Author Topic: Will it ever stop?  (Read 5206 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Will it ever stop?
« Reply #50 on: 20 January, 2021, 01:03:36 am »
According to Mine Hostess in Tok AK, when it gets that nippy they do actually close the school.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #51 on: 20 January, 2021, 02:18:24 pm »
A friend of mine emigrated to Canada last summer. His other half is Canadian and I think they wanted to escape the UK before Brexit kicked in, which seems eminently sensible. He's from Hull, so should be used to grim weather, but looking at his OH's recent Facebook posts, he's finding his first Canadian winter a bit of a shock to the system. Mind you, they're in New Brunswick, which I imagine is pretty temperate compared to the depths of inland Canada - she reported a positively balmy -27 the other day, though I'm not sure if that's C or F (what do they use in Canuckistan?).

Their two young daughters seem to be adapting to it much better than him - they love the snow. Maybe the novelty will wear off soon.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #52 on: 20 January, 2021, 02:25:04 pm »
They use Celsius. -27 C is getting towards the F/C convergence point.

The snow novelty value depends on how often you have to dig your car out of the stuff*. Less of an issue at the moment.

*even worse if you volunteer to dig out your elderly neighbour's car and they (a) assume is a lifelong commitment and (b) own a Buick the size of an aircraft carrier.

citoyen

« Reply #53 on: 20 January, 2021, 02:28:07 pm »
Digging cars out of snow is probably not high on the agenda for primary school-age girls - not even in Canada.

Maybe in rural Minnesota though...

« Reply #54 on: 20 January, 2021, 03:15:15 pm »
I liked it when we went to Iceland in the middle of January and it didn't get light until well past 10am, then got dark again just after lunch.

Well, I say I liked it - it was fine for a short holiday. Not sure I'd cope if I had to live with it full time. And not being able to sleep in the summer because it never gets properly dark would also be problematic.

There is something enjoyably mad about swimming outdoors in naturally hot water while it's dark and -20ºC though.

We went to Iceland in May or June years back.  I wanted to climb an old volcano but the tour buses and guides were all over it.  So had our evening meal and then about 10pm headed back out to climb the volcano with no one else around despite the still excellent light.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #55 on: 20 January, 2021, 03:16:10 pm »
Mrs ED has family in Halifax Nova Scotia, we were planning on visiting, way back when and suggested March.  The reply was - OK, but you know there'll still be 6 feet of snow around?

We went in May.

I would expect New Brunswick to be similar?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

« Reply #56 on: 20 January, 2021, 03:44:59 pm »
No idea, but it sounds likely.

Though I imagine people in Manitoba and Saskatchewan laugh at the mildness of the weather in the coastal provinces. And people in Nunavut probably scoff at the Manitobans and Saskatoons when they complain about the cold.

ian

« Reply #57 on: 20 January, 2021, 04:13:08 pm »
The maritime provinces get a fair amount of snow, they get the far edge of the lake-effect snow when that's pushed over by the jet stream into the coastal air mass, and then the nor'easters that roll up the coast to deliver their final hurrah.