Author Topic: Neck pain  (Read 2092 times)

annie

Neck pain
« on: 14 January, 2009, 06:55:01 pm »
I have really quite severe neck pain.  Not sure how I did it but it started on Sunday and has become much worse.  I got someone to apply some stinky pain relief stuff today and that was sheer torture.  In fact I was left with pain shooting down my right arm and into my hand, it also made me feel very sick and very dizzy.  If I keep my head still it doesn't hurt too much at all.

Yes I have used ice, it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Any tips apart from the obvious one of chopping off my head?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Neck pain
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:04:43 pm »
Ibuprofen if you can tolerate it.
Consider short-term use of a supportive collar.
I recommend warm packs, though not all will agree.
GWS!

annie

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:14:34 pm »
Ibuprofen if you can tolerate it.
Consider short-term use of a supportive collar.
I recommend warm packs, though not all will agree.
GWS!

Sadly I am allergic to Ibuprofen and in fact most painkillers.  I can tolerate Paracetamol but they are useless for this type of pain.  I do carry Oramorph but again think that will be useless and don't really want to take any at the mo, just for emergencies, although anything that would enable me to lie down and sleep would be useful.  I also had some very nasty patches that I was given after major surgery, I gave them back as they were lethal, can't remember the name, Fentanyl?

I have been alternating hot and cold packs and will continue.

Thanks Hellymedic. :-*

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:21:36 pm »
Probably were fentanyl: very strong and potentially lethal.
Paracetamol never helped any kind of pain for me either; it was only of us for things for which I'd not bother with tablets...
Make sure your pillows support your head well.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:40:58 pm »
That sounds horrible annie. Is it the same pain you had when we did the On and Offshore?  Keith still hasn't recovered from seeing me apply soothing ungents to your shoulder.

Hope it improves very soon.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2009, 07:48:12 pm »
If you can get it prescribed, Pregabelin (Gabapentin) works for me.  It treats neuropathic pain.  I've been taking it for a few years for severe back and neck pain and it does really help.  In absolute extremis, dihydrocodeine works  for me(by causing unconsciousness  ;)).

Take care,

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

annie

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2009, 08:00:22 pm »
Probably were fentanyl: very strong and potentially lethal.
Paracetamol never helped any kind of pain for me either; it was only of us for things for which I'd not bother with tablets...
Make sure your pillows support your head well.

I now have 6 pillows so hope that will give some relief.

Diapason - I am allergic to Dihydrocodeine and wouldn't be able to funciton on Gabapentin.  I took Carbamazapine for a short period of time for Trigeminal Neuralgia and I spent half of my day asleep.

I have a high pain threshold so will survive this and will do the hot packs throughout the night.

Tim - I got someone to apply stuff to my shoulder and neck today.  It isn't the side I had surgery.

If it hasn't improved by next week I shall see the physio.

diapsaon0

« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2009, 08:05:53 pm »
Perhaps massage would help - it does me (but not the over-enthusiastic 'manipulation' my osteopath likes to use  :-\ ).  A hot bath and a large brandy is hereby prescribed - virtual large bottle of brandy en route!

Take care - hope you feel better tomorrow.

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

annie

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2009, 08:13:08 pm »
Perhaps massage would help - it does me (but not the over-enthusiastic 'manipulation' my osteopath likes to use  :-\ ).  A hot bath and a large brandy is hereby prescribed - virtual large bottle of brandy en route!

Take care - hope you feel better tomorrow.

N

Thank you. :-*  If you don't mind I will just have a cup of Chai.  Annie and alcohol ???

diapsaon0

« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:48:51 am »
Hope you feel better this morning,  Annie.  Anyway, you have some new toys to play with today  :thumbsup:    (That'll have some people guessing)

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

annie

« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:05:10 am »
Hope you feel better this morning,  Annie.  Anyway, you have some new toys to play with today  :thumbsup:    (That'll have some people guessing)

N

Am dosed up with pain killers, thank you.  The toys will be opened later this afternoon, how exciting. :-*

diapsaon0

« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2009, 11:58:56 am »
Hope you feel better later - enjoy the toys!  :thumbsup:

N
Advena ego sum in Terra