Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3006056 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The power glitched.  Some stuff rebooted.  Something else made a noise like a lemming.  And every burglar alarm in Silly Oak went off at once.

Shortly afterwards, three BloodyStudents emerged from the house across the road (of 'can I borrow your iron?' fame), bleary-eyed and in just their pants, to wonder what was going on.  They'll learn...   ;D

The power glitched.  Some stuff rebooted.  Something else made a noise like a lemming.  And every burglar alarm in Silly Oak went off at once.

Shortly afterwards, three BloodyStudents emerged from the house across the road (of 'can I borrow your iron?' fame), bleary-eyed and in just their pants, to wonder what was going on.  They'll learn...   ;D
This is too obtuse for me to fathom it out.
You're going to have to elaborate in detail.

A couple of weekends ago the DNO (distribution network operator) did a switch change over on a Sunday. The power glitched and 20 water treatment and pumping sites shutdown in an area from Maidenhead to Petersfield. I don't know about the other companies supplied by the same power network. The oncall operators and the volunteers who came in to help out minted it in overtime as they went to each of the sites to reset and restart them. Some pumping stations are a 30s visit to press the reset, but the WTW need 1-2 hours of monitoring to ensure the water is properly safe to go into supply.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

This is too obtuse for me to fathom it out.
You're going to have to elaborate in detail.

Silly Oak is full of empty houses with un-monitored alarm systems.  We all know what burglar alarms do when the power fails.  Apart, it seems, from the students who recently moved into the house across the road, who were obviously sleeping off a hard night of revelling when someone at Western Power Distribution working on the HV network supplying Birmingham experienced a Learning Opportunity.  First thing in the afternoon!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
For the sheer lolz both myself and Mrs T occasionally look at the local Facebook marketplace.

The latest item of note obviously has a story behind it....

An alarm clock with built-in camera. Description said "I never got to use it". There is a story in there, just wish I knew what it was!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Disappointing lack of video to accompany this splodey story.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/moment-ww2-bomb-detonated-beach-4360057
Bomb disposal squad?  I call fake news.

That's just the latest way of disposing of dog turds left in the sand.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Sublime TV moment of the day on BBC1's Pointless. Question was people who changed their job in 2017.
 First female commander of the Met police, initials CD.
Contestant: Caressa Dick

nicknack

• Hornblower
Sublime TV moment of the day on BBC1's Pointless. Question was people who changed their job in 2017.
;D
Cruella Deville?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
;D
Cruella Deville?

Or Cruella DeVos?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

That's... That's not where Newhaven is...

I think.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Disappointing lack of video to accompany this splodey story.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/moment-ww2-bomb-detonated-beach-4360057
Bomb disposal squad?  I call fake news.
That's just the latest way of disposing of dog turds left in the sand.
This one has background to the story, video, and a surprising turn at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7kENH-A7s
something a bit larger than dog droppings, too.

BBC news but all the pictures are of cats.

https://bbcmews.co.uk/news
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

...and various other changes  ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

I'm trying to work out what words have been autocorrected to cat-related words.

"Having sex safely in the summer of Dr Fluffingtons" is a winner
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I'm trying to work out what words have been autocorrected to cat-related words.

"Having sex safely in the summer of Dr Fluffingtons" is a winner

I was sad enough to be comparing it with the 'real' bbc website to try to work out what was going on and was thrown by the headline 'Smuggling cats & swinging on crossbars - the story of cult hero Dijkstra'.  Apparently Sieb Dijkstra has previous for cat smuggling  ::-)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

We have a thread about shite couriers but not about shite addresses. I've just got a parcel through the post (from Tredz) on which the line "UK Mainland" was added both before and after the post code. There's nothing so superfluous it's not worth doing twice.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
See also “Idiot webby form designers who insist on a county”.  Many parcels labelled “London London”.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
See also “Idiot webby form designers who insist on a county”.  Many parcels labelled “London London”.

See also North American based forms (sometimes used in other countries) which require a State/Province.  I've had a number of things delivered to me in "London, England, UK".
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

Get that living in Bristol too. Sometimes it's "Bristol, Bristol", at other times it's Somerset or Gloucestershire and a few still use "County of Avon" despite that not having existed since 1996. It seems highly unlikely any of these webby forms were actually designed that long ago.

Beardy

• Shedist
Note to self: try and remember to buy a fan or a portable A/C when the U.K. is not melting under the annual heatwave.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Note to self: try and remember to buy a fan or a portable A/C when the U.K. is not melting under the annual heatwave.

Didn't I remind everyone to do that about 3 weeks into the lockdown, as the bogroll shortage was taking hold?

Beardy

• Shedist

Didn't I remind everyone to do that about 3 weeks into the lockdown, as the bogroll shortage was taking hold?
Possibly. But who was listening to sage advice back then?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

This has reminded me that we have a perfectly good dehumidifier which hasn't been emptied for a while. It is now in the kitchen doing a bit of stitchin what it was designed for.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.