General Category > Audax

LEJOG: 03-08 JULY 2022

(1/81) > >>

Andy Corless:

Whilst organising the 1000/1200 last weekend I had a few inquiries about next year's Land's End to John o' Groats (LEJOG) so I thought I'd better post about it. Here are a few practical details:

EVENT:

LEJOG 1400 km at Randonneur standard in July next year.

Distance: 1400 - 1435 km
Ascent: 12000 metres
Category: LRM (Les Randonneurs Mondiaux)

THE START

Date: Sunday 26 July 2020
Start: Land's End, Cornwall, England at 08:00 am prompt
Finish: John o' Groats, Highland, Scotland (before 04:40 am on Friday 31 July 2020)!

OVERVIEW

The LEJOG will start at the headland of Land's End, Cornwall, the far south-western corner of the UK mainland and will finish at the village of John o' Groats, Scotland, the far north-eastern corner of the UK mainland. Route doesn’t follow the most direct route between the start & finish but will pass through England; Wales & Scotland!

Riders will be expected to maintain a minimum cycling average speed of 12 kph including anytime spent off the bike.

Controls will be placed at roughly 50-mile intervals but 4 of the controls, which we hope riders will use overnight, will have adequate shower & sleeping facilities.

Drop bag to 2 of the overnight controls, an opportunity for riders to collect clean clothes etc will help ensure everyone makes it through this randonnee. Your drop-bags will later be transferred to John o’ Groats ready for collection on arrival.

Each and every rider will need to make their own way to the start at Land’s End and home from John o’ Groats afterwards.

THE ROUTE

The route has more or less been finalised but there'll doubtless be some revisions beforehand. The route is essentially split into 5-stages, ridden over 4/5 days:

Stage 1: Land's End to Weston-super-Mare  (287 km)

Stage 2: Weston-super-Mare to Warrington (293 km)

Stage 3: Warrington to Abington (275 km)

Stage 4: Abington to Inverness (350 km)

Stage 5: Inverness to John o' Groats (200 km)

All the above distances are subject to confirmation. You do not have to sleep at the overnight controls and are free to push on if you so wish!

Weston-super-Mare; Warrington; Abington & Inverness are where the overnight (bunk-house/outdoor centre) controls will be placed offering feeding; shower; sleeping options etc.

The intermediate controls will use commercial facilities. Drop-bag will be available to 2 of the last 3 overnight controls.

Considering there's no overnight control between Abington and Inverness riders will likely have a choice of route between Abington & Inverness; either heading west over the Erskine Bridge before a run up the A82 via Fort William to Inverness or continuing north, past Edinburgh and crossing over the Forth Bridge before following the A9 through the Highlands to merge with the (western) route near Inverness.

In accordance with LRM regulations:

The overall time-limit will be 116 hours & 40 minutes.

No rider will be credited with a finishing time under 46 hours, 40 minutes.

Hope this answers a few questions.

ENTER?

Entry fee: £146.00. When entering online, non AUK/CTC/CUK members will see £3 automatically added to include temporary membership for insurance purposes!

N.B. entry fees are non-refundable and will be taken at the time of entry! The entry fee won’t fluctuate during the course that entries remain open!

Event is likely to be over-subscribed so early entry advised!

Your confirmation email, usually received from PayPal immediately after entering and paying the event entry fee, guarantees you a place on the event! Online entrants will also usually receive e-mail confirmation of their entry from the organiser’s within 72-hours of entering!

** No SR or any other qualification required to ride this event! Entries are now being taken on a first come – first served basis! Entries will close when the entry field limit of 120 riders is reached! **

Entry fee includes, but not limited to:

* Brevet card with detailed route-sheet giving precise instructions
* Validation with Audax UK (AUK) and Les Randonneurs Mondiaux (LRM) for successful riders
* Optional breakfast on the morning of the event (typically cereal/toast, tea/coffee/juice etc)
* Bag drop to 2 of the controls
* Food & drink at at least 4 of the controls
* Showers & sleeping facilities at 4 of the expected overnight controls (towels provided)!
* 3rd party insurance for UK based riders
* Any photograph’s taken by the organiser/helpers during the event
* Commemorative water-bottle and medal
Entry fee doesn't include:

* Travel expenses incurred travelling to/from the event.
* Hotel bookings for nights before, during or after the event.
* Any travel expenses incurred due to you having to abandon the event (taxis, trains etc)
* Spending money
* Commemorative event jersey (typically £35 - £45)

AUK event webpage: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-64/

Website address:https://lejog1400audax.com/

Entry webpage: http://www.aukweb.net/events/enter/20-64/

Hope this is of help for now!

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG 1400

grams:
Interested.

Is it a postal finish? Is there somewhere to get Proof of Passage at John O'Groats at Silly o'clock?

--- Quote --- before 05:40 am on Friday 31 July 2020
--- End quote ---

4:40 am?

bludger:
I am very interested. Putting this in my calendar ;D

robert french:
Registered for this as soon as I saw it. I've wanted to do LEJOG at audax pace for about 10 years, but never got round to it. Really enjoyed Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool so looking forward to the AC TLC!

mattc:

--- Quote ---No rider will be credited with a finishing time under 46 hours, 40 minutes.
--- End quote ---
that's me out then. Shame.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version