Author Topic: NOVA EROICA AND GAIOLE EROICA  (Read 9022 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
NOVA EROICA AND GAIOLE EROICA
« on: 12 December, 2018, 12:04:28 pm »
Anyone else riding these great Tuscany gravel road events?

Entry is now open for Nova Eroica (Buonconvento , April 28th 2019). This is for modern bikes, either road or gravel. At the same time you can pre-enter for the original Eroica in Gaiole-in-Chianti, on retro pre 1979 bikes, held in October.

http://www.novaeroica.com/?utm_source=Eroica.cc&utm_campaign=7f11548db3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_12_07_04_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8fe5a24a55-7f11548db3-14900201&mc_cid=7f11548db3&mc_eid=648fdbe320
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

whosatthewheel

Re: NOVA EROICA AND GAIOLE EROICA
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2018, 06:52:09 am »
My understanding is that Nova is a "race", as opposed to a relaxed cyclo-tourist thing.

I have to say they are really milking the brand... there are so many Eroicas in Tuscany only that it's difficult to understand what is what

Pete Mas

« Reply #2 on: 17 December, 2018, 01:46:37 pm »
Yes there's now Eroica events all over the world, e.g. California, Japan, Spain, plus UK of course,  and an Eroica club to give discounted entry!

I read that the Nova Eroica has some shorter timed sections, but group riding possible for the remainder. It's in Buonconvento, south of Sienna and I will probably fly to Perugia and hire a car, though a no deal Brexit could create complications for both those options ( as I was reading in the Sunday Times yesterday...).

R.L.Stevenson

whosatthewheel

« Reply #3 on: 17 December, 2018, 03:34:41 pm »
Yes there's now Eroica events all over the world, e.g. California, Japan, Spain, plus UK of course,  and an Eroica club to give discounted entry!

I read that the Nova Eroica has some shorter timed sections, but group riding possible for the remainder. It's in Buonconvento, south of Sienna and I will probably fly to Perugia and hire a car, though a no deal Brexit could create complications for both those options ( as I was reading in the Sunday Times yesterday...).

Does Perugia have an airport? All new to me...
I suspect any Brexit outcome will affect air travel very little... we are outside Shenghen after all, so little change. If you were to drive to Dover on the other hand... you might find that in a no deal scenario it might take you the all day to cover the last 5 miles... equally, it might take you 6 hours to clear security at Calais

Pete Mas

« Reply #4 on: 17 December, 2018, 04:09:34 pm »
Ryanair fly to Perugia from Stansted.

Without going into detail I read that the threat of flights being grounded after a no-deal Brexit is being taken very seriously, and Government may is considering issuing advice not to book holidays after March 29th, but is mindful of the need to stop travel businesses going out of business!
Also British driving licences may not be valid so Brits may have to apply for (several) international driving permits in order to hire cars in Europe, as well as in future pay for an ETIAS Visa Waiver (£6 every 3 years from 2020).

R.L.Stevenson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2018, 06:51:44 pm »
I'm buying shares in those bike-portable kayak things.

(might be tricky with an Eroica-compatible bike, but they're stupid events anyway.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pete Mas

« Reply #6 on: 18 December, 2018, 03:35:11 pm »

(might be tricky with an Eroica-compatible bike, but they're stupid events anyway.)

You obviously didn't read the original post, as the event in April (which could be affected by Brexit) is for MODERN bikes...

As for the original Eroica events, don't knock it if you've never participated. They have a very special (pre-ride and during ride) atmosphere, and distances to suit all types of riders and vintage of bike, from 30km to a 200km with 5am start (which I rode in 2012 and attracts many audax types).

R.L.Stevenson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:03:08 pm »
Today's lesson; perhaps the internet DOES need smileys.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Pete Mas

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:46:01 pm »
Perhaps safer to use smileys  ;), but then it's easy to pick the wrong one sometimes (says he, speaking from experience). :facepalm:

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #9 on: 30 December, 2018, 10:06:39 pm »
Without going into detail I read that the threat of flights being grounded after a no-deal Brexit is being taken very seriously, and Government may is considering issuing advice not to book holidays after March 29th, but is mindful of the need to stop travel businesses going out of business!
It may also not just be EU flights that are affected.

From what I read, the main problem isn't immigration, customs etc, but the certification of aircraft and aircraft maintenance.
Most western countries have laws requiring civil flights to use properly certified aircraft, and the UK doesn't have any certification process of its own, having offloaded it to the EU many years ago (saving quite a bit of money in the process).