Author Topic: Fatbike tyre q?  (Read 38056 times)

Re: Fatbike tyre q?
« Reply #25 on: 29 September, 2014, 11:35:30 am »
Just popped into halfords and sat on a 61cm tt. 60 will be fine :thumbsup:

Back on track!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #26 on: 29 September, 2014, 11:38:52 am »
:thumbsup:

« Reply #27 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:04:36 pm »
 :thumbsup: indeed
Paid for, so I've had my xmas pressies a little early.

My wife said it can't be opened until dec. 25th. Yeah, right....... ;D
I'll just leave the box in the hallway, she'll soon let me open it!

Just got to arrange a couple of days off ill next week now.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

« Reply #28 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:18:09 pm »
The one that there's a picture of upthread?

I'm sure that you'll enjoy it

« Reply #29 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »
That's the one.

Thanks for the advice chaps :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #30 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:23:53 pm »
That's the one.

Thanks for the advice chaps :thumbsup:

No problem. Only other thing you need to know (and I may be in danger of teaching you to suck eggs) is not to set the tyre pressure too high. I'm 11 stone and run at about 10-11psi

« Reply #31 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »
I was going to try 10 rear and front and maybe go to 7-8 on the front if it'll take it :thumbsup:

Any tips are welcome, these are different beasts to a road bikes and even my 29er.

Still got no email from the fatbike forum!

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #32 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:35:51 pm »
^^ That

Get the tyre pressure too low for the prevailing conditions and you'll get seasick pretty quickly. Trust me on this.

That said, you'll soon find out what works best for you - the only time I've had to resort to single-figure pressures is when riding on ice. Since I weigh 19 stone I'm generally in the mid to upper teens, again depending on the terrain I'm riding on. For road or hardpack use, I shoot for around 30psi - it works but the Pugsley's tyres are a bit buzzy.

Don't ride Nates on hardpack either - occasional bits of path/gravel/whatever are OK, but make a habit of it and you'll destroy the tread pretty quickly.

Also, invest in a decent frame pump if you don't already have one - I bought a Topeak Mountain Morph for dedicated phat use; it still takes a while to pump up a flat tyre, but not nearly as long as it would take with my off-road pump of choice (Lezyne Alloy Drive)

« Reply #33 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:42:21 pm »
The nates will be use on sand sections, mud, mud a bit more mud and a road section between woods I use.

What tyres for tarmac and Landrover tracks? These are my main bikepacking surfaces.

I've got a road morph :thumbsup:

Has anyone tried a co2 cannister, will it get a tyre near to 8-10psi before I start to use the pump?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #34 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:50:02 pm »
The nates will be use on sand sections, mud, mud a bit more mud and a road section between woods I use.

What tyres for tarmac and Landrover tracks? These are my main bikepacking surfaces.
Knards.

Has anyone tried a co2 cannister, will it get a tyre near to 8-10psi before I start to use the pump?
Yes and 'hahahahahaha you must be bloody joking', respectively.
Unless your CO2 canisters are freakishly big, save 'em for more normal sized tyres.

« Reply #35 on: 29 September, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »
Knards :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll be sweating a little if I flat ;D

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #36 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:06:37 pm »
Vee rubber vee mission might be another possibility, and cheaper  :thumbsup: or On-One B.S.C. Type 1

Btw. I find Surly Black floyd are freakingly scary to ride on, they nearly kills me every time I try to turn. :hand:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #37 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:29:12 pm »
Vee rubber vee mission might be another possibility, and cheaper  :thumbsup: or On-One B.S.C. Type 1
My take on the 29er version of the On-One slick is here: http://36x17.org.uk/wp/?p=443 - tl;dr: I like 'em.

The Phat Version[tm] is on the post-injury shopping list.

« Reply #38 on: 29 September, 2014, 01:51:03 pm »
They are a good price. Looks like I've got my summer tyres sorted :thumbsup:

Was expecting to pay £60 plus per tyre, these are a nice surprise.

« Reply #39 on: 29 September, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »
At some time in the future I'll go tubeless but for now I'll be running tubes. What options for tubes do I have? 

Surly are £10-£11. Can I use 3" dh tubes or are there better options?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #40 on: 29 September, 2014, 05:39:37 pm »
At some time in the future I'll go tubeless but for now I'll be running tubes. What options for tubes do I have? 

Surly are £10-£11. Can I use 3" dh tubes or are there better options?
Unless you're in serious weight weenie mode (in which case why didn't you buy a Beargrease? ;) ) then stick with the Surly Toobs. Although they're heavy and not particularly cheap they are pretty robust. Some folks have had a certain degree of success using Maxxis DH tubes or the Bontrager 2.5-2.8 tubes. YMMV, although I imagine that you may be more prone to flats.

I notice that On-One are selling 24" fat tubes but I couldn't find any 26" ones. May be worth keeping an eye out, though.

I think a couple of the Surly guys are running Rolling Darryl rims tubeless, so whilst it's not 'officially' possible it's certainly doable.

ETA: bear in mind also that the rims will probably be drilled for Presta valves. Mine certainly were.
ETA2: This: http://fat-bike.com/2012/03/lighter-fat-bike-tube-alternatives/

« Reply #41 on: 29 September, 2014, 05:45:57 pm »
I'll get a couple of toobs from Tim at sideways. I can't see any 26 tubes on on-ones site either, wonder what they're using on the fattys ???

The pic of the bike shows presta too :thumbsup:

PaulF

« Reply #42 on: 29 September, 2014, 06:16:48 pm »
I've got some Specialized 3" tubes ready for the next visitation, actually might have one in the front at the moment...

« Reply #43 on: 29 September, 2014, 06:24:46 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Think I'll get a couple of surlys, for heavy duty bikepacking over some rocky stuff. I'll also get a couple of the specialized 3" for carrying in my frame bag or camelbak on day rides, they'll be enough to get me home if I need them.

No doubt I'll be back later when I've thought of something else ;D

« Reply #44 on: 29 September, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »

« Reply #45 on: 30 September, 2014, 12:40:05 pm »
Ooooohhhhhhh!

It's been posted 8)

« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2014, 01:50:04 pm »
Any opinions on the Surly Larry tyres?

They look okay for trails and tarmac. Super soft and wear quickly or hard compound?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2014, 02:49:37 pm »
Good on the front, lousy on the rear - has a tendency to self-steer if you're not careful, particularly at very low pressures.

Larry (f) and Endomorph (r) was a fairly stock combo until relatively recently (ie. until the Endomorph was discontinued). Nowadays most folks seem to run Nate f+r for the mucky stuff or Knard f+r for more hardpack-type riding.

PaulF

« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »
Don't forget the On One Floater, not as much grip as the Nate but also rolls better (and quieter on the road!). Only done a couple rides with Nate (f) and Floater (r) after having a pair of Nates. The Floater let go a couple of times when the Nate would have held on but did so gently, I'm not good enough to say that it did it predictably :)

« Reply #49 on: 30 September, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »
Looked at the knards yesterday. They are reasonably priced too at less than £50 for 120tpi. The floater looks too good to be true at the price. If it works though I'll buy it, not a brand snob. I know the nates are going to get eaten away when I head to wales.

These will probably be good for an autumn tyre. It's still hard on the welsh trails, most of its rock anyway. There are a few miles on tarmac too between the rides I do when bivvying. The Scottish trails are very similar, don't go up there in the middle of winter to see how muddy they get!

The worst trails are Hanchurch, sandy and very muddy. The nates will be great for this and should clear the mud off the tread easily.