Author Topic: UK crisis analogue prepping?  (Read 7963 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: UK crisis analogue prepping?
« Reply #100 on: 31 December, 2023, 05:10:54 pm »
if you send a fax to the wrong address it's likely to get connected to not a fax machine and not be read by anyone.

I can't be the only one to have suffered from my phone number ending up in someone's outgoing fax queue, and have their fax server retry repeatedly at random hours.  Last time it happened the only way I could get it to stop was to dust off a POTS modem and receive the fax.  Which, unsurprisingly, came from a mistake agent.

Makes xkcd://1279 emails seem positively un-annoying.
Did you get a pint of milk?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #101 on: 31 December, 2023, 06:04:37 pm »

I can't be the only one to have suffered from my phone number ending up in someone's outgoing fax queue, and have their fax server retry repeatedly at random hours.  Last time it happened the only way I could get it to stop was to dust off a POTS modem and receive the fax.  Which, unsurprisingly, came from a mistake agent.

Makes xkcd://1279 emails seem positively un-annoying.

I used to have a landline number that is 1 digit different to the fax number at the County court in Canterbury...

I kept meaning to put a modem on it and see what people were faxing...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #102 on: 10 January, 2024, 03:54:12 pm »
From Robert Twigger's Walking the Great North Line, a book recommended in a different context by Andrew C:
It is half cave, half prepper's hideout, entrance concealed by the fir. Preppers are preparing for the end of the world. I know a couple. And one of my friends sells gear to them on the internet. 'You'd be surprised,' he tells me. 'My best customers are single women with good jobs – doctors and lawyers stocking up on food and fuel for a year in advance... ' Preppers sometimes put their faith in bunkers they build at home, and sometimes in 'bug-out' shelters like this one. The well prepared have both. It's an all-consuming and fascinating lifestyle predicated on doom and gloom.

He then goes on to describe the bug-out shelter, if that's what it really is, that he's stumbled across: tarp roof, branches for camouflage, oil drum stove, bag of firewood, box of supplies... Obviously it's second-hand anecdote but it is slightly surprising about the female customers, because the typical image of a prepper is a man with pseudo-military inclinations. But in fact it tends to align with what we've seen on this forum, members both past and present, so maybe it's representative.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: UK analogue doomsday prepping?
« Reply #103 on: 13 January, 2024, 04:35:56 pm »
In terms of food, I probably don't need to leave the house for about a month.
Maybe more.
I have loads of battery/powerpack powered lights.
The means to light the (gas) stove without relying on its 240v igniter.
I've been plagued by mice in my kitchen since before Xmas.
I contacted  a pest control company but they said they couldn't come out to me until the new year.
So I took matters into my own hands.
I've been putting down poison, but to no avail.

All my Brexit Emergency Rations live in four plastic crates under my kitchen table.
Turns out that the mice have discovered all of the packet foods amongst the tins, and have been gorging themselves on it, except for the dried pasta. They haven't touched that. Then again why would they, if the choice was dried pasta or Ainsley Harriot's spicy Caribbean rice.
So, the other day I chucked out what was left of all of the packet stuff, and this afternoon I chucked out all of the out of data Pesto sauce, and then gave all of the remaining tins and the plastic crates a wash in properly hot water to get rid of the mouse poo/piss.
Then I put out some more poison.

« Reply #104 on: 13 January, 2024, 05:34:28 pm »
Try chocolate.  :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #105 on: 14 January, 2024, 12:56:43 am »
Mix it with peanut butter. That is what I baited the traps with.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #106 on: 14 January, 2024, 12:59:10 am »
Think like a mouse, Grasshopper.

« Reply #107 on: 14 January, 2024, 10:33:20 am »
No traps here.
Just poison.