Author Topic: AUK website  (Read 6084 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: AUK website
« Reply #25 on: 09 May, 2019, 08:48:14 pm »
Just ask the hamster to run faster :demon:

The problem is FontLibrary's hamster rather than the Auk Hamster and as such the AUK Hamster is powerless.

Phil W

« Reply #26 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:16:01 pm »
Fontlibrary is shit, I reckon their hamsters are pissed up in some bar somewhere.

« Reply #27 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:38:43 pm »
Surely this would be better asked on the AUK forum? Remember, this is not an official AUK forum, and may not be viewed by the person who might be able to consider your request (which seems a sensible request to me if it is causing accessibility issues).

If I was trying to get it fixed I'd email the relevant people directly (which I've done). This post was mostly general kvetching.

(the AUK forum meanwhile is for yelling into the abyss)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:56:49 pm »
Just ask the hamster to run faster :demon:

The problem is FontLibrary's hamster rather than the Auk Hamster and as such the AUK Hamster is powerless.

Why are they relying on FontLibrary's hamster in the first place?  If you're going to use a weird font, surely the first thing you do is make a copy for your own hamster to, erm, nibble...

« Reply #29 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:08:46 pm »
As long as it is not Cosmic Sans

« Reply #30 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:15:12 pm »
Why are they relying on FontLibrary's hamster in the first place?  If you're going to use a weird font, surely the first thing you do is make a copy for your own hamster to, erm, nibble...

The proper commercial font libraries only give you a license and force you to use some sort of clunky Javascript that requires showing their hamsters your magic numbers every time your page loads and maybe they'll think about letting you see their beautiful fonts. Rehosting the fonts is verboten.

However, having investigated a bit further, fontlibrary.org isn't one of those - it's just a library you're meant to download from. And the AUK custom fonts *are* being rehosted on the AUK domain. The bit they're hot linking is this tiny bit of CSS:

https://fontlibrary.org/face/osp-din

Which defines a font called DIN. Which isn't even used as far as I can tell...

You know what they say, pay six figures, get monkeys.

(at least it's no longer taking 90 seconds to load)

« Reply #31 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:23:51 pm »
IIRC DIN font is used in the logo

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #32 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:42:18 pm »

Due to one of my mates having a liking for German cars, and typefaces, and always pointing out the DIN fonts on bits AND being able to identify every one specifically...
I believe it is, I could ask him to confirm but...

« Reply #33 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:43:56 pm »

It may well be, but the logos on the page are PNGs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 10 May, 2019, 12:40:57 am »

The proper commercial font libraries only give you a license and force you to use some sort of clunky Javascript that requires showing their hamsters your magic numbers every time your page loads and maybe they'll think about letting you see their beautiful fonts. Rehosting the fonts is verboten.

However, having investigated a bit further, fontlibrary.org isn't one of those - it's just a library you're meant to download from. And the AUK custom fonts *are* being rehosted on the AUK domain. The bit they're hot linking is this tiny bit of CSS:

https://fontlibrary.org/face/osp-din

Blimey.  You could spell that out in hexadecimal using a camera from 1996 with a round-trip delay of 24 minutes.  Which may be what they're doing...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #35 on: 10 May, 2019, 08:27:28 pm »
We are not some commercial organisation that is trying to project a finely honed corporate identity FFS just use free fonts. The company I work for develops its own fonts and guards the copyright with big guns. We are not in business.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

rob

« Reply #36 on: 10 May, 2019, 08:51:26 pm »
Where’s the list of Ultra Randonneurs gone ?  It used to be with the hall of fame but not on the new site.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #37 on: 10 May, 2019, 09:04:14 pm »
We are not some commercial organisation that is trying to project a finely honed corporate identity FFS just use free fonts. The company I work for develops its own fonts and guards the copyright with big guns. We are not in business.

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Font Library appears to be free fonts...
The cock up seems to be it linking to something it didn't need to so when FontLibary went down so did AUK