Author Topic: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition  (Read 40748 times)

Re: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition
« Reply #150 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:57:58 am »
I had a day when lots went wrong which led to me doing an extra 70km over distance, but enough went right for it to work out. 

I was delayed at the start trying to fix my front brake which was rubbing  after I put the wheel back in.  That meant I missed milling around and chatting to people, and also that I set off 5 or so minutes late.  I then passed most of the field by Red Lodge but was overtaken by one rider going very fast who I didn't see again.

I chatted to Chris Philips (don't think he's on here), who I rode the Gospel Pass with outside the shop at Whittlesey - where I wrongly predicted that we had had most of the rain!  Then my navigation started to unravel.  First, on the way into Boston, my Garmin said it couldn't see satellites.  I just followed signs for the town centre, and dived into M&S for food, and to set up my back-up navigation on my phone.  This wasn't a problem as I have a waterproof bag that the phone goes in, in a mount on my bars.  But the touch-screen doesn't work well with waterlogged fingers, so I struggled to find my way out of Boston with a few wrong turnings. 

Eventually I did, and met CET, Flandlander and Burlycross at some lights on the way out of town, just as someone's bag dropped off onto the road.  We rode together loosely for a while.  [apologies, Flatlander, for my lack of mudflap - the bike was set up for the Transcontinental where there is no drafting and I'd not bothered to put one on for this - however yours was exemplary - there was not a drip when I rode behind you!].  I dropped back when I couldn't close one of my bags after getting an M&S pain aux raisin out!  Then I caught up, and just before Kirton Lindsay, I was riding with Burlycross when my phone battery died.  The waterproof bag doesn't allow me to plug in a battery pack.

I then committed the cardinal sin of audax navigation - relying on someone else for navigation - and said, 'I'll just follow you to the next control' - which I was expecting to be about 10 minutes, based on our time and quick tailwind-assisted speed - 'and I'll sort out my phone there'.  Signs for Kirton came and went.  At one point I said 'some vandals have turned that sign round the wrong way' when I saw one pointing backwards.  Then there were no more signs.  'How far is it to the control?' and 'This is a long 90km', I said.  But still we rode on, enjoying what was, for me, new countryside, chatting away and enjoying a pleasant ride.  Eventually, just before 6:15pm, it became clear that he hadn't realised there was a control at Kirton and we were almost at Goole! 

My heart sank.  What to do: Just ride on and not bother about validation?  Plead with Tomsk that I'd done the route just not got the receipt?  No - I decided I'd do it properly and ride back.  I thought it might be an hour.  It was an hour and a half.  I waved to all the riders going the right way.  The first few I knew: Chris Herbert - riding well after having a nasty shoulder injury a few weeks ago - Flatlander, CET, Chris Philips....  Then loads of others - probably most of the people I'd passed on the first leg to Red Lodge!

I made it Kirton Lindsay at 7:45, as dusk was falling.  It turned out  we'd actually missed the town out on the way out, so it was good to see it.  While eating a sandwich, I was grateful to a couple of riders who kindly indulged me by listening to my story.

I set off back for Goole, now properly in the dark.  at 9:30pm I passed the point where I'd been at 6:15 - and was pleased to be, once again, moving forward - but was now seeing the stream of riders passing me in the other direction once more - this time only as lights in the dark.

Next, my phone batteries started to fade again.  My phone has become quite picky about which wires it will charge from.  I had three battery packs, but only one wire, from which it took charge just a few weeks ago, but it was not having it.  I was down to 20% battery, and thought I'd have to buy elastic bands at Goole to strap the route sheet to my arm.  However I gave the Garmin another try and, with the now clear sky, it picked up satellites again, and I was back in business.  Navigationally at least - there was still a bit of riding to be done!

It was a cold night.  My gear wasn't warm enough to sleep out and I was still fresh when I got to Sleaford (and visited the McDonalds, where I saw the guys bedding down on the benches).  An hour after Sleaford, though, I started to get sleepy, and started to look for a spot.  It was now 5:30am and I reckoned that, if I stopped for an hour or so, the sun would be up when I woke and it would be starting to get warmer, so I would  be ok.  That worked well (although the benchless bus shelters of Lincolnshire are not up to the standard of ones in Croatia, Macedonia and Greece that I have slept in recently!).

I enjoyed the fens on the way back, with hardly any wind.  The stretch back from Chatteris was a highlight as I recalled it from my first 200 - the Flitchbikes in 2010.

The road surfaces either side of Cambridge were awful!  On the way out of the City I helped rescue a woman who had come off her bike when some gladioli she was carrying in her basket fell out and went into her front wheel!

The last hilly bit was good fun and I enjoyed attacking the climbs, before getting back to Dunmow just after 2pm.

« Reply #151 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:08:22 am »
Thanks Frank for reminding me of something. This is the first audax where I had to do a route sheet following ride on the way down south cos the GPX file for the south part failed to load properly. A bit slower to navigate but I am impressed but how much of it I could follow! i am so happy that for once I printed out the route sheet :)

Couple of other things
1) a shower and a complete change of clothes for 2nd day made a lot of difference for me.
2) 5 hours sleep in a comfy bed
3) PROPER food is always the best thing for you. I always felt speediest after a good slap up meal.
4) Every hotel was fully booked so no chance of chancing a room
5) The stars and the moon out of Goole when the fucking rain and clouds finally cleared were a joy to look when you had a moment to look upwards.
6) Double padded pair of bibs = No arse boils or pain today!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #152 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:10:32 am »
... On the way out of the City I helped rescue a woman who had come off her bike when some gladioli she was carrying in her basket fell out and went into her front wheel! ...

I shouldn't have laughed but I did.  Poor woman.

Well done to all you Flatlanders  :thumbsup:

« Reply #153 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:17:59 am »
Ok, so we don't publish times, but the course record has had 50 minutes taken off it today! :o It was a solo rider [and a fixie too  :thumbsup:]: last year four riders worked well together for the fastest time.

Sounds like that was a good ride - what time did he get back?

I'm also claiming a course record, at 670km. ^^^  Oh, does it not work like that...?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #154 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:33:14 am »
Ok, so we don't publish times, but the course record has had 50 minutes taken off it today! :o It was a solo rider [and a fixie too  :thumbsup:]: last year four riders worked well together for the fastest time.

Sounds like that was a good ride - what time did he get back?

I'm also claiming a course record, at 670km. ^^^  Oh, does it not work like that...?

Mate, I think you deserve a medal of some sort  ;D

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #155 on: 12 September, 2016, 11:03:27 am »
Thanks Tomsk, ACME crew and other helpers. Great company Chris for almost all of it and others, notably  Alan and Marlan. (Happy Birthday Marlan's daughter and hope dad's wheel is better by Wednesday)
Summary:
Mother nature waters the veg for 10 hours - lovely
Image of the ride - cabbage rows disappearing far away due to curvature of the earth
Thoughts - Sea to land over a thousand years - what a project. Enough head breeze to make us understand how this ride could be.
Sights: Steam traction engines, and their descendant monstrous land machines, classic cars and ice cream at the fair, TG's elbows out over his second 'spoons big breakfast- go man go, Spitfire dogfight over battle of Britain airfield, red jets drawing heart with arrow piercing.
Sounds: Roar of the RR Merlins , cheer of the village hall kids at magic show.
Smells: Onion fields, candy floss, bacon, probably me.

EDIT. Oh yeah, and hilarious Lincoln night life in the early hours. Stilt-walking girls and weaving boys giggling, shouting, singing and generally having a good time - memories of the Arrow.

Platinum medal for broken crank guy. The ride of the weekend whether he made it or not. Saw the mess at Kirton, he passed us with the damage overnight while we had a good kip. We re-passed him near Chittenden. Apparently powered largely by one leg and the other with a gaffer tape lash-up. Anyone know what happened to him?

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #156 on: 12 September, 2016, 11:21:13 am »
I'm really enjoying everyone's write-ups.  It was great to ride down to Gt Dunmow last night and see riders returning as well and get to hear some of the stories first-hand — well done to everyone who finished  :thumbsup:

And congratulations to Roger on his hard-earned Ultra SR!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The road surfaces either side of Cambridge were awful!  On the way out of the City I helped rescue a woman who had come off her bike when some gladioli she was carrying in her basket fell out and went into her front wheel!

The route through Cambridge was wearisome, the road through Girton had pretty much the most shameful tarmac surface I've seen (the gravel sections on the Old Roads and Drove Roads were smoother) and other sections were busy with tourists looking at the sights and not where they were going, or busy with traffic.

Interesting comments on the road surface through my home village of Girton — I've never noticed it and was going to defend the village's honour, but Mrs W's just set me straight!  Yikes!  I'll have to look more closely when I head into town next time ... Trumpington Road after the city centre is far worse, though ... isn't it?  </village pride>

I also sniggered at the gladioli incident — shame on me!  :-[

UPDATE:

We spotted Flatlander/Chris/Mick? in Cambridge, and he towed us out (can't they resurface the cycle lanes there?).

Now that's DEFINITELY Trumpington  :thumbsup: ... IGMC  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #157 on: 12 September, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »
It all began being caffeine free on Friday, yawning a lot, then going to bed by 7:45pm, and trying to sleep. Nodded off near 10, awake just after 11 (alarm set for 11:30). Got up, entered the ECE while having four Belvita biscuits and two black coffees. Set off 12:15, uneventful ride (expected some rain), arriving by 5:15 for toast and biccies. Chatted to Raymond amongst others, while gazing over at the ACME jersey (I was gonna try one on, but forgot).

Set off a few minutes behind Raymond, and took about 40 mins to catch him. enjoyed gazing at the scenery until the rain started. Didn't eat at Red Lodge (taste buds were saying "spoons veggie brekky"). Chatted with a fixie guy on way in to Whittlesey (TG passed us just after we had been talking about him, and if he was on the ride)and forgot to turn right for spoons. Saw TG again at a shop. Chatted, then I doubled back to spoons. Sat with Raymond and Mel there, trying to dry off a bit. By now I was fed up with the weather, wishing I'd done a local morning club ride instead (sorry Tomsk).Did most of the rest of the ride with Mel. When he gets on the front and on the tribars, I can't get low enough to take advantage, and his cruds weren't stopping the rain (I have the mark2 add-ons somewhere). Not sure how effective my washing liquid flaps were (I have trimmed them to be more aero). Enjoyed apple crumble with custard and a pint at the 2nd spoons. I don't recall much tailwind heading to Goole, just head. Cheered up when the rain stopped (around 7:45?). We did the Spa shop stop at K-I-L. I fancied chips (although they need time to settle with me, and I was at my hard to chew food stage). Someone offered me chips, and I was surprised I could eat and swallow ok. It was the usual demoralising bit heading to Goole and watching southbound lights heading towards me. Went in McD for a change. Had a choccy doughnut instead of chips. Fancied a kip, but there were no heads on tables at that time. Was surprised to see Bikey Mikey still there, getting dressed for the Arctic.

Started scanning for suitable bus shelters on the return. found one at 4am. slept for 30 mins. Thought Mel was asleep, so tried to sleep again, but I was now cold. It was freezing going downhill from there. Hotchoc stop at a garage, then again at the Jet control one (bloke abandoning there called his brother near the start to collect him). Disappointed to be n Sleaford at 7am (last year I'd made Whittlesey). Arduous journey to Whittlesey spoons, not made easy by the festival/carnival/fair there. Veggie brekky, lights recharge, and another attempt to sudacrem my sores away (I won't tell you where it hurts, but the action of cycling really doesn't help). Short stop in Chatteris for drinks, then the long last stage through Cambridge. the busway was heaven to my wrists, elbows and legs after all the bumpy roads (even the buzz from topdressed roads hurts me). We spotted Flatlander/Chris/Mick? in Cambridge, and he towed us out (can't they resurface the cycle lanes there?). Stopped to change Etrex batteries and lost my companions. Caught Mel after a while, and made the Harp pub at 5, 3-3 1/2 hours later than usual. Enjoyed my pint, sweet potato chips and chat.

Left at 6 to post the card at Tom's, then retraced the last 9-10 miles before heading west. Home around 11:20, after 826km. In bath not long after, waking up in tepid bath around 1:15. Poured the beer my wife had put in the fridge for me, found some crisps, then settled down on the sofa to watch the last three Vuelta highlights, falling asleep during the 2nd one, and awaking around 7:30 with super stiff legs.

I'd like to say I enjoyed it, but the wind, rain, and roads (even the patched up bits are getting worse), really got to me, as did the monotonous pedalling (I do actually get bored pedalling on some audaxes).

Was sorry not to see Tom at the pub, and I hope his son mends quick and isn't put off!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #158 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:22:07 pm »
I forgot the cobbles in Lincoln!!  :o Man those descents were STEEP! Good job it wasn't raining!

« Reply #159 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:42:18 pm »
I forgot the cobbles in Lincoln!!  :o Man those descents were STEEP! Good job it wasn't raining!
I went down the smooth bit by the kerb, going over the drains (we don't teach that in Bikeability). I think I hit an uneven bit (not the kerb), wobbled onto the cobbles, but remained upright.

« Reply #160 on: 12 September, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »

Interesting comments on the road surface through my home village of Girton — I've never noticed it and was going to defend the village's honour, but Mrs W's just set me straight!  Yikes!  I'll have to look more closely when I head into town next time ... Trumpington Road after the city centre is far worse, though ... isn't it?  </village pride>

It probably is.  I know that bit reasonably well but had not ridden it for maybe three years and it has got a lot worse in that time. 

I'd not ridden through Girton before (I'd never been to Girton village before despite having studied at Cambridge and spent a year living in a house on Huntingdon Road - but students don't explore very much!).  When I passed, the busway was closed so I went via a back way (NCN 24?), which was nice and quiet, but had a bad surface for about 4 miles.  It was either that or the A14 - which is very smooth tarmac but not to my taste so late in the day!

« Reply #161 on: 12 September, 2016, 07:29:40 pm »
Interesting comments on the road surface through my home village of Girton — I've never noticed it and was going to defend the village's honour, but Mrs W's just set me straight!

Just over 20 years ago I did a two week long stint as acting head chef of the Travellers Rest Beefeater in Girton.

Didn't cycle there though. A14, no thanks.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #162 on: 12 September, 2016, 07:33:56 pm »

It probably is.  I know that bit reasonably well but had not ridden it for maybe three years and it has got a lot worse in that time.  I'd not ridden through Girton before (I'd never been to Girton village before despite having studied at Cambridge and spent a year living in a house on Huntingdon Road - but students don't explore very much!).  When I passed, the busway was closed so I went via a back way (NCN 24?), which was nice and quiet, but had a bad surface for about 4 miles.  It was either that or the A14 - which is very smooth tarmac but not to my taste so late in the day!

I rode it this afternoon and I think I'm so used to picking a smooth line that I don't notice it any more — having ridden distances on little wheels, I've become very used to picking smooth lines.  I also think that after 550km of bouncing on your hands and a*$e then you become especially sensitive.

I've never heard of the busway being closed, not that section, and the alternative uses a limited-access road between Oakington and Longstanton which is definitely under-maintained. 

And I would never, ever, ever ride a bike on the A14, ESPECIALLY not that bit!!
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #163 on: 12 September, 2016, 09:46:01 pm »
The Newmarket bypass section of the A14 is often used on time trials, but the rules are that the last rider should be off by 9:30 on a Sunday morning as the traffic builds up - so I went with that as it was about 11 by the time I got there.

However, at least one rider went on the A14 and lived to tell the tale.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #164 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:26:09 pm »
I had a day when lots went wrong which led to me doing an extra 70km over distance, but enough went right for it to work out. 

I then committed the cardinal sin of audax navigation - relying on someone else for navigation - and said, 'I'll just follow you to the next control' - which I was expecting to be about 10 minutes, based on our time and quick tailwind-assisted speed - 'and I'll sort out my phone there'.  Signs for Kirton came and went.  At one point I said 'some vandals have turned that sign round the wrong way' when I saw one pointing backwards.  Then there were no more signs.  'How far is it to the control?' and 'This is a long 90km', I said.  But still we rode on, enjoying what was, for me, new countryside, chatting away and enjoying a pleasant ride.  Eventually, just before 6:15pm, it became clear that he hadn't realised there was a control at Kirton and we were almost at Goole! 

My heart sank.  What to do: Just ride on and not bother about validation?  Plead with Tomsk that I'd done the route just not got the receipt?  No - I decided I'd do it properly and ride back.  I thought it might be an hour.  It was an hour and a half.  I waved to all the riders going the right way.  The first few I knew: Chris Herbert - riding well after having a nasty shoulder injury a few weeks ago - Flatlander, CET, Chris Philips....  Then loads of others - probably most of the people I'd passed on the first leg to Red Lodge!

The last hilly bit was good fun and I enjoyed attacking the climbs, before getting back to Dunmow just after 2pm.

I did wonder when I saw you riding back towards Kirton, that was an impressive overshoot.  You still made Dunmow before me, but I'd had the foresight (as it turned out with the cold night after the rain) to book a room at Sleaford Travelodge.   :smug: 
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #165 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:16:02 am »

I enjoyed the fens on the way back, with hardly any wind.  The stretch back from Chatteris was a highlight as I recalled it from my first 200 - the Flitchbikes in 2010.

This is why I need to learn to ride faster, or just not stop. Fens at night with no wind.... a lovely fantasy in Flatlands terms!

Lee Killestein

« Reply #166 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:41:45 am »
I made it Kirton Lindsay at 7:45, as dusk was falling.  It turned out  we'd actually missed the town out on the way out, so it was good to see it.  While eating a sandwich, I was grateful to a couple of riders who kindly indulged me by listening to my story.

A pleasure to have met you in Kirton in Lindsey. When we rode on to Goole I kept thinking 'jesus, that guy has had to ride this twice!!' But then to read that you went on to finish by 2pm? I finished with an hour to spare and felt I'd done well! Damn you Premier Inn!  :P

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #167 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:59:34 am »
Forget about times... anybody putting in a claim for the most Wetherspoons feeds?  ;D

You'll have to do well to beat Huggy otp. We ought to have a special ACME medal.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #168 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:06:24 am »
Forget about times... anybody putting in a claim for the most Wetherspoons feeds?  ;D

Just Whittlesey, Boston and Sleaford for me this time around.  Poor showing.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #169 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:28:34 am »
A pleasure to have met you in Kirton in Lindsey. When we rode on to Goole I kept thinking 'jesus, that guy has had to ride this twice!!' But then to read that you went on to finish by 2pm? I finished with an hour to spare and felt I'd done well! Damn you Premier Inn!  :P

You had done well, you'd got round a 600 and paced it just right! 
I felt very envious of you guys heading off to your hotel at Goole.  I expect you slept better than me, as I ended up on the floor of a benchless bus shelter which was covered with leaves, and a few birds' feathers which had a beetle crawling around them :-( 
When I saw that, I almost rode on, but I was just tired enough to stop.

« Reply #170 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:55:33 am »
Whittlesey veggie brekky with unlimited coffee, Boston crumble and custard with a pint, Whittlsey brekky and coffee again. So no, only three. Didn't fancy hanging around at Sleaford an hour waiting for it to open. If I do it again next year and don't ece it, I'll have a longer sleep before Sleaford.

What's the record?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #171 on: 13 September, 2016, 04:42:36 pm »
Caution: ramblings of roughly the length of "War and Peace" follow!

TL;DR summary

That was ... err.... epic.  Proper Type-II fun (at least one person at Goole had it down as Type-III).

I messed up my feeding and was rescued by Staffordshire oatcakes and cheese.

I had around eight hours off the bike, plenty of rest, but no sleep.

The ride starts: up at Audax o'clock for a ride to Dunmow

I decided to ride to the start on the morning, rather than the night before, on the grounds that I'd probably sleep better at home rather than on the floor of the hall.  As it turned out, I only got around 2 hours good sleep anyway which wasn't the ideal start to the ride.  I wish I'd thought to reduce or cut out my coffee intake on Friday.  :facepalm:

I left the house at 04:30, getting to Dunmow (17 miles away) around 5:45.  A few of us (the ACME group) stayed behind to help Tomsk with the cleanup operation, and were finally on the road around 06:20 (or 06:25...).

Red Lodge (stopped time: 53 mins)

The rain kicked in somewhere towards Red Lodge, and was in full flow by the time we got there (but had come in in that stealthy manner which means it never feels quite the right moment to stop and put on waterproofs). We arrived to find wilkyboy sheltering under the canopy outside RL and got our cards stamped.  I was undecided whether to eat there or bounce and push on to Whittlesey.  In the end I plumped for a (standard) breakfast, but because of the tail end of the bulge, it took a long time arriving (mine was the last to arrive, sometime after the rest of the ACME riders had finished theirs).  At one point,  the rain looked to be diminishing, but it was a false hope.

We set off around 9:40, donning waterproofs/gilets against the rain (I opted for a gilet at this point).  We rode together until Warboys where traffic caused me to be gapped from the group (a car driver overtook then immediately had to stop behind a parked car to allow oncoming traffic through).

I could see them ahead and was working to catch up (one of the few sections where the tailwind really felt helpful) when I noticed a strange road noise.  I was thinking to myself that every time the road surface changes to that rougher tarmac, it sounds like I have a puncture.  It took a couple of minutes before I realised that I actually did have a puncture.  This was 0.75 miles form Whittlesey, where the picnic bench, bike racks and rowboat are.  I stopped there, swapped the gilet for a waterproof and started to fix the puncture (a whopper of a sharp flint).

Puncture stop (stopped time: 26 mins)
As I pumped the tyre back up in the rain, I could hear a hiss, and at first thought that one of the seals on my pump (brand new Road Morph) was dodgy.  A bit more investigation revealed that it was the spare tube I'd put in -- the previous repair patch was leaking.  Tube out, fresh tube in, old tube into the bin and onwards to Whittlesey.

This left me with one spare tube -- the psychological effect of that (going from thinking I had three, down to just one) coupled with the fact that I didn't believe I could get my hands to dry out enough to successfully patch a tube with the puncture repair kit I had on board made me a bit uneasy.

I decided I must be Lanterne Rouge by now, and started to entertain thoughts of packing, but decided to press on for the present, there still being time to consider options.

Whittlesey (stopped time: 39 min)

I went to the George, to get coffee and dry out a bit.  HK and the other trike were just leaving as I got there.  I didn't feel hungry, so decided to wait until Spalding or Boston for food.

On the way to Boston, not too far after Spalding hunger did finally start to kick in, and I started looking for somewhere to eat.  Since I was so wet, I was quite tempted by the Mermaid Inn at Surfleet, but in the end went to a chip shop there (The Cod Squad).  Curry and chips; a Fanta and a bottle refill later, I was girding my loins to set off when I saw another rider go past.  It was somewhat cheering to know I wasn't the last one out there after all (even if this actually meant that now I was!), and so I headed onwards.

I caught up with him sometime later:  a really nice chap called Joseph from Leicestershire who it turns out had also had puncture problems (and an issue with his rim tape).  We ended up riding the rest of the way to Goole together.  I think the company came at just the right time for me to just about banish thoughts of giving up.

Boston (stopped time: 34 mins)
We got to Boston about 20 to 5, and controlled at the Moon Under Water.  I had already eaten at the chippy, so plumped for coffee and a beer (I chose an Elgood's "Indian Summer" for the irony factor).  Joseph had the Chicken curry which they had on special offer.  By the time I had returned from the bar and loo,  it had already arrived - super speedy service!.

My companion had already quizzed the locals for a source of inner tubes, so we detoured a little way to Halfords.  I bought a couple of Halfords Essentials inner tubes which eased my concerns about puncturing again.

Control and inner tube stops complete, we set off into the rain towards Kirton in Lindsey.

Joseph, it turns out, has an interest in aviation, and it was along this leg, I think, thatwe spied an airfield/visitor centre to the left with a Lightning jet displayed outside.

Kirton in Lindsey (stopped time: 13 mins)

We got to Kirton in Lindsey at almost exactly 10pm, just as the Spar shop was due to close.  The chap there was very helpful, and was wondering if there were any more riders coming through (we thought it likely not since we were fairly confident we were the back markers).  A coffee, and a water bottle top up (and I think I might have had some food, but I don't remember what).

We pressed on towards Goole.  My plan was to have a longer rest at Goole in the (relative) warmth of the McDonalds whilst Joseph had brought sleeping gear and was going to press on and sleep in an Audax hotel somewhere.  On the leg into Goole we started seeing riders coming in the other direction, Strava flyby suggests that the first one of these might have been bikeymikey.

A few miles out From Goole, I lost Joseph (I think he might have had a hedge stop then not caught up again), and passed another couple of riders (one was, I believe, riding a pompino).

Goole (stopped time: 1 hour 49 mins)

I arrived at McDonalds around 00:30, just as the ACME peloton (including carlosfandango, AndyC33 and special guest star The Straggler) were preparing to leave.  I settled down with a latte and a quarter pounder and rested, watching the world go by.  Joseph arrived perhaps 10 minutes later.

I had at least another latte if not two, whilst Joseph pressed on to find a place to grab some sleep.

I stayed until about 02:15 in the end, steeling myself for the next stage.  I didn't feel particularly dozy (or hungry, but with hindsight, given how well the quarter pounder went down, maybe I should have had a second one or some fries).

There were a few groups of customers through during that time:  two separate Police patrols, both in for coffees, and a group of young lads who were very interested in what we were doing.  By this point, there were about four of us still holed up in McD's:  Myself, the chap from Liverpool (dozing in a booth), another rider asleep along a bench and the rider of the other trike.

I finally persuaded myself to leave and headed out onto the road with about two hours in hand by my reckoning (or ~1.5 if you discounted the 20+ minutes clearing up time at the start).  I figured that if I kept up as I'd been going, I should be able to take an hour's catnap somewhere if the dozies kicked in and still not be pressed for time.

From Goole to Gainsborough, I sighted a number of sleeping shapes in bus shelters and the like.  I got to the Jet garage at Gainsborough at 10 to 5.

Gainsborough (stopped time: 39 mins)

There was one rider already in the garage when I got there, asleep on the floor in front of the counter.  I found out later on that he had decided to pack with a fever and his brother arrived with a van to take him and bike home while I was still there.

The guy behind the till there was very helpful and ushered me inside out of the cold and offered me a seat on the stacks of beer boxes in the shop (I stood anyway - my rear was glad of the rest!).  Another couple of riders came through and I set off either with them or just behind.

On the way out of Gainsborough, my fixed-gear climbing legs took one look at Foxby hill and said "Nope!".  I walked up the hill, and once at the top, resumed my rhythm and was going well on approach to Lincoln, and as I got closer to Lincoln, saw a few getting up and packing away their stuff, including bobb (I'm guessing with AndyC33).

The climb up Tillbridge road (A1500) before the right turn to Burton did take it out of me a bit (I passed a couple of riders on here).

(non-control stop) Lincoln (stopped time: 36 minutes)

By the time I hit the outskirts of Lincoln, it was beginning to warm up a little, and I felt in need of a clothing adjustment and a coffee, so I stopped at the Shell Garage.  About 15 minutes later, the ACME peloton (bobb, AndyC33, The straggler and others) arrived.

We hit the road around 7:30.  The wrong road (sort of).  That's to say it was the road leadign ot the "touristy" cobbled descent through Lincoln, rather than the alternative.  I'd done the cobbled bit the last time and swore to myself that this time around, I'd take the other route.  Work, however, had impinged on my preparation time and so I just followed the GPX track I'd downloaded from wilkyboy's site without checking where it went through Lincoln.

We negotiated the cobbles together, but when Canwick hill raised its ugly head, I once again employed the 24" gear.  I almost caught back up with the group before Ruskington, but then had a sudden blow-up.  My energy levels dipped (I think I was not more than about 3 miles from Sleaford when that happened).  I rested up a bit and pushed on the last miles, taking mini-breathers every now and then.

Sleaford (stopped time: 1 hour 27 mins)

I arrived at the Pack Horse, Sleaford, at 09:25, absolutely wrecked.  I found the ACME peloton (sans carlosfandango) all tucking into their breakfasts, and despite being a Wetherspoon's breakfast fan, I didn't fancy one.  I did know that I had been struggling though, so I ordered a bacon roll and a pint of orange juice and lemonade and started half-heartedly eating it.  The ACME group left, and I carried on munching, feeling seriously fatigued and wondering if I'd finish in time.

During this time carlosfandango had arrived along with (I think) Jack.

I started packing up my stuff and preparing to leave when I was hit by a sudden bout of light-headedness and blurry vision.  I decided that this (and the issue on the last few miles into Sleaford) probably constituted an energy crash/bonk, and that I might feel better if I got some quick calories into me.  I broke out the emergency rations, and ate half a bag of wine gums.  Around 10 minutes later I was feeling much better, and started to put together a plan for the rest of the ride.

The Staffordshire Oatcake Plan

My mental arithmetic told me it was about 110 miles to Dunmow from here, with Spalding, Chatteris and Cambridge en-route.  Also in my emergency rations were four Staffordshire oatcakes, with cheese grilled on them and rolled up.  These make excellent saddlebag/jersey pocket food, especially when you're craving a savoury hit, being virtually uncrushable, containing a good mix of fat, complex carbs and salt, and just the right size to eat on the move.

The plan was simple - take things ten miles at a time. Every ten miles or so, find somewhere to sit for 5 minutes and either eat half an oatcake and a handful of wine gums or, if at a Spalding or Chatteris, get something in a shop.

I double checked the plan a couple of times, counted my wine gums, and convinced myself that the ration plan would work (also, as a fall back in case my mental state was that of a knackered, sleep-deprived audaxer after 28.5 hours with no sleep, there were now ample opportunities to buy other stuff if necessary).

I set off at 10:53, so with only 7 minutes or so in hand (not counting any extra for the initial clearing up time).  carlos (and Jack?) were still in the 'spoons along with a couple of other folks.

As I rode out of Sleaford, I began to feel better and stronger again.  I decided to stick to the plan, though since I didn't want to risk running out of energy.  Also, I know how sapping the Fenlands could be with a headwind such as we had.

The first ten miles got me halfway or so to Spalding.  The next ten got me to a familiar garage in Spalding (2L of water for bottle top-ups plus a Cadbury's Flake Cornetto as the day had turned out gloriously warm now).

The next ten got me to the middle of nowhere between Crowland and Thorney.  It was during this micro-rest that Jack came on by.  he reported that carlos was still somewhere behind and struggling a bit.  I explained my own situation/plan etc. and he suggested riding together.

We walked through the closed roads in Whittlesey rather than riding round them, enjoying the rest and classic cars on display.  As we got through the closed section, just afer we'd started riding again, there was a spectacular flypast by a Lancaster Bomber.  My next scheduled micro-break wasn't quite due yet, so we pressed on, eventually finding somewhere between Whittlesey and Benwick for a breather and my appointed rations.

Chatteris (stopped time: 37 minutes)

The next ten mile stint took us to Chatteris where we arrived at 16:20.  Our original plan, based on being short of time, was to control at the garage quickly.  However, when we got to the Green Welly roundabout, we saw that the garage there was shut down and, not knowing whether there was anything further on (there was, including a garage) we went back to the Welly.

Jack plumped for the Cherry Pie and Custard, whilst I had a Strawberry Cornetto and a Fanta.  carlos also arrived at the Welly a little later.  We left just before 17:00, again just on the time limit, leaving carlos to his ice cream.

A little way out of Chatteris, we had a short stop, probably hedge-related.  During this, carlos turned up and we rode the rest as an ACME grupetto of three.

I could feel my legs coming back to life, and decided to try to pull back some time on the last 50 miles.  The thought of ay climbing filled my legs with dread, however, so I persuaded the other two to go with my choice of the "slightly longer, flatter, quieter" route back from Cambridge.

We settled into a rhythm, and, since I was feeling stronger again suggested that we could essentially do the remainder of the ride in quarters (13 mile stints) again proposing micro-breaks in between (i.e. 5-10 minutes off the bike).  This seemed to be agreeable to all so off we went.  carlos was also feeling strong again after his post Sleaford dip.

The first stop was halfway to Cambridge, in the shade of a (closed?) pub in Willingham; the next took us just past Cambridge to Great Shelford.  By now it was clear that, barring problems, we were going to finish in time. ;D :thumbsup:

The next quarter took us to near Audley End, and up to this point I was feeling that the alternative route was working quite nicely.  The B1383 had nice gentle slopes and good surfaces.  Beyond about Newport, that changed.  The lanes over to Henham, Plegdon green etc. were not so pleasant.  The last five or six miles seemed to last for ever.  I don't thin carlos was best impressed with my route choice ;D.

During this stretch, we caught up with Joseph, and after a quick chat, I went back into "hammer down" mode:  sensing the pub and seriously craving the finish beer by now.

At 21:25, we rolled up to the Angel and Harp and were pleased to see Tomsk, wilkyboy and a crowd of successful Flatlanders enjoying a breather at the end.

I was very surprised not to be Lanterne Rouge on this after my earlier issues.

Many thanks to Tomsk for another memorable ride, and to wilkyboy for standing in the rain at Red Lodge to mark people's cards.

Congratulations to all the successful riders and especially to Fidgetbuzz on his 10th SR series!

Epilogue: Doing a Del ;)

Whilst sat in the warmth of the Angel and Harp, enjoying a pint of Ghost Ship and wearing all my layers trying to stave off the shivers.  I appear to have fallen fast asleep on a bar stool.  Well, "on a bar stool", describes where I fell asleep.  The most accurate description of where I woke up would be "on the floor surrounded by concerned folks".

I think it was a combination of the sleep deprivation (If you can remember as far back as the start of this write up, I only got 2 hours sleep on Friday night, then foolishly decided to ride through without a catnap) and the energy dip from the final couple of hours push to the line.

Tomsk, the bar staff and other riders looked afer me very well and after a lemonade, a few glasses of water and a half a bag of sweets (which the lady behind the bar wouldn't let me pay for) later and I was feeling much better (although not very awake, it has to be said!).

Thankfully, carlosfandango was driving home and had space for me plus bike, so I didn't need to ride to Witham.

I gather from Tomsk that the technical term for what happened to be is "doing a Del" after delthebike's similar experience at Goole McDonalds on a previous Flatlands.

Epilogue 2: Comparison with the Revenge of the Flatlands

I'll take this weekend's weather over strong SW wind on the return. Christophe and Oaky had the worst Revenge of the Flatlands on the original edition's helpers' ride in 2013.

With the conditions as they were on this year's ride, on the way back from Goole, two separate folks told me they found The Flatlands harder than the BCM!

I can't decide now if the 2013 Revenge of the Flatlands was worse or better.  When I finished this year (in fact already by the time I got to Sleaford) I thought this year was harder, but looking back, I think that the way it felt to me is a balance of three factors and therefore hard to compare:  my fitness at the time (much better in 2013);  the rain and subsequent overnight chill in 2016; and riding through with no sleep this time around.

I was about 30 mins quicker in 2013, and had perhaps an hour's sleep in a bus shelter in Misterton.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #172 on: 13 September, 2016, 04:59:56 pm »
Enjoyed reading your write up.. reminded me of the ride .. just when i was trying to forget it !!
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #173 on: 13 September, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »
Love the term"doing a Del". I feel your pain - utter hopeless inability to stay upright - in fact which way is up?

« Reply #174 on: 13 September, 2016, 05:40:59 pm »
Loved that Doing a Del write up!  ;D