Author Topic: Atrial Fibrillation  (Read 2397 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Atrial Fibrillation
« Reply #25 on: 11 April, 2024, 01:33:17 pm »

As ever, they are only interested in men   :facepalm:  >:( >:( >:(
This study will use MRI (a type of scan) to look at the hearts and brains of older male “veteran” athletes with and without atrial fibrillation as well as non-athletic controls.
I am getting rather fed up of living in a world with a drip-drip-drip that says I'm not relevant.

I asked about this when I was involved in my last heart research project. The answer was it would have to be a separate project but not enough women (it requires a certain amount to be valid) come forward to secure the funding.

« Reply #26 on: 11 April, 2024, 01:55:38 pm »
Well, looks like I'm in.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #27 on: 11 April, 2024, 04:37:29 pm »
A well-kent name as chief investigator.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #28 on: 11 April, 2024, 04:58:24 pm »
I get recruiting women is hard but then it ends up with 80-90 if not 100% of research done on men which misses out ways women's health/experiences differ.

« Reply #29 on: 12 April, 2024, 06:29:29 am »
It appears that I am too old to be a veteran athlete.

Ah, but you are an International athlete I believe

« Reply #30 on: 12 April, 2024, 06:30:49 am »
Well that is me except for the word 'athlete'. Does an audax count as an "organised event at regional or higher level"? I'm not sure, even though...as you know...I won quite a few.

I got called an athlete by a physioterrorist once.  Of course, that was before I was a BRITISH champion...  ;D

So good, in fact, that you were able to do it all lying down.  ;)

« Reply #31 on: 12 April, 2024, 07:41:26 am »
It appears that I am too old to be a veteran athlete. 

Same here

Athlete? Goodness me. By the standards of Chris Hoy, I am most definitely not an athlete, but the standards of people I used to drink with, I am super-duper athletic! But yet to win an audax. Although a perm would surely count.

I noted this too...

"We also need healthy individuals, who do not have a history of atrial fibrillation nor a stroke and do not meet the criteria for being an athlete."

Love the word 'healthy' and it's definition......does that mean 12 units a week sitting on the sofa clicking many buttons day and night, or does it mean 60 units a week but also riding 50 miles at the weekend? Semantics....gotta love it.

This all got me going down yet another rabbit hole.....I must stop reading The Internet. Kind of interesting though.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4311486/

What do we take away from all this? Not sure really - maybe just live your life as you see fit.
Garry Broad

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #32 on: 12 April, 2024, 07:46:24 am »

As ever, they are only interested in men   :facepalm:  >:( >:( >:(
This study will use MRI (a type of scan) to look at the hearts and brains of older male “veteran” athletes with and without atrial fibrillation as well as non-athletic controls.
I am getting rather fed up of living in a world with a drip-drip-drip that says I'm not relevant.

I asked about this when I was involved in my last heart research project. The answer was it would have to be a separate project but not enough women (it requires a certain amount to be valid) come forward to secure the funding.

That's surprising given the population is about half and half. Which suggests one or more of:
- the terms of the study are more applicable to men than to women
- the wording of the recruitment poster was more likely to attract men (there's a slew of stuff about how to word job ads)
- targeting of recruitment was in more male environments.
Deliberate or thoughtless, I let you decide.

I put to you the carer wrangling their ?dependent up and down stairs etc vs someone slouching in goal and a poster calling for "athletes".
Or me 20 years ago taking little dears around on the back of the tandem +trailer.
And our own questions as to whether audax is as athletics.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #33 on: 12 April, 2024, 04:16:34 pm »
Well I'm on the research study. Hour long MRI of heart and brain with dye, echo etc.

« Reply #34 on: 12 April, 2024, 04:29:52 pm »
Keep us informed.  I'd be ruled out of that even if I fitted the age range.  I just can't do total MRIs without sedation.

« Reply #35 on: 12 April, 2024, 06:42:16 pm »
It looks as if the study is a development of this:

https://leicesterbrc.nihr.ac.uk/atrial-fibrillation-and-stroke-in-endurance-athletes-explored-in-new-study/

...which, as it turns out I had already read a few months ago. I hadn't watched the youtube vid before and it's definitely worth watching.

I will be going through a similar process but more in depth, including an assessment by the professor in the video. And before you ask, yes...it is.

« Reply #36 on: 12 April, 2024, 07:49:53 pm »
Yes, I thought a lot of work had already been done and ... yes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 12 April, 2024, 10:20:49 pm »
I asked upthread, did I not?
There does seem to be a lot of AF in yacf denizens...

« Reply #38 on: 12 April, 2024, 10:30:30 pm »
I asked upthread, did I not?

You did, but I didn't notice and wasn't aware of his involvement until I watched the GCN vid.

« Reply #39 on: 13 April, 2024, 03:06:28 pm »
Susil (the Principal Investigator) was at the start of the club run this morning.  He is young, thin, fit, has a snazzy bike etc so wasn't planning to ride with my group but I had a brief chat with him about the maleness of the study.  He basically repeated what Pedal Castro said for the current phase.  However he hopes to include a female group in the next phase so if you are interested I suggest you get in contact with him.  If you just want to moan about stuff then carry on...

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #40 on: 13 April, 2024, 10:05:49 pm »
However he hopes to include a female group in the next phase so if you are interested I suggest you get in contact with him.
  I may have missed something but there's absolutely nothing in the link in the OP which suggests this is an option. But according to you can I email the (study mailbox) along the lines of "someone on my cycling forum who calls her/himself JonBuoy says...".
 I have tried something along these lines on a previous (male only) study. Guess what? The study stayed male only.
If you just want to moan about stuff then carry on...
And what exactly is it you think I am moaning about? 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #41 on: 14 April, 2024, 07:10:00 am »
Perhaps you can't take this to PM

« Reply #42 on: 14 April, 2024, 07:06:39 pm »
However he hopes to include a female group in the next phase so if you are interested I suggest you get in contact with him.
  I may have missed something but there's absolutely nothing in the link in the OP which suggests this is an option. But according to you can I email the (study mailbox) along the lines of "someone on my cycling forum who calls her/himself JonBuoy says...".
 I have tried something along these lines on a previous (male only) study. Guess what? The study stayed male only.
If you just want to moan about stuff then carry on...
And what exactly is it you think I am moaning about?

You seem to be moaning about 'living in a world with a drip-drip-drip that says I'm not relevant.'  That seems to me to be something that is worth moaning about.

With respect to this AF study - I took the opportunity to introduce myself to the Principal Investigator, ask him about the study and report back here and there appears to be some hope to improve the situation.  If you email him by all means mention the old, fat, unfit bloke with the unsnazzy bike who spoke to him on Saturday morning before the club ride so that I get my commission but I don't think that 'Jonbuoy' will mean anything to him.  He did say that he has kept contact details for a significant number of women who have asked similar questions with the intention of enrolling them in the next phase of the study.

Please let us know how you get on.

« Reply #43 on: 14 April, 2024, 07:35:02 pm »
I had a look at some of the other research projects Susil has been involved in.

Here is one that some might be interested in... ;)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351154290_The_Underrepresentation_of_Females_in_Studies_Assessing_the_Impact_of_High-Dose_Exercise_on_Cardiovascular_Outcomes_a_Scoping_Review

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #44 on: 15 April, 2024, 07:35:18 am »
thanks, both
it will be nice to contribute to filling the massive data gap on women's health.  :)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #45 on: 15 April, 2024, 11:48:12 am »
I looked up the distribution of Afib by sex: apparently it's more prevalent in women than men.  But, the article went on to say, that's because the men die earlier.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight