Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 256232 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #1050 on: 08 January, 2024, 07:06:11 pm »
This is all excellent news!

Looking forward to "the steepest climb in the region" also known as Pointless Bignor whenever it appears on a road ride (although plenty of off-road options from the top).

Kent Invicta Grimpeur is also back on 17th March.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1051 on: 10 January, 2024, 03:15:04 pm »
I have descended the road side of Bignor twice, having taken off-road versions from the south (Madehurst) on my race bike and southwest (Stane Street) on my Audax bike.  The turf gave me a smoother ride than the tarmac.  But for risk management reasons I will be manning a checkpoint at the top to point out the bleeding obvious - take huge care on the descent, especially if it is wet.  I did one of Andy Corless's rides a couple of weeks after riding up to Bignor, and that steep section would not be out of place in the Lake District.  But rides should be audacious.  And on 16th November there should be (in these globally warmed days) a reasonable amount of autumn colour remaining.

There's also the hidden treasure of Whitmoor Vale, the tour of Black Down with the window onto the world, the back side of Petworth Park and its great wall and the abandon-all-hope-ye-who-enter-here section between Stoner Hill and Newton Valence to explore as well.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #1052 on: 10 January, 2024, 07:37:27 pm »
All sounds great - Black Down is another of my faves (and every bit as badly surfaced as Bignor). Looking forward to this very much!