Author Topic: Your funeral playlist  (Read 10102 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Re: Your funeral playlist
« Reply #25 on: 21 September, 2010, 05:01:50 am »
Wham' Wake Me Up Before You Go Go'

AndyH

« Reply #26 on: 21 September, 2010, 05:57:14 am »
Lots of good stuff upthread.

I'm surprised "The Great Gig in the Sky" by Pink Floyd is not on anyone's list. Its the only one on mine. Apart from that I don't really care what gets played.

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
Don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."
"I never said I was frightened of dying."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #27 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:18:33 am »
Yeah! I'll have that one as well but the music's gone over an hour, now . . .

BTW The late, great Tommy Vance once declared of Whole Lotta Rosie:

'One of the greatest rock tracks ever, ever recorded! I'm gonna have that played at my funeral!'

Does anyone know if that came true?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:33:57 am »
When my late uncle passed away they only played 2 songs at his service, the first one I can't remember, but the second one only had to hit the opening bars and it had me in tears.  It's not an overly sad song, but is a song that always did, and always will, remind me of him, of summer holidays with him and my aunty.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0aT0GXW8jw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/t0aT0GXW8jw&rel=1</a>

So I would like something similar for mine, of which I would suggest the following:

Start Wearing Purple - Gogol Bordello
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
JC - Powderfinger

For the wake:

Hard to Feel - Terrorvision
Stay Forever -Ween (one there for Mrs T)
Veronika - Billy Talent

For the bit when you are all pissed (as per OP):

Only The Good Die Young - billy Joel (and I hope you appreciate the irony)
I Was Born In a Small Town - Bruce Springsteen
Small Town - JCM
The Big Daddy Of Them All - JCM
Jackie Brown - JCM
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:36:25 am »
Funeral?  Bollocks to that - anything that can't be used for transplants (and I fear, with my medical history, that there may not be anything that I can pass on :( ) shove on the compost heap or summat.  Once I'm dead, I'm not really bothered what happens to my body, but don't let a preacher anywhere near it. ;D

Have a party, by all means.  But the songs have to be fun.  How's about

Ain't Got No...I Got Life by Nina Simone to kick things off?

Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:44:25 am »
Led Zep's Kashmir.  As they roll the wicker box into the furnace (although I'd rather have a decent bonfire).

After that, I don't much care as long as the party afterwards is thoroughly debauched  :demon:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:01:13 am »

A relative of anyone known to some here?
Leslie Sarony (born Leslie Legge Frye 22 February 1897 - 12 February 1985) was a British entertainer, singer and songwriter. Sarony was born in Surbiton, Surrey and died in London.

Yeah, my Dad!! Leslie Legge
[/quote]
You serious? I knew there was a Legge around here somewhere, I was actually thinking it was Simon-with-the-knee-bandage (who isn't, of course, on this forum, but kind of connected) but I guess I was mistaken.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #32 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:21:25 am »
'Any time will do?' or 'Not ready yet?' - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/362egby9cu0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/362egby9cu0&rel=1</a>
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #33 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:30:41 am »
Either utter silence, and let them shuffle awkwardly and look embarrassed; or live music - any kind, but preferably improvised and loud.

Edit: not that I really care.

« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:34:00 am »
Thinking about it, a ukulele band playing 'Whole Lotta Love' could help detract from the surreality of funerals

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #35 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:44:17 am »
Come To Daddy by Aphex Twin would be very very tempting indeed.  :demon: ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tWDAtMPoBHA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tWDAtMPoBHA&rel=1</a>

But probably, Alberto Balsalm (also by Aphex) and Ascent by Brian Eno.
a great mind thinks alike

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:46:45 am »

'One of the greatest rock tracks ever, ever recorded! I'm gonna have that played at my funeral!'

Google suggests it probably did:

Tommy's Funeral
Jon Myer attended Tommy's Funeral at Golders Green crematorium, Tuesday March 15th

The crematorium was packed – I had to stand and some people couldn't get in at all and had to stay outside. The music played included George Martin's Radio One music, Theme One, Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) and Neil Young (Like A Hurricane).

There was absolutely no religion at all. Richard Skinner (a colleague from Radio One and Virgin), Tony Wilson (Tommy's Radio One rock show producer), Humphrey Walwyn (a World Service colleague) and Softly (his mate) all made very personal and moving speeches. Diane Weston, actress and former partner, read John Masefield's poem "Sea Fever" as well as making a few more comments. The end of a Tommy Rock Show was then played and we trooped out to the strains of his closing announcement and AC/DC! Then off to the pub.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:24:57 pm »
Thinking about it, a ukulele band playing 'Whole Lotta Love' could help detract from the surreality of funerals
Could be appropriate for weddings too!  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #38 on: 21 September, 2010, 12:27:08 pm »

Google suggests it probably did:

Tommy's Funeral
Jon Myer attended Tommy's Funeral at Golders Green crematorium, Tuesday March 15th

The crematorium was packed – I had to stand and some people couldn't get in at all and had to stay outside. The music played included George Martin's Radio One music, Theme One, Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) and Neil Young (Like A Hurricane).

There was absolutely no religion at all. Richard Skinner (a colleague from Radio One and Virgin), Tony Wilson (Tommy's Radio One rock show producer), Humphrey Walwyn (a World Service colleague) and Softly (his mate) all made very personal and moving speeches. Diane Weston, actress and former partner, read John Masefield's poem "Sea Fever" as well as making a few more comments. The end of a Tommy Rock Show was then played and we trooped out to the strains of his closing announcement and AC/DC! Then off to the pub.

Fantastic! Style friend, style!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #39 on: 21 September, 2010, 02:59:38 pm »
Funeral?  Bollocks to that - anything that can't be used for transplants (and I fear, with my medical history, that there may not be anything that I can pass on :( ) shove on the compost heap or summat.  Once I'm dead, I'm not really bothered what happens to my body, but don't let a preacher anywhere near it. ;D

We've got plans for you - your organs may not be up to much, but I've had a chat with Brooks, and they've agreed that as a special one off they'll make a couple of saddles out of your hide. We thought you might appreciate it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, could you try not to get too wrinkly between now and then.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:06:35 pm »
Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse saddle
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »
It puts the Proofide on its skin, or else it gets the spanner again...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #42 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »
My uncle Ron had a humanist funeral, we walked in to this
    YouTube
        - the beatles/ in my life

and we walked out to Yellow Submarine, it's what his family used to sing in the car on days out.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:12:06 pm »
Funeral?  Bollocks to that - anything that can't be used for transplants (and I fear, with my medical history, that there may not be anything that I can pass on :( ) shove on the compost heap or summat.  Once I'm dead, I'm not really bothered what happens to my body, but don't let a preacher anywhere near it. ;D

We've got plans for you - your organs may not be up to much, but I've had a chat with Brooks, and they've agreed that as a special one off they'll make a couple of saddles out of your hide. We thought you might appreciate it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh, could you try not to get too wrinkly between now and then.

A marvellous idea.  I've had to develop a thick skin for POBI, so it should be just right.
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #44 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:21:09 pm »
Come To Daddy by Aphex Twin would be very very tempting indeed.  :demon: ;D

LOL - followed by Milkman no doubt :)

Hmm... tempting.

Aside: Never pass out (pissed) listening to an iPod, and wake up with a start three hours later when Come to Daddy comes on  :o

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #45 on: 21 September, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »
I think I would like these two :
Tom Waits and MontyPython

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #46 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:32:18 pm »
I'm unashamedly sentimental, so:

At some piint in the (secular) service - Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy (yes, I know the Judy version is more street cred but I love the way Eva hits that high note on "dreams" in the last verse)

As they send me off to the oven - Lay Me Low by The Albion Band (lay me low, where no one can see me, where no one can find me, where no one can hurt me)

And as both mourners depart - J'y Suis Jamais Alle by Yann Tiersen, which has great personal significance.

Then a big party...
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #47 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:58:59 pm »
Led Zep's Kashmir.  As they roll the wicker box into the furnace (although I'd rather have a decent bonfire).

I'd have thought you'd have had an enormous home-made stainless steel gasification wood burner. :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 21 September, 2010, 05:00:53 pm »
Led Zep's Kashmir.  As they roll the wicker box into the furnace (although I'd rather have a decent bonfire).

I'd have thought you'd have had an enormous home-made stainless steel gasification wood burner. :-*

You mean you don't want this Viking funeral ship we've been building? :-/
Getting there...

Zoidburg

« Reply #49 on: 21 September, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »
The theme from ROTJ.

Funeral pyre for me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bIaYfLkpCdg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bIaYfLkpCdg&rel=1</a>