Author Topic: Aching thighs  (Read 4284 times)

annie

Aching thighs
« on: 14 February, 2009, 11:20:33 pm »
They are both aching, very badly.

Today I rode 49 miles.  I didn't find it too hard at all but bear in mind I have been off the bike for about a month due to the flittery jittery bugs.  I started back running, gym and on the turbo a week ago.

Now both of my thighs hurt like buggery.

I can't take anti-inflammatories. 

Do I rest for a couple of days and see what happens or do some light exercise or some spinning on the bike tomorrow?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Aching thighs
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:31:14 pm »
Massage, that's what you need  :D leaving now.

annie

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:32:39 pm »

Excellent.  Will I have to lean over the table like last time?

« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:33:55 pm »
oi - stoppit!!

back o/t:
i always feel better for a light spin the following day, just an hour or so.  The first 20 - 30 minutes will be horrid ;D

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:35:02 pm »

Excellent.  Will I have to lean over the table like last time?
Backwards this time if it's the front of them that aches.

annie

« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2009, 11:36:40 pm »
Tis the front.

Good thinking Mike, I will go out for a gentle spin and try not to hit any hills too early on.  They have never, every hurt like this before.  I think they got very cold on the ride and am sure this made a difference.

« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2009, 07:52:09 am »
Oooh err!

It's usually not a problem to train with DOMS.  Some people even delight in the sensation and use it as an indicator of a good workout, but that's not the case for me.  A light spin seems sensible to me.  Bear in mind there's the warning of overtraining which for me is often associated with DOMS.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

annie

« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2009, 08:13:33 am »
Good point Mikey.  My thighs are quite good this morning, not too tight nor aching.  A gentle spin later will soon iron out the creases, that is if I can beat the rain.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2009, 08:57:29 am »
three things

1) Recovery ride, as others have mentioned

2) Vitamin E.  Take 1 x 400iu with a 500mg vitamin C once a day.  After a couple of days up the dose to 2x 400iu vitamin E+ 500mg vitamin C.  There is some research to back this up (google it) and more importantly it works for me :)

3) After exercising, do stretches

annie

« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2009, 09:01:30 am »
three things

1) Recovery ride, as others have mentioned

2) Vitamin E.  Take 1 x 400iu with a 500mg vitamin C once a day.  After a couple of days up the dose to 2x 400iu vitamin E+ 500mg vitamin C.  There is some research to back this up (google it) and more importantly it works for me :)

3) After exercising, do stretches

Thank you Vorsprung.  I will try this out and let you know the outcome.

On a good note, I always stretch.

Off to purchase some Vitamin E.

inc

« Reply #10 on: 15 February, 2009, 10:52:43 am »
Is it all your thighs,  hamstrings and  quads. If all then probably just a nice case of overuse, too much too soon, I have found taking whey protein liquidised with a banana and skimmed milk good for recovery. If the soreness is predominantly  in the front then there may be a bit of imbalance with your thighs sharing the load and  your saddle may be a touch too high making the quads do more work than the hamstrings and glutes.

annie

« Reply #11 on: 15 February, 2009, 02:55:08 pm »
Is it all your thighs,  hamstrings and  quads. If all then probably just a nice case of overuse, too much too soon, I have found taking whey protein liquidised with a banana and skimmed milk good for recovery. If the soreness is predominantly  in the front then there may be a bit of imbalance with your thighs sharing the load and  your saddle may be a touch too high making the quads do more work than the hamstrings and glutes.

Good point inc.  It is all my quads.  My hamstrings are absolutely fine.  I think it is just too much too soon after my illness. 

I do not seem to learn though.  Found as many hills as possible to take me out and came back as fast as possible.  My thighs ache but not more than yesterday.  I am my own worst enemy.

Time to shower and rest.  Tomorrow will involve only many hours of driving.

simonp

« Reply #12 on: 15 February, 2009, 04:35:06 pm »
Going from zero to 49 miles in a week.

spot the mistake.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2009, 04:42:55 pm »
oi - stoppit!!

back o/t:
i always feel better for a light spin the following day, just an hour or so.  The first 20 - 30 minutes will be horrid ;D

+1. Or get on the turbo/rollers with very low resistance, spin till you are well warmed up and then keep going for another ten to fifteen minutes.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

annie

« Reply #14 on: 15 February, 2009, 04:47:11 pm »
Going from zero to 49 miles in a week.

spot the mistake.

Well I did do two turbo sessions in between.  Yes 80 miles this weekend.  Point taken, head hung in shame.

« Reply #15 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:24:51 pm »
Two points, in case they aren't already known on here.  Stretching and lactate have exactly this to do with DOMS:   NOTHING.

p.s. Annie, you and I are about as bad as each other.  I'm supposed to be taking it easy to be nice to my tendonitis, and I haven't quite today.

annie

« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2009, 06:49:15 pm »
Two points, in case they aren't already known on here.  Stretching and lactate have exactly this to do with DOMS:   NOTHING.

p.s. Annie, you and I are about as bad as each other.  I'm supposed to be taking it easy to be nice to my tendonitis, and I haven't quite today.

Then we both ought to sit on the 'naughty seat' together.

I don't think I have DOMS as the pain was there as I was riding yesterday.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #17 on: 16 February, 2009, 08:49:37 am »
I love the sensation of aching thighs up until the point where you have to do something with them - like walking down the stairs. H

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 16 February, 2009, 09:09:20 am »
After doing 135km (hilly) on a bike I haven't ridden much for a long time, the area around my hips/arse is aching like crazy.  So much so I just can't get comfy today.

I'm hoping it's just dormant muscle groups being exercised due to slight differences in bike setup.

Does that sound likely?

inc

« Reply #19 on: 16 February, 2009, 01:37:19 pm »

I'm hoping it's just dormant muscle groups being exercised due to slight differences in bike setup.

Does that sound likely?

The bike setup probably is a factor but your glutes ,hamstrings and hip flexors are not dormant  muscle groups but the main ones along with the quads used in cycling. What have you done with your setup, moved the saddle down or back maybe.

« Reply #20 on: 16 February, 2009, 01:40:40 pm »
I have never ached as much through riding a bike as when I returned to playing squash a few years ago  :(

« Reply #21 on: 16 February, 2009, 01:43:33 pm »
Ah squash.  High intensity, plus eccentric muscular contractions.  Really really good at causing DOMS!!!  Bit like plyometrics for speedskating.