've identified, they're either train out able or "life altering" (a term I use loosely here)
Presumably you've been referred to physio to get thing moving as much as you can yeah?

I've now got restricted range in both ankles, so I can't step down as well as I used to, the physio was happy with what I'd recovered range wise.
It's a problem hiking but not when cycling.

Focus on the recovery exercises first, there's no point rushing back on the bike and causing more damage with movements like unclipping or over-extending on the downstroke.

You lose different bits of fitness at different speeds, the endurance is usually still there after a reasonable period off the bike but the speed, you need to rebuild that, and if you've gained weight off the bike that's another thing to deal with.

One of the things my latest physio noticed was that might right calf was considerably smaller than my left, all those years compensating for the weaknesses..., it's getting there with weighted calf raises once a week (originally every day unweighted)
« Last post by Séamas M. on Today at 10:39:59 pm »
Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees
Where The Wild Things Are / Re: Gratuitous cat pics - new and improved!
« Last post by Kim on Today at 10:33:42 pm »
Serious catitude.
Caption It / Re: Caption it #2088
« Last post by meddyg on Today at 10:25:59 pm »
Cardinals Ximenez Cardinal Biggles and Cardinal Fang greet El nuevo Rey Carlos....

'Could we call you Cardinal Sin?'

Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Last post by Kim on Today at 10:16:33 pm »
Took advantage of barakta's absence to put the finishing stages of Operation Firebrick into effect.  This seems to have been reasonably successful, even if it did involve turning dozens of firewall rules inside-out.

I'm astounded by how few electrons it needs.  My AC power meter reports 2W with a power factor of 1, which suggests that you need a more precise power meter to do it justice.  Heat dissipation as measured by fondling the case concurs.

It also manages to reboot in approximately a tenth of the time of the Ethernet switch it's attached to...
The Pub / Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Last post by Tod28 on Today at 10:13:02 pm »
but do you think I could jibble the cylinder so that it would slide out of the door? No, I could not. Gave up.
Bah.

Did you set the key to be slightly off vertical? Sometimes the lever in the key barrel that operates the lock is not fully retracted in line with the barrel when the key is vertical to prevent the barrel being removed when the key is not present.
OT Knowledge / Re: rainwater harvesting
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 10:00:39 pm »
Whilst these are all good engineering solutions, I'm still coming back to the "why" i.e. why the top overflow stopped working, which I think is coming back to the alignment caused by possible aging.  One or other of these solutions is likely to be useful in soem way though
« Last post by spesh on Today at 09:48:46 pm »
The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10