Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254107 times)

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #875 on: 19 August, 2018, 05:59:21 am »
I'll be admiring your easy going pace from behind.
Rule 77

Martin

« Reply #876 on: 20 August, 2018, 10:26:05 am »
I'm excited about this. Fits perfectly my ride to every ride next season goal and has massive ECE potential for 3 points AND bonus AAA.

I've got a perm card in my drawer from last season that I never got round to riding before this season ( my stupid 100 BR(M) only AAA mission ), but I've ridden it a couple of times with Green St Green and Edenbridge.

Just gotta be on a sunday......

Sorry it will be a Saturday, Southern usually gives up on a train service on many Sundays and I won't know until a few weeks before.

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #877 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:18:44 am »
I'm excited about this. Fits perfectly my ride to every ride next season goal and has massive ECE potential for 3 points AND bonus AAA.

I've got a perm card in my drawer from last season that I never got round to riding before this season ( my stupid 100 BR(M) only AAA mission ), but I've ridden it a couple of times with Green St Green and Edenbridge.

Just gotta be on a sunday......

Sorry it will be a Saturday, Southern usually gives up on a train service on many Sundays and I won't know until a few weeks before.

Not a deal breaker. If I take a week's holiday over Easter, I'll have conjured up a spare holiday day. Magic.
Rule 77

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #878 on: 20 August, 2018, 11:57:06 am »
I managed to make a f*** up and steered the wrong way, taking the wrong loop too early, so got a DNF.

Still a great day out though, cracking route and volunteer service. And it's on Strava so it did happen 8)

Got my medal and jelly beans too!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #879 on: 20 August, 2018, 01:28:27 pm »
Yes a great day out in the Surrey Hills.The ride was a 'Shere delight' Thanks due to all the volunteers.
I teamed up with Keith from Yorkshire at the start, once we ascertained we were both seeking a ride at 'Gentleman's pace.'
It was chilly in the morning but warmed up considerably in the afternoon.
We managed all the hills without having to walk, and kept just ahead of the audax clock, and enjoyed the selection of food and drinks available at Shere village hall.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Martin

« Reply #880 on: 19 September, 2018, 11:25:04 am »
The very first GdS perm Down to Downs makes its second calendar appearance (or rather the right way round having reversed in 2016) next year

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-116/

slightly different route avoiding Edenbridge on the way up

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #881 on: 23 September, 2018, 04:29:42 pm »
Am elsewhere on a 600 that weekend, but can thoroughly recommend this route, I know it well and it's a cracker.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #882 on: 30 September, 2018, 04:29:12 pm »
Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier entries coming in nicely; the Hilly seems to be picking up more entries from the old guard, there is just the one route now which is the 2004 one; it really is all over after just before the hot dog stop but you will envy those with a commanding view from Ditchling Beacon

« Reply #883 on: 04 October, 2018, 02:18:41 pm »
Excellent reminder that I need to get my hillier entry in.

Doing the AAA Milne as a perm this weekend try shake the autumn off my legs...

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

« Reply #884 on: 04 October, 2018, 05:59:45 pm »
Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier entries coming in nicely; the Hilly seems to be picking up more entries from the old guard, there is just the one route now which is the 2004 one; it really is all over after just before the hot dog stop but you will envy those with a commanding view from Ditchling Beacon

Checking the weather before I enter! Hillier for me! Cob Lane too!

hillbilly

« Reply #885 on: 04 October, 2018, 06:14:34 pm »
Despite concerns about the trains (LamesThink) I've signed up for the Hilly.  I'll be lined up for my hot dog provided Southern don't pull their trains to Uckfield.

My finger lingered on the Hillier.  But up and down Ditchling is a walk I can do without.

Martin

« Reply #886 on: 14 October, 2018, 07:12:22 pm »
Dear riders; a quick update on the Mid Sussex route sheets / gps following a route check yesterday

Both routes

105.4 Hilly / 103.3 Hillier

R no $ Honeypot Lane now has a sign $ CHAILEY

Hilly only​, a couple of gpx errors.

The first, not very important, is where the route crosses London Road at Ringles Cross north
of Uckfield. At this point the gps takes an unnecessary back road diversion.
The other is more significant. Coming down to Ardingly Reservoir from Street Lane, the gps wants to take us along the edge of the water instead of following the road

Please stick to the roads at both these locations!

Hillier only

59.8 1st R no $ Rocks Lane

This now has no signpost at all; it is quite hard to spot and doesn't even look like a road! but it is more or less opposite the turning into the road on the left. If you get to the railway station you have gone too far!

77.8 1st should say 1st R Hurstpierpoint

92.6 Ditchling Beacon info control

The answer I was looking for is very hard to see since the new ticket machines, any piece of information from the board by the machine will suffice

Other than that everything is in place for a great ride including the autumn colours!, look forward to seeing you on the day.

I took the chance to pause to watch a mother fallow deer and her little one half way up Cob Lane (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

« Reply #887 on: 14 October, 2018, 07:58:54 pm »

I took the chance to pause to watch a mother fallow deer and her little one half way up Cob Lane (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

That's a good reminder to loosen my cleats, don't want to be stuck when I come to a halt!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Martin

« Reply #888 on: 21 October, 2018, 08:26:41 pm »

Checking the weather before I enter! Hillier for me! Cob Lane too!

Thanks everyone for bringing the weather; a good turnout in glorious conditions with a good ECE turnout to beat Network Rail at their game!

and a very special thanks to Ann Manotea and Huff n Puff at the controls., without whom...

Next up Plodder's excellent Bois thingy thingy 10 November

Phil W

« Reply #889 on: 21 October, 2018, 08:44:32 pm »
Was on a new Thameslink through train on Thu.  They now have proper bike space in carriage 3 near front and at back end of train.  Certainly makes Sussex events a more realistic prospect now if starts are near train stations.

hillbilly

« Reply #890 on: 22 October, 2018, 09:39:00 am »
Well, when the London-Brighton-Lewes lines are open.  Which is "not very often" for every weekend between now and Easter.  If and when that is sorted it will be great (particularly with East Croydon, Redhill and Three Bridges on the lines and being the main interchanges).

Likewise if the Thameslink timetable gets its act together and recommences the planned more frequent services from the London/Brighton corridor to Cambridge (admittedly this is the wrong thread to be mentioning rides in Cambridgeshire, but its not often one gets to make a vaguely relevant public service announcement here)

Martin

« Reply #891 on: 02 January, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
Updated with MJ's early events; currently you could complete the series by May but waiting for a couple of other spring regulars

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #892 on: 07 January, 2019, 07:24:53 pm »
Re: upcoming Hailsham events, ie Hills and Mills; Mad Jack's

Is anyone driving down from London?  It's all bus service from East Croydon on the dates.  I live in Sutton.  Would be amazing if someone could give me a lift.  Thinking alternatively of renting a car....

Martin

« Reply #893 on: 08 January, 2019, 12:44:18 pm »
There are trains to Uckfield both days then a 19km ride

markldn

« Reply #894 on: 10 January, 2019, 02:57:38 pm »

Amazing, thank you.  So hard to know what alternatives there might be without randomly guessing stations.

Martin

« Reply #895 on: 11 January, 2019, 11:45:45 am »

Amazing, thank you.  So hard to know what alternatives there might be without randomly guessing stations.

I had the same problem with my event in October the main line was shut so I suggested Uckfield as an alternative to Haywards Heath;

FWIW I don't think it's possible to get to Hailsham via Lewes when the trains are running in time for the usual start; having tried before

Have you checked Travelodge? they are offering 40% off Friday nights at the moment and there's one about a mile from the start

« Reply #896 on: 11 January, 2019, 02:48:44 pm »
Victoria to Polegate (3 or 4 miles from Hailsham)?

No sign of rail replacement buses on the 26th?

Martin

« Reply #897 on: 11 January, 2019, 03:45:46 pm »

He's right, change at East Croydon and Haywards Heath. Polegate is a nice ride on the Cuckoo Trail all tarmac, half hour max

You can also just about get there for Mad Jacks but you will have to go via Littlehampton and Brighton

« Reply #898 on: 11 January, 2019, 05:23:41 pm »
The other option, of course, is to ECE from somewhere closer to London, if that is the direction you are travelling down from.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

markldn

« Reply #899 on: 12 January, 2019, 05:18:55 pm »

He's right, change at East Croydon and Haywards Heath. Polegate is a nice ride on the Cuckoo Trail all tarmac, half hour max

You can also just about get there for Mad Jacks but you will have to go via Littlehampton and Brighton

That wasn't possible when I checked. They had rail replacement buses starting at Gatwick to Brighton.

Then again, see below from gatwick's website:

Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 January - no direct trains to London all weekend

No direct trains to London all weekend
Services will operate between Gatwick and London on a diverted route via Horsham and will take considerably longer than normal
All southbound trains will terminate at Redhill. Replacement buses will operate between Redhill and Gatwick
All northbound trains will terminate at Gatwick Airport or Three Bridges