Author Topic: Audax and Garmin  (Read 6149 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Audax and Garmin
« Reply #25 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:39:23 am »
Its when some decide to use the sleeping facilities then post 📯 up joined up rides

Oh, I see!

Well, as noted previously, I post "joined up" rides simply because I leave the Garmin running from start to finish, whether or not there's a sleep stop. This is so I can more easily keep a track of the event time limits while I'm riding it rather than what it looks like on Strava after the event - about which I care nothing at all for myself, and care even less what you think.

If you want to dob me in to @stravawankers, fill your boots.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:45:30 am »
Yes   A 400 or 600 should be a one off ride with FOOD STOPS.
I like the logo with the cyclist with a headlight and headtorch shining. That's the image Audax wants to send out, someone on a big ride cycling thro the night. You can have bad weather, mechanicals or just a bad day to deal with . You signed up to ride a big one not 2 smaller ones.
Remember Audax used to be about adventure and challenging yourself.

« Reply #27 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:53:44 am »
I find it bizarre that someone thinks audax has fundamentally changed because some use a different way of navigating.  If two riders, ride together the entire time, one with route sheet and one with a GPS.  Have they fundamentally had a different adventure or challenge?

« Reply #28 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:58:05 am »
The one with the gps will be able to say its this way and the one with the route sheet doesn't need to slow down and check the directions😄

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #29 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:58:17 am »
I like the logo with the cyclist with a headlight and headtorch shining. That's the image Audax wants to send out, someone on a big ride cycling thro the night. You can have bad weather, mechanicals or just a bad day to deal with . You signed up to ride a big one not 2 smaller ones.
This is the way!

Presumably salar55 also declines facilities at controls on pbp and lel.
The only rule is that people must reach all the controls within time limits and not have outside support,  additional made up rules about steel bikes,  hair shirts, self flagulation and sleep deprivation exist only in the minds of some fundamentalists.

In fact I think Audax should not be about increasing danger in the roads by trying to use the public highway with no sleep in over 40 hours.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #30 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:00:52 am »
The one with the gps will be able to say its this way and the one with the route sheet doesn't need to slow down and check the directions😄

Or they will both ride straight past a turn because they were yakking. It was ever thus.

« Reply #31 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:17:35 am »
True, anything above a 600 is a game changer. Lack of sleep etc. How many do the ultra ones compared to 400 and 600s, are they still in the 15 to 30km/h limits?

citoyen

« Reply #32 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:45:47 am »
You signed up to ride a big one not 2 smaller ones.

Should be entirely up to each rider how they approach it. You don't get an extra time allowance if you stop for a sleep. Nothing to stop you having a sleep on a 200, as long as you can still get round inside the 13hr limit.

FOOD STOPS? Luxury! Back in my day, we had to make do with a handful of freezing cold gravel in our jersey pockets to snack on.

::-)

« Reply #33 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:51:12 am »
I find it bizarre that someone thinks audax has fundamentally changed because some use a different way of navigating.  If two riders, ride together the entire time, one with route sheet and one with a GPS.  Have they fundamentally had a different adventure or challenge?
Riding together, that's cheating, what sort of race is that?
I think anyone who does anything different to me, ought to have a two hour time penalty.

« Reply #34 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:59:10 am »
I don’t really understand the OP, to be honest.

This is quite common
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #35 on: 19 March, 2021, 11:07:59 am »
Time for a confession.

I once STOPPED FOR A POO on an audax ride. Indoors. Flush toilet and everything.

I even took a moment to wash my hands*.

When I got to the finish line, I handed my card to the guy at the desk, didn't say a word about my obvious cheating, and the poor fool stamped it. He even offered me warm words of congratulations.

I've been wracked with guilt all these years. I'll hand myself in to the audax authorities and burn all my badges.

You'll never hear from me again.

(* not properly, I'm a cyclist)

« Reply #36 on: 19 March, 2021, 11:27:27 am »
I could spin a few stories about faffing about but Revolution 9 would be embarrassed 👿

« Reply #37 on: 19 March, 2021, 12:41:19 pm »
I could spin a few stories about faffing about but Revolution 9 would be embarrassed 👿

Rim tape?
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #38 on: 19 March, 2021, 02:00:29 pm »
FOOD STOPS? Luxury! Back in my day, we had to make do with a handful of freezing cold gravel in our jersey pockets to snack on.

Here come the four Yorkshire men, fashioning wheels out of fallen branches in the woodland. Gear cable from twisted flax ..., saddles made from moss covered bark.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #39 on: 19 March, 2021, 03:41:24 pm »
I once stopped for a sleep on a 100. Well, it was a snooze in the sun on a nice patch of grass rather than a full-on sleep. In any case, I didn't post it to Strava so the whole ride might have been a figment of my imagination. Or maybe of someone else's imagination.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #40 on: 19 March, 2021, 09:37:23 pm »
We've had all this discussion before, and if I remember right Windy won that discussion with "its only a new ride if you change your shorts"

« Reply #41 on: 20 March, 2021, 12:13:50 pm »
We've had all this discussion before, and if I remember right Windy won that discussion with "its only a new ride if you change your shorts"

With a name like his that would be just after a feeding station 👿

« Reply #42 on: 20 March, 2021, 03:49:43 pm »

No it isn't. A 400 or 600 is a ride of that distance within the time limit set by the organiser.

Whether you eat, sleep, shit or stop and play fucking Playstation is irrelevant as long as you return to Arrive before a defined time whilst visiting all the control points.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 20 March, 2021, 05:53:34 pm »

No it isn't. A 400 or 600 is a ride of that distance within the time limit set by the organiser.

Whether you eat, sleep, shit or stop and play fucking Playstation is irrelevant as long as you return to Arrive before a defined time whilst visiting all the control points.

And in the case of mandatory route events, follow the prescribed route.

I still don't understand the OP. Where does Strava come into all of this?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #44 on: 20 March, 2021, 06:43:36 pm »
Looks like Audax has changed, where are the likes of the Derby Mercury and the VC167. When they turned up for a 400 or 600 up here it would be a good day on the bike.

Chris N

« Reply #45 on: 20 March, 2021, 08:01:45 pm »

citoyen

« Reply #46 on: 20 March, 2021, 08:50:25 pm »
Looks like Audax has changed

And don’t policemen look so young these days?

« Reply #47 on: 20 March, 2021, 08:52:20 pm »
Looks like Audax has changed, where are the likes of the Derby Mercury and the VC167. When they turned up for a 400 or 600 up here it would be a good day on the bike.

Well if its VC167 they are too busy spending the quarter of a million pounds AUK surplus and causing a deficit, aren't they?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #48 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:43:26 pm »
Lowlands 1200 in July 2010. The route was a 1000 km loop followed by a 200 km loop. A recumbent rider did the first loop, realised they weren't on for a really fast time so went to work for a day to save some annual leave and then did the final 200 km loop. Terrible behaviour 😂
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

LMT

« Reply #49 on: 21 March, 2021, 12:45:27 am »
Its amazing how many riders manage to ride 400+ audaxs today without little rests or a lie down. When everyone has Strava on the mobile app (ride time only)  its as if we're all on drugs. Audax and organisers could make money by having all runs X rated. If Strava had an automatic upload when the timer or unit was switched off that would sort out a large percentage of riders. Changed days from not being able to publish your times. 😄

Is it amazing? Quicker bikes that are ergonomically sound (recumbent) so you go quicker for less and comfort is not an issue. And tech has improved, a power meter allows you to pace your effort and as a rough guide work out your calories that you'll burn so you can prepare your nutrition beforehand keeping the stops and faffing to a minimum.