Author Topic: Can coffee intake cause a rapid heartrate?  (Read 2340 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Can coffee intake cause a rapid heartrate?
« on: 12 August, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »
Rode to work yesterday, about five minutes in, which is uphill,  I had some chest discomfort and increased heart rate.  Not chest pains as such, but it felt like a kind of fluttery indigestion with tightness in the chest.  I wasn't wearing my HRM but it felt like it was going like the clappers. I also felt mildly nauseous.  Slightly disconcerting I must admit.

I didn't stop but I slowed right down to 10 mph.  After I got stuck at a red light for ages I gradually felt better.

The reason I mention the coffee is that yesterday I let my coffee go cold and swigged it down like a swift half just as I was leaving.  It was only instant muck,  black made with two heaped teaspoons.

Anyone else had this?

Re: Can coffee intake cause a rapid heartrate?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »
I am an avid coffee drinker and hills often make me feel like this. I assumed it was because I am more ambitious than fit and 4 stone overweight (and asthmatic too).

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:38:57 pm »
Yes, but only after four cups in quick succession.  It can also make you flushed and temporarily (extremely) myopic.  Not nice.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:46:54 pm »
serves you right for drinking "instant" ;)

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2012, 12:50:07 pm »
I've had bit of heart flutter after too much strong coffee.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2012, 01:26:43 pm »
Caffeine is well-known for causing the heart to speed up; you could just have been unlucky. I'd be cautious for now.
See your doc if it happens again.

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2012, 03:39:22 pm »
Caffeine takes 20 minutes to kick in properly. Also, one cup shouldn't have that effect in a regular drinker. Do what hellymedic said if it happens again.

AndyK

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2012, 03:56:32 pm »
I've just been through a battery of tests for recurring heart palpitations: ECG, three day R test, calcium score, exercise echocardiogram stress test. No heart disease found. Everything normal

They aren't painful, they just feel like a gerbil flipping out in the chest for a few seconds. They tend to come on about forty minutes into a ride, and then recur each time I exert myself. They can feel like trapped wind that needs to be burped out.

Docs say they're nothing to worry about. But I do find them disconcerting and can lead to anxiety (which may explain your tight chest feeling, but I am not a doctor) and I do tend to slow my ride pace if they happen.

If they keep happening, see your GP.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »
Sometimes taking in a deep breath, holding it and straining (Valsalva manœuvre) can abort an attack of palpitations.

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »
I know an ex-pro who was getting some very worrying (for him) symptoms including a racing heart rate.

The doctor pinned it down to the excellent espresso machine in the bike shop he worked in - it was so good that he was having 5 or 6 espressos a day. No more espressos = no more symptoms.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2012, 06:27:28 pm »
I can add a personal anecdote to that one.  I had racing heart and palpitations back in the day.  My doctor took a quick EEG to check there was nothing pathological, then asked about coffee.  I was working evenings at a nerdhaus with free coffee in the jug, getting through about a jug a night all on my own.

He told me to stop that.

I did.  My heart stopped fucking around.  :thumbsup:

Caffeine has a short half-life, in the order of hours, so if you avoid it for a couple of days you're clear.  Easy to experiment.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »
Errr... Andy, the EEG records branewaves, the ECG records the heart.

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2012, 06:40:11 pm »
In my line of work I meet quite a number of people who have palpitations but with no underlying cause found after investigation. Usually, at some point it will be mentioned that they have either been advised to lay off the caffeine by a cardiologist, or that they know from experience that caffeine is a factor, or both.

Rode to work yesterday, about five minutes in, which is uphill,  I had some chest discomfort and increased heart rate.  Not chest pains as such, but it felt like a kind of fluttery indigestion with tightness in the chest.  I wasn't wearing my HRM but it felt like it was going like the clappers. I also felt mildly nauseous.  Slightly disconcerting I must admit.

I didn't stop but I slowed right down to 10 mph.  After I got stuck at a red light for ages I gradually felt better.

The reason I mention the coffee is that yesterday I let my coffee go cold and swigged it down like a swift half just as I was leaving.  It was only instant muck,  black made with two heaped teaspoons.

Anyone else had this?

If it reoccurs, seek advice on it, as you also mention some chest discomfort and tightness (although such sensations can be associated with palpitations in those who turn out to have no underlying issues).

AndyK

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2012, 06:43:46 pm »
I should add that I'm decaf only, and have been decaf for about five years.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2012, 07:26:23 pm »
Thanks peeps, I think I'll keep an eye on it, I was probably dehydrated as well. 

Getting up in the morning and having nothing to drink apart from a glorified diuretic is probably not a good idea in this weather.

Jakob

« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:21:34 pm »
I had  similar a few years back. Turned out to be plain 'ol heartburn. (Which can also be caused by coffee).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2012, 08:33:17 pm »
Caffeine does not act as a diuretic if you're dehydrated.
You might still be better off with a different drink.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #17 on: 13 August, 2012, 09:58:23 am »
Thanks peeps, I think I'll keep an eye on it, I was probably dehydrated as well. 

Getting up in the morning and having nothing to drink apart from a glorified diuretic is probably not a good idea in this weather.

Strong coffee without breakfast gives me the shakes and speeds up my heart.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 13 August, 2012, 12:18:45 pm »
For those who think Three Letter Acronyms (TLAs) should be explained whenever they first appear, PAT means Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 13 August, 2012, 01:25:07 pm »
I can't cope with acronyms so I expect not to be confused by their use but YMMV.

« Reply #20 on: 14 August, 2012, 02:51:51 pm »
Iv'e had palpitations for about 10 years now and they really freaked me out when I started getting them :oI had chest x ray,ECG and a stress test.Result- No problem detected.What causes mine is excessive alcohol,IE getting pissed, stress and strong coffee.Iv'e learnt to ignore them now.