Author Topic: training tips for 600kms audax events  (Read 49737 times)

Re: training tips for 600kms audax events
« Reply #125 on: 07 December, 2010, 03:53:41 pm »

I use a dirty and ugly looking bike with a piddly Abus combination lock to encourage thieves even more towards the pretty, shiny ones.  This tactic has worked so far.  By the way, your n+1 will always be safe won't it?  It's bike number n you need to worry about.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #126 on: 07 December, 2010, 03:56:27 pm »
One of the things that worries me on audaxs is leaving my bike outside places, particularly when I will be riding my N+1 with its nice Ti frame and 2 grand price ticket. Does anyone actually ride 600km with a Kryptonite lock on board? How do you all deal with going into controls and having your bike out of sight?

I took a cable lock on LEL in 2005 but I only used it before the event on the way up to the start

Other than that, I do make an effort to leave the bike with fellow participants and/or keep it in view

Some people take a very light lock such as this
Lock Alarm Mini Cable Alarm | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

« Reply #127 on: 07 December, 2010, 04:05:46 pm »
One of the things that worries me on audaxs is leaving my bike outside places, particularly when I will be riding my N+1 with its nice Ti frame and 2 grand price ticket. Does anyone actually ride 600km with a Kryptonite lock on board? How do you all deal with going into controls and having your bike out of sight?

When this happens I'm too tired to care. I never bring a lock on audaxes, and my bike was 4k€(oh, and I really can't afford a new one, or even a 2nd hand). Of course it's not shiny and only disabled people ride recumbents and it's wrong to steal from disabled people. So YMMV.
It's also insured, and I ... well, lets not put this on a public forum.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #128 on: 07 December, 2010, 04:12:41 pm »
£4k bike (although usually it's just the £1k bike). £4 lock:

On of these: Evans Cycles | Abus Combination Lock 1150 | Online Bike Shop in a sale with 50% off.

Locked up either in sight (if possible), amongst lots of other bikes, and/or I'm too tired to care (most of LEL).

Some controls you really don't need to worry about it (most of the controls on the BCM for example).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #129 on: 07 December, 2010, 04:17:46 pm »
I also carry a cheap cable lock (albeit keyed, not combination).
Here is where the technique of making sure you lock your lock as you put it in your bag is useful; that way you have to unlock it before you fasten up your bike, so you are sure you have the key with you - not something you want to find you've left behind when you come out of a control 300km from home/your car.

But to sum up the thread above; everyone is different, you'll find your own way as you build up to the 600.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #130 on: 07 December, 2010, 04:17:46 pm »
I rely on a lock just like Greenbanks. Plus the fact that other peoples bikes are so much shiner than mine, even when it's just been washed it.

« Reply #131 on: 07 December, 2010, 04:26:32 pm »
All my bikes (that I'm likely to leave outside a control/cafe/shop) have got 'ring locks' (aka nurse locks) for the rear wheel - as LEE said, not likely to deter a professional but will deter a chancer.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #132 on: 07 December, 2010, 04:53:26 pm »
I can still call it N+1 because I haven't actually ordered it yet  ;D (I am waiting for the Sabbath dealer to get back to me after sending in my measurements).

I actually already have one of those very thin cable combination ones with the alarm on it, I have used that to lock my Fuji up at cafe's and pubs so far. But it would be so quick to snip the cable and make off with the bike that I don't rate my chances of getting out there to grab it before they rode off. I was wondering about additionally deploying a Sneaky Tactic like a reusable cable tie round the rear wheel and frame that they might not even notice until they tried to ride off ....

I am planning on insuring my new bike, but the cover would only be valid if I was using a gold standard (soldsecure) lock around a solid fixed object. This might even preclude the use of the small sized Krytonite as that wont go round many posts aswell as the frame.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #133 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:22:21 pm »
I can still call it N+1 because I haven't actually ordered it yet  ;D (I am waiting for the Sabbath dealer to get back to me after sending in my measurements).

I actually already have one of those very thin cable combination ones with the alarm on it, I have used that to lock my Fuji up at cafe's and pubs so far. But it would be so quick to snip the cable and make off with the bike that I don't rate my chances of getting out there to grab it before they rode off. I was wondering about additionally deploying a Sneaky Tactic like a reusable cable tie round the rear wheel and frame that they might not even notice until they tried to ride off ....

I am planning on insuring my new bike, but the cover would only be valid if I was using a gold standard (soldsecure) lock around a solid fixed object. This might even preclude the use of the small sized Krytonite as that wont go round many posts aswell as the frame.

Is this using a cycle specific insurance policy that demands a certain standard of lock?

I changed to M&S for 2 reasons - they cover bikes up to £4K in value as standard (when we got the tandem, I nearly had a heart attack at the premium Cycle Guard wanted to charge us!) and they don't make any specific demands on the level of lock (I use a cheap ABUS cable lock on audax rides).  Here in London, I wouldn't dream of locking up a bike with the cable lock - but there is a very high chance of someone being around with bolt croppers.  I also would not leave computer, lights, Carradice etc. on the bike in the central London - but outside a cafe, where I was only going to be for twenty minutes and could see the bike from the window, I would leave them on.

It's a balance of the risks - outside a cafe somewhere, what are the chances that a person is going to walk past equipped with bolt croppers?  There's plenty of other cyclists around, and it's usually possible to position the bike so you can see it from the window. 

It is more about stopping the opportunist.  Most bike thiefs will operate in specific areas, at specific times when they know there is opportunity to steal bikes - unless they are looking through the AUK calendar and cross-referencing route sheets for controls and times, then it would be unlikely that a bike thief would happen to be in the area where there are 20-30 nice shiny bikes at one time.

However, my experiences and thoughts are only from the three 200km rides I have done so far - I might carry a bigger lock if I were planning on sleeping somewhere for a couple of hours?  Or I might not.  At the end of the day, I have to take M&S at their word (I did ask specifically if there was any requirement for the quality of the lock and they said no, as long as it was locked to something immovable).

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #134 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:30:44 pm »
Yeah that was from the small print of a cycle specific policy. It even specified the bike has to be locked if it is inside a locked car!
I realised that the locks on my garage doors would not meet their standards as they are not mortice deadbolts and so any bikes in my garage wouldn't be covered, and bikes in the house only if locked to a ground anchor. I don't really want a ground anchor in my study.
I had a vague idea I could rely on the Kryptonite guarantee instead of the insurance maybe.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #135 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »
I've carried a wee lock on some audaxes, but like others have said these wouldn't stop someone determined taking the bike.

Manned controls are normally fine because you can either take the bike inside; they'll be people around all the time; or you're in the middle of nowhere at silly o'clock in the morning and you'd be grateful if someone did steal your bike 'cos you'd then have an excuse not to go outside in the pissing rain and ride another X0 kms.

Commercial controls can vary. I'll happily walk into a petrol station with the bike left on the forecourt if I'm not in a city centre. If using a cafe I'll find a window seat and keep an eye on the bike. Sometime there's a backyard where you can leave the bike (the same for pubs!). Supermarkets are my biggest worry, but you can just wheel you bike into the shop.

The other way around these problems is to ride with others and then one person can guard the bikes whilst the someone else forages for Ginsters and Frijj milkshakes.

Adopt a Mantra when you arrive at a control - "don't forget brevet card, don't forget water bottles, order food, stamp brevet, get water bottles filled, eat food and go".

Basically you can sit and wait for food to arrive or you can do all those "admin jobs" whilst waiting for it to arrive.

I never do any of this and always regret it.

The other tip that's useful is planning. Before you get to a control think about what you need to do. Firstly get the Brevet card stamped, but also what about food? Drink? Bottles refilled? Magic powder added to the bottles? Change of clothes? Sort out the route card / load up the next section on your GPS? Fit lights / turn on lights if it's getting dark? Adjust something on the bike? If you know what you need to do, you can then just get on and deal with the list rather than getting ready to set off and then releasing the next part of the routesheet is in the saddle bag etc.

The other useful thing is to decide beforehand who long you're going to stop. Will you be around for a meal, in which case you've got time to faff a bit; or is this just a quick grab and sandwich and eat it on the move?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #136 on: 07 December, 2010, 05:40:58 pm »
having 2k of unlocked bike outside is one way to make you control quicker  :)

« Reply #137 on: 07 December, 2010, 07:33:11 pm »
My tip for doing a 600 ,in fact any distance.   Dont get cocky about it.   That also applies to experienced cyclists.     Quite easy to ride many events at all the distances with no problem what so ever, then one day you get bitten.     

AndyH

« Reply #138 on: 07 December, 2010, 07:58:44 pm »
Now would be the wrong time to own up to pubbe visits, I guess?
Yes. We should be setting a good example.

Yes, you should  ;)

Someone knew a pub just down the road. Time for a quick stop before the control.

The quick stop turned into a meal for about 1 1/2 hours. We had a table for 8, after thirst quenching cokes beer & wine were enjoyed and main courses........... Us newbies were entertained by Steve & Ian's audax tales. At one point I thought we were going to retire to the drawing room with brandy & cigars. ;D

« Reply #139 on: 07 December, 2010, 08:15:12 pm »

Careful preparation is essential, and even then the unexpected can derail you.

Wise words:-
My tip for doing a 600 ,in fact any distance.   Dont get cocky about it.   That also applies to experienced cyclists.     Quite easy to ride many events at all the distances with no problem what so ever, then one day you get bitten.     

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #140 on: 07 December, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »

that's very true, unexpected stuff can happen, but it's not the end of the world. if there's no way i can continue riding, then so be it, there will be plenty of rides ahead. it would be interesting to know what fellow riders consider as a valid reason to pack (tiredness, aches and pains, bad weather, minor mechanicals etc. don't count). this could worth a separate thread, unless already discussed before.

« Reply #141 on: 07 December, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »

And what a noise ur alarm makes when it goes off as i noticed outside the control in ferndale on the glamorgan glamour :)
Climb every mountain, onwards and upwards.
Next event:- ??????

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #142 on: 07 December, 2010, 11:30:12 pm »
I was wondering about additionally deploying a Sneaky Tactic like a reusable cable tie round the rear wheel and frame that they might not even notice until they tried to ride off ....

If you're playing that game, I reckon one of those little padlocks that you lock suitcases with, through a link of the chain and around a rear spoke would weigh almost nothing and buy you enough wtf time to intervene.

« Reply #143 on: 07 December, 2010, 11:39:45 pm »
I was wondering about additionally deploying a Sneaky Tactic like a reusable cable tie round the rear wheel and frame that they might not even notice until they tried to ride off ....

If you're playing that game, I reckon one of those little padlocks that you lock suitcases with, through a link of the chain and around a rear spoke would weigh almost nothing and buy you enough wtf time to intervene.

Yes! This indeed sounds like the kind of Sneaky Tactic I was after!

« Reply #144 on: 08 December, 2010, 07:18:25 am »
it would be interesting to know what fellow riders consider as a valid reason to pack (tiredness, aches and pains, bad weather, minor mechanicals etc. don't count). this could worth a separate thread, unless already discussed before.

It has.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #145 on: 08 December, 2010, 11:27:27 am »

I've tried this, the only problem is one of oily fingers.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #146 on: 08 December, 2010, 12:06:41 pm »

I've tried this, the only problem is one of oily fingers.

I forsee the bigger problem of forgetting to take it off and pedalling off with bits of chain and spokes flying everywhere!  But if you weren't forgetful, like I am, then it's a pretty neat solution.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #147 on: 08 December, 2010, 01:22:02 pm »
After a few rides without being cleaned your shining new bike will look like a bag of ***** and the scumbags will be attracted by someone elses new bike.

Alternatively ride fixed and have the last laugh when the thief makes an arse of himself

« Reply #148 on: 08 December, 2010, 01:54:59 pm »

I forsee the bigger problem of forgetting to take it off and pedalling off with bits of chain and spokes flying everywhere!...

Or even a theft attempt leaving the bike damaged or unridable. That's nearly as bad as having it stolen.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #149 on: 08 December, 2010, 06:42:03 pm »
What is a 'wee lock' and where can I buy one?

:-[

H