Author Topic: training tips for 600kms audax events  (Read 49737 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
Re: training tips for 600kms audax events
« Reply #75 on: 06 December, 2010, 01:57:37 pm »
Oh I love this thread, this delicate mixture of bragging and giving advice. Great  :thumbsup:
Has anybody said, "It's not that difficult, even I can do itTM M.Volio" yet?

Yes I know it is sometimes so difficult to get the balance right between bragging and advice, you see. After finishing last year's K&SW on my unicycle, riding backwards while finishing my latest book 'One theory for everything: The ultimate physicist dream - accomplished', I can only advice you to prioritise mental strength over...
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

LEE

« Reply #76 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:01:04 pm »
Be aware that many riders, er, that would be me, find a 400 the hardest distance to ride.

I do too... but I suspect it's psychological and I've put a barrier there! I don't feel I'm quick enough to bank enough time to get a decent sleep AND still have a comfortable amount of time to finish in. So I ride it straight through and maybe 'power nap' once or twice. For some weird and wonderful reason, it just feels like more of an endurance effort than a 600.

I find 400s tough but I find that a 600 feels almost exactly like a tough 400 followed immediately by a 200 where any part of my bike is painful to touch.

« Reply #77 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:14:03 pm »
I'll join the "don't like 400s" crowd. 300 is a good day ride, 600 is a good weekend.

400 just seems to destroy the weekend (as the following day is a dead one anyway - too tired to do anything), so if I'm going to do that I might as well do a 600 (or ride to/from the 400).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #78 on: 06 December, 2010, 02:23:11 pm »
Although I find 6s much harder than 4s*, I agree with Matt. Which is why I prefer 500s!

I've done 4 SRs, only 2x400s (one of which was my route-check).

[*Anyone that thinks otherwise, it really is all in your head! :)  ]

Back on track:

Have never ridden through the night before so that should be an experience.
Just give it a go, after 12h at work ride another 7 through the darkness. Or start your commute at 3am with an extra loop. It  gives you an idea how you feel under sleep deprivation and isn't so difficult integrate into 'normal' life.

A good alternative is to join an organised night ride, e.g. FNRttC (if you can get to Hyde Park easily), or the Oxford franchise. I found this an excellent stepping-stone.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #79 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:12:10 pm »
Have never ridden through the night before so that should be an experience.
Just give it a go, after 12h at work ride another 7 through the darkness. Or start your commute at 3am with an extra loop. It  gives you an idea how you feel under sleep deprivation and isn't so difficult integrate into 'normal' life.
A good alternative is to join an organised night ride, e.g. FNRttC (if you can get to Hyde Park easily), or the Oxford franchise. I found this an excellent stepping-stone.

Also excellent and in the South West (from Bristol) but only once per anum : Exmouth Exodus, see: Ride through the night to the seaside! Exmouth Exodus

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »
I was going to mention the Exodus, but being in late June makes it a little unhelpful as part of a 2011 PBP campaign!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:22:40 pm »
My own tips for first 600 would be

1/ takes spares of mitts/shorts/socks - the items that take pressure. This is because you might find what you start the ride in may become very uncomfortable over such a distance with blisters and the like. And try and take replacements that are different, for example thin socks as a replacement for thick ones.

2/ Keep salt intake up: Nuun tablets are good and some cheese, ham, salami etc. amongst the all cakes are good.  You'll feel better and keep eating better.

3/ If you find you get any aches/pain/numbness from shorter rides, it will probably get worse the more you do, so build up distance and correct problems carefully. Also if you have any old chronic injuries they might flare up. Exercises for your core muscles (light weights, pilates etc.) over the winter once or twice a week can help.
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #82 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »
I was going to mention the Exodus, but being in late June makes it a little unhelpful as part of a 2011 PBP campaign!
Yup, where was my head? Then just consider it as a proud plug for an event I have no particular affiliation other than participating once for fun with no hidden training agenda...

« Reply #83 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:26:28 pm »
I will be riding the Exodus, I missed it this year because I hadn't yet taken up cycling in May this year. I will just consider it fitness training in the PBP run up :)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #84 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:27:56 pm »
I'll join the "don't like 400s" crowd. 300 is a good day ride, 600 is a good weekend.

400 just seems to destroy the weekend (as the following day is a dead one anyway - too tired to do anything), so if I'm going to do that I might as well do a 600 (or ride to/from the 400).

+1

I also find that 300s are an extremely useful preparation.
Chief cat entertainer.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #85 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »
Yup, where was my head? Then just consider it as a proud plug for an event I have no particular affiliation other than participating once for fun with no hidden training agenda...
Perhaps some kind souls could run a route-check event on a warm night in April :)

Looking at the profile it might be really good PBP prep, what with the night-time start and several long 5% climbs.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LEE

« Reply #86 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:29:13 pm »
My own tips for first 600 would be

1/ takes spares of mitts/shorts/socks - the items that take pressure. This is because you might find what you start the ride in may become very uncomfortable over such a distance with blisters and the like. And try and take replacements that are different, for example thin socks as a replacement for thick ones.

2/ Keep salt intake up: Nuun tablets are good and some cheese, ham, salami etc. amongst the all cakes are good.  You'll feel better and keep eating better.

3/ If you find you get any aches/pain/numbness from shorter rides, it will probably get worse the more you do, so build up distance and correct problems carefully. Also if you have any old chronic injuries they might flare up. Exercises for your core muscles (light weights, pilates etc.) over the winter once or twice a week can help.

Agreed here.  This is why it's good to build up to a 600.  It's very unlikely that any discomfort experienced on a 200/300 will get better during the subsequent 300/400km.  Get any discomfort issues fixed before embarking on a 400/600, because everything seems a little bit worse at 4am, when there's only a small section of illuminated tarmac to look at and occupy your mind.  

Corollary: Nice scenery is an effective pain-killer.

steveindenmark

« Reply #87 on: 06 December, 2010, 03:56:22 pm »
I find this interesting.

Until about a month ago I had never heard of Audax but I like the idea of "Orienteering" on a bike.
But then again I am not a cyclist. I think the furthest I have ever ridden in a day is about 30 miles and that was years ago.
I am now 52 years old, a bit overweight and not really fit.

My biggest problem is that someone on one of these sites told me about PBP in 2011 and that it only runs every 4 years. I have no option but to do it this year because I could be brown bread in 4 years....you never know.

Anyway I do not like diamond frame bikes because they hurt all my old motorbike injuries so I have ordered a Bacchetta Giro 26 recumbent bike which will arrive at my home in denmark next week. The fact that I have a metre of snow outside my door and that it was -15 last night is only a small problem. Not having ever ridden a 2 wheeled recumbent is a slightly bigger problem.

My first "Modification" will be to fit my flask holder from BikeBuddy because I am not riding around in this weather without hot coffee. The first 200 I can find within a reasonable distance of where I live is in Kiel, Germany on March 5th and that is about 3 hours away, depending on how much snow we have between now and then.

This is my personal challenge for 2011.

I know I can do the SR and the PBP who wants to bet against it?  ;D

Steve

« Reply #88 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:19:49 pm »
I find this interesting.

Until about a month ago I had never heard of Audax but I like the idea of "Orienteering" on a bike.
But then again I am not a cyclist. I think the furthest I have ever ridden in a day is about 30 miles and that was years ago.

My biggest problem is that someone on one of these sites told me about PBP in 2011 and that it only runs every 4 years. I have no option but to do it this year because I could be brown bread in 4 years....you never know.

Anyway I do not like diamond frame bikes because they hurt all my old motorbike injuries so I have ordered a Bacchetta Giro 26 recumbent bike which will arrive at my home in denmark next week. The fact that I have a metre of snow outside my door and that it was -15 last night is only a small problem. Not having ever ridden a 2 wheeled recumbent is a slightly bigger problem.

My first "Modification" will be to fit my flask holder from BikeBuddy because I am not riding around in this weather without hot coffee. The first 200 I can find within a reasonable distance of where I live is in Kiel, Germany on March 5th and that is about 3 hours away, depending on how much snow we have between now and then.

Steve

I admire your optimism. Best of luck Steve!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

LEE

« Reply #89 on: 06 December, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »
I find this interesting.

I know I can do the SR and the PBP who wants to bet against it?  ;D

Steve

Well, based on the following statements:

and

The first 200 I can find within a reasonable distance of where I live is in Kiel, Germany on March 5th and that is about 3 hours away, depending on how much snow we have between now and then.

and

Not having ever ridden a 2 wheeled recumbent is a slightly bigger problem.

I'll bet £5 against you completing PBP.  

There, you have some motivation now.

Seriously, it will be some achievement to go from 30 miles maximum distance to over 750 miles between March and August (on a new type of bike especially). 

Maybe you have some inner fitness that I didn't have but it's tough enough to get over that 100 mile/160km barrier initially from a base of only 30 miles.

AndyH

« Reply #90 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »
Would you go to 6 euros if you have to pay it in Paris, at the End, Lee ?

Billy Weir

« Reply #91 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:13:29 pm »
Corollary: Nice scenery is an effective pain-killer....but ibuprofen is better.

FTFY

LEE

« Reply #92 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:28:12 pm »
Would you go to 6 euros if you have to pay it in Paris, at the End, Lee ?

Yes.  if he goes from 30 miles max to completing PBP then I'll happily hand over 6 Euros as congratulations, because it will be an amazing achievement.

Just out of interest, how many times have you ridden 30 miles steveindenmark ?

I suppose 30 miles a day commuting puts you in a different league to, say, riding it a couple of times in summer but still, even 100 miles is a long way, you still have Glycogen left after 30 miles, your body hasn't started tearing fat off your bones at that point.  Your saddle still feels comfortable after 30 miles.  Rain isn't an issue on a 30 mile ride because you're only an hour from home.

I look forward to reading about your 200 in March.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #93 on: 06 December, 2010, 05:45:31 pm »
Loads of great advice here. I would add one more thing - have a plan. By this I mean have some realistic idea of how long you will take between each control and how much time you will spend at each control and then keep track of how much time it gives you "in hand". then be prepared to throw it all away! I do 2 plans, an ideal schedule and a worse case senario and then keep track of whereabouts I am between them. This helps me keep things in perspective - losing time through a mechanical or needing extra sleep/rest doesn't seem such a disaster or seem so stressful if you can see you can still make controls/finish in time.
FWIW I did my first 400 a week before my first 600 last year. However I did a lot of miles on 200 and 300s leading up to them including a number of back to back rides.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #94 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »
As for practical advice that you asked about, you really need to work it out for yourself

This is by far the best advice I've read in this thread.
Sorry.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #95 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:40:33 pm »
 Your saddle still feels comfortable after 30 miles.

This is a lie. Lucky for Steveindenmark he is wise enough to cheat.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #96 on: 06 December, 2010, 06:54:02 pm »
I used Steve's testimony as a test of a new option in Google Translate (blokespeak-to-english):

But then again I am not a cyclist. I think the furthest I have ever ridden in a day is about 30 miles and that was 2 years ago, when I worked as a unicycling coal-delivery man.

I am now 52 years old, a bit overweight (2kg heavier than my schooldays) and not really fit - I have never run a marathon faster than 2h35m, and often only row twice a week.

The first 200 I can find within a reasonable distance of where I live is in Kiel, Germany on March 5th , so I shall ride Teethgrinder's January 600.

;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #97 on: 06 December, 2010, 07:54:45 pm »
As for practical advice that you asked about, you really need to work it out for yourself

This is by far the best advice I've read in this thread.
Sorry.

You do have to work things out for yourself but the advice to learn from every ride is wise.
After every event make a note of things you wanted but did not have and of things you had but did not need.
Djust packing for next ride accordingly.

LEE

« Reply #98 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »
I used Steve's testimony as a test of a new option in Google Translate (blokespeak-to-english):

But then again I am not a cyclist. I think the furthest I have ever ridden in a day is about 30 miles and that was 2 years ago, when I worked as a unicycling coal-delivery man.

I am now 52 years old, a bit overweight (2kg heavier than my schooldays) and not really fit - I have never run a marathon faster than 2h35m, and often only row twice a week.

The first 200 I can find within a reasonable distance of where I live is in Kiel, Germany on March 5th , so I shall ride Teethgrinder's January 600.

;)

Yes, I also suspect we don't know the whole truth and there's some false modesty involved.

"Middle aged, unfit, not done it for years", cyclists would normally target London-Brighton, and be rightly pleased if they completed it.

Come on now Steveindenmark, own up...what's your sporting background?  Are you Sir Ranulph Fiennes OBE?

« Reply #99 on: 06 December, 2010, 08:40:47 pm »

Come on now Steveindenmark, own up...what's your sporting background?  Are you Sir Ranulph Fiennes OBE?

Don't think so. He's typing as if he's got all his fingers.