Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 112751 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #50 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:21:11 pm »
I know I'm a girl but I don't see how anyone can ride a 4001 without needing a toilet stop.

Toilet stops mean touching surfaces and possibly disseminating the virus. Hand-washing facilities are often poor, whatever your intentions.

1) Even 100 km without a loo is a challenge to many.

I've ridden a 700 with no toilet stop, you just have to ride hard enough to dehydrate yourself so you don't want to go, and rely on low fibre food like gels. 

Unfortunately the MR24 isn't running this year 😥

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:36:30 pm »

I don't understand how it can be the socially responsible thing to open up events, even if DIY's unless it's for everyone across the country. So no regionalisation.

My hope is that AUK do not resume stuff until at least September, assuming we don't have a second peak in the mean time. I would not be upset if they didn't do any events, including DIY/Perm, until 2021.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #52 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:45:46 pm »
Is audax likely to be progressively restarted or ‘all or nothing’?

Yes.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #53 on: 25 May, 2020, 09:51:13 pm »
Good. Again, which FF option is the Board aiming for?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #54 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:22:48 pm »
The first one.

Or the second one.

It depends.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #55 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:28:12 pm »
You are not in a position to answer that question, but the Board is.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #56 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:35:57 pm »

I don't understand how it can be the socially responsible thing to open up events, even if DIY's unless it's for everyone across the country.

Why not?

Ben T

« Reply #57 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:08:49 pm »

2) is the board considering a return to poems before calendar events

When anybody knows
Or policy grows
To burn off the lard
With a brevet card
It is certain to be expressed in prose.

« Reply #58 on: 26 May, 2020, 06:58:42 am »

Which begs the question again why do you keep asking on here?

« Reply #59 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:06:43 am »

A third of the the population has put put on half a stone each during lockdown.

Wow. But feel better that it's not just me!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #60 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:27:10 am »

2) is the board considering a return to poems before calendar events

When anybody knows
Or policy grows
To burn off the lard
With a brevet card
It is certain to be expressed in prose.
7/10
Shows definite promise!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

S2L

« Reply #61 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:33:32 am »

The other 2/3rds have lost it...  ;D

Seriously... there was nothing in the regulations that prevented from doing weight loss activities, but a lot that prevented weight gain activities, with bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants closed...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #62 on: 26 May, 2020, 07:57:06 am »

Seriously... there was nothing in the regulations that prevented from doing weight loss activities, but a lot that prevented weight gain activities, with bars, pubs, cafes and restaurants closed...

Yep, the whole not living out of hotels and restaurants thing, plus being able to ride my bike more has given me a 5% weight drop since March.

The board is right to take a cautious approach to defining the future direction of AUK. This will be a time of massive change, events will be fundamentally different for the foreseeable future if, indeed, they are viable.

DIY and perms may well be possible sooner of course, but AUK needs to be ready for, potentially, 2 seasons with no significant events and having the capacity (sorry to sound like Hancock) for a potentially large increase in DIY submissions.

My suspicion is that any event with sleeping accommodation will have to be fundamentally changed, and may well be unviable or the preserve of the wealthiest riders (if the BCM (for example) could only accommodate say 50 riders at Kings, entry costs may have to go up considerably)(either because of the limited capacity or the requirement to have two sleep facilities hired).

It will be a challenging time for us all.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #63 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:11:34 am »
Good post.

Yes in practical terms a complete resumptioin of Calendar events just isn't going to happen.  For a start, if and when the current lock on event entries is lifted, I can well imagine half the organisers turning round and saying "oh no, I thought my event was cancelled, I don't want to run it any more".  For the rest, well the whole process of gathering entries has to be gone through before anything can be ridden, and I would guess that entry levels will be well down on what was expected/budgeted for.  By July few people will have the fitness to contemplate anything longer than a 200.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

S2L

« Reply #64 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:17:21 am »

My suspicion is that any event with sleeping accommodation will have to be fundamentally changed, and may well be unviable or the preserve of the wealthiest riders (if the BCM (for example) could only accommodate say 50 riders at Kings, entry costs may have to go up considerably)(either because of the limited capacity or the requirement to have two sleep facilities hired).

It will be a challenging time for us all.

50? They don't even have 50 beds... 20 at a push, one per bunk bed (as opposed to two)... and even then...

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #65 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:18:08 am »

Yep, the whole not living out of hotels and restaurants thing, plus being able to ride my bike more has given me a 5% weight drop since March.

7.5% down for me, lack of access to food (empty supermarkets early days, no fast food, no popping in to shop for chocolate or fizzy drinks) has me at my lowest weight for many years. Stepped on the scales this morning to find my BMI is now down to 25

Overnight events will be very tricky, I wonder what the restrictions on hotels will be, deep cleaning between guests,? rooms empty for a period between guests? All likely to significantly increase the cost of a single night in a travelodge, making even diy 600s expensive unless run as two loops from home.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

S2L

« Reply #66 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:33:25 am »

Overnight events will be very tricky, I wonder what the restrictions on hotels will be, deep cleaning between guests,? rooms empty for a period between guests? All likely to significantly increase the cost of a single night in a travelodge, making even diy 600s expensive unless run as two loops from home.

Travel in general will become more expensive for quite some time. A combination of fewer customers and increased running costs means budget hotels will struggle.

I'm down to 67.5 kg, from 73 pre-lockdown... BMI now is 22, it's almost a stone and it means trousers don't fit anymore... feels great on the bike though

rob

« Reply #67 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:34:09 am »
All this hand wringing about social responsibility is a little off key.

I did quite a long ride yesterday (2 shops and hedges for toilets) which went through a few seaside resorts.   Let me tell you the general public does not GAF about social responsibility.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #68 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:43:09 am »

Which begs the question again why do you keep asking on here?

Because a larger group of experienced and intelligent folk thinking about the problem are more likely to identify all of the issues and to find better mitigation measures than a small group is.

« Reply #69 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:52:32 am »
Because a larger group of experienced and intelligent folk thinking about the problem are more likely to identify all of the issues and to find better mitigation measures than a small group is.

But if none of us are the board, what's the point? Are we asking us to write audax regulation fanfic?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #70 on: 26 May, 2020, 09:58:46 am »
You are welcome to do so. I’ve played that game before.

Davef

« Reply #71 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:06:34 am »

Travel in general will become more expensive for quite some time. A combination of fewer customers and increased running costs means budget hotels will struggle.

I'm down to 67.5 kg, from 73 pre-lockdown... BMI now is 22, it's almost a stone and it means trousers don't fit anymore... feels great on the bike though
I am not sure if that will be the case. Many of the budget chains are pestering me with cheap offers of flexible bookings. Even if it does turn out that hotels costs become a barrier to entry, perhaps audax should move towards a more self sufficient model.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #72 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:21:24 am »
Big chains like Travelodge, premier inn etc. Are opening bookings from 4th July currently - with lots of guarantees on flexibility etc. Obviously, they are in the hands of the government being guided by the science.....and July is purely aspirational currently.

Pain in the arse for those of us that do live out of hotels for work (and making billionaire’s lives easier is not viewed as key work surprisingly) as I currently cannot easily travel away this next month or so; so plenty of day dashes to London, Cotswolds etc. this next few weeks.

Anyway, again, that all pushes the pastime into one for the wealthier and I would not really be comfortable with longer events becoming vastly more expensive and out of the reach for many (and increasingly so as the knock on effects of Covid-19, European trade negotiations and climate change slam into each other over the next few years).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #73 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:24:29 am »
Not because of logic but out of fear or prejudice I suspect some hotels and hotel chains might become more reluctant to allow riders to take bikes into their rooms. Carrying locks of sufficient strength to give me confidence to leave my bike on the street overnight is going to be a real game-changer for me.
Eddington Number = 132

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #74 on: 26 May, 2020, 10:32:00 am »
All this hand wringing about social responsibility is a little off key.

I did quite a long ride yesterday (2 shops and hedges for toilets) which went through a few seaside resorts.   Let me tell you the general public does not GAF about social responsibility.

The disconnect is really quite stark.  You look online and a bunch of people are all posting from their bedrooms, wondering whether everyone on the planet should stay in their bedrooms for the next ten years to avoid one single person dying of c*****9.  Then you go outside and find that everyone else is living their life as normal.

You won't save the world by stopping audax.  Any idea that is predicated on that is false and should be binned.