Author Topic: Planning a Northern Coastal Tour - any advice appreciated!  (Read 2244 times)

Planning a Northern Coastal Tour - any advice appreciated!
« on: 06 July, 2020, 11:27:18 pm »
I was due to ride the "Highland Fling" in May and am now planning to ride a much modified version of the route in a couple of weeks time, taking in as much of the coastal cycle routes as is feasible over a 4 day ride.  I'm aiming to be as self sufficient as I can picking up provisions along the way and bivvying at night.  I'll be riding a fully rigid mtb with touring tyres and plenty of gears, carrying a minimum amount of luggage.  I'd welcome any critique on my intended route:  https://cycle.travel/map/journey/160874  Thanks :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

Re: Planning a Northern Coastal Tour - any advice appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2020, 12:18:16 am »
Weren't we all.

Just a couple of odd doglegs in the route - I'd go through Alston rather than through Garrigill. It's a gorgeous village, but the pub was shut last time I passed (in normal times, the village hall is left open so you cantop up your bottles in the bogs, but who knows at the moment), and Alston has loads of shops and cafes (I assume it sends you that way cos it's the C2C route). And you can just ride along Staindrop Road out of Darlo, it's added a daft dogleg to avoid Ingleton.

Mind the tramlines around Haymarket, and the pub in Blackness is an experience.

Do drop me a line if you need owt in Darlo :)

« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2020, 12:25:53 am »
Actually, the cafe at Hartside has reopened if that was your plan in skipping Alston, but it has restricted opening hours (it was closed at 9.30 in the morning whe I passed a couple of weeks ago). And I never recommend stopping there unless you're on your knees, else you can freeze on the descent.

« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2020, 08:41:07 am »
Hartside top only has a burger van. 
No shelter and no toilets. 
Well it had the burger van till last w/e when the van was vandalised.
Just don't depend on it.
No approved plans for the grandiose new build yet.

Alston public toilets have re-opened.
Co-op, market veg stall some mornings, plenty of take-aways and cafes open.

« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2020, 03:20:40 pm »
Be warned that crossing the railway lines at Brunstane (in Edinburgh) involves carrying your bicycle up and down flights of steps. No I am not joking. There is supposed to be a way round somewhere. I just don't go that way.

« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:26:17 pm »
Many thanks for all your helpful suggestions :thumbsup:  However, I've been informed today that my accommodation, originally booked for the Highland Fling and then rebooked for mid July has been cancelled as the Harrowgate Hill Lodge isn't open again for business until 3 August.  So, I I'm now going to wait until the Highland Fling is reinstated before I head North and enjoy the ride as originally planned. 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2020, 10:51:35 pm »
Have a blast Sir, that looks like an incredible tour - your friend Alex G in Brighton

« Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2020, 11:36:19 pm »
Have a blast Sir, that looks like an incredible tour - your friend Alex G in Brighton
Thanks Alex!  as an alternative I've decided to keep with the coastal theme and will be heading off on Wednesday on this ride, https://cycle.travel/map/journey/164415  I should be passing through Brighton sometime early on Friday morning so let me know if you're around to meet up for a coffee :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2020, 02:04:14 pm »
Thanks Alex!  as an alternative I've decided to keep with the coastal theme and will be heading off on Wednesday on this ride, https://cycle.travel/map/journey/164415  I should be passing through Brighton sometime early on Friday morning so let me know if you're around to meet up for a coffee :thumbsup:
Well that route looks pretty mint also, and you’d bag some good tiles too.
Early doors on Friday could work yeah, there’s even a coffee stop at the bottom of my road on Hove Beach: ‘Rockwater’. Give me a bit of notice and an ETA and I’ll see if the little man is up for a stroll to meet you.
Enjoy the tour.