Author Topic: [LEL17] Tandem start times?  (Read 4757 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
[LEL17] Tandem start times?
« on: 10 January, 2017, 05:26:09 am »
Any more tandem teams here?

Emma and I are seriously contemplating shooting for a 100H time limit, in order to get the guaranteed 6-8am start time. Any other teams thinking along similar lines? Would be very nice to have a little tandem paceline for the first 200km.

Keeping together through the first 50km of rolling suburbia will take effort, but the next 150k should be ideal tandem country.

Alternatively we'll be in the lottery for start times but could get a nice tandem group together (I don't think there's any vélo spécial allowances on LEL in the past?)

Re: Tandem start times?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:11:02 am »
After you get others to go for the early start time idea, sign up as a team so you'll all get the same starting slot.  Probably need to work it out with the LEL High Command in advance to recognize the 4, 6 or 8 of you as 2, 3 or 4 bicycles, not as more than 4 riders, lest you get bumped to the back of the times.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2017, 09:54:45 am »
We're not tandemming this one - fboab will be sunning herself en-France, and I'll be hanging on for dear life behind some sucker's wheel (definitely not yours!) on LEL.

Every now and then, fboab has this crazy notion that we should prove to ourselves we can ride our own bikes. Madness!  :D

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2017, 11:08:32 am »
I dont think we will have any trouble recognising that Joth and Emma are on the same bike .. other tandems might need flagging .. but I am sure we can get all the tandems that want to start together into the same start box.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2017, 02:15:08 pm »
I'm tempted to go for the 100h limit but I need to work out how realistic that is. Tandems will be no help to me as I'd likely be riding fixed. The guaranteed early start slot does appeal.

« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2017, 08:02:53 am »
Any chance for a velo special start. Not all of us tandems are as quick as the Things.  Giving the tandems and any other odd machines space going through those skinny lanes would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
HK #1 to that idea from your pilot. Can we claim special needs.

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:21:33 pm »
HK #1 to that idea from your pilot. Can we claim special needs.

Eg: "Can we start in front of the Elliptigos please?"  :demon: ;)

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:22:05 pm »
Just watch out for special Eliptigos

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:25:21 pm »
Once bitten, etc, etc
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:42:02 pm »
I know it's all meant in fun but just in case any 'Go riders are reading this it's all history now...no hard feelings.

« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2017, 11:49:33 pm »
In any case I think there was a spectral longbarrow biting at Elliptigo rear wheels on the Wild Atlantic Way last year.

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2017, 11:58:40 pm »
In any case I think there was a spectral longbarrow biting at Elliptigo rear wheels on the Wild Atlantic Way last year.

Nah Stuart's rear wheel was just a rim with some spoke like wind chimes (think he said 19 spokes broke in the end before he had to use a proper bike  ;D) attached to it and the spectral long barrow missed Andy's reR wheel and bit his ankles. Irish roads were not kind to the Elliptigos.

« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:27:35 am »
I remember seeing info about the spread of start times, and when 'general' slots timings were scheduled for (as opposed to 100hr entrants), but cant remember if I saw it here, facebook or email.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

thx
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:44:30 am »
The home page of the LEL website has this news.
https://londonedinburghlondon.com/2016/08/here-are-some-details-about-next-years-start-times/

Is that what you are after?

« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:13:28 am »
Thats it, thanks
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #16 on: 16 February, 2017, 05:21:26 pm »
So we have opted for a 100 hour limit, with a 6:15 start time. We've put the team name down as 'TandemThings' in case any other tandems want to join us.

Emma
California Dreaming

« Reply #17 on: 16 February, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »
I have to say, I very much enjoyed the Things train at the start of MilleP. If you were to consider an 8am slot, please may I book a seat in first class.

« Reply #18 on: 16 February, 2017, 06:57:02 pm »
I have to say, I very much enjoyed the Things train at the start of MilleP. If you were to consider an 8am slot, please may I book a seat in first class.

I think you're thinking of 123up.

« Reply #19 on: 17 February, 2017, 12:37:47 am »

I think you're thinking of 123up.

Yup, we haven't audaxed in the UK since 2012 and still have only once attempted a 1000km. There's a Welsh dragon which still needs slaying... one day. Well behaved riders are always welcome to catch a ride in the train though, wherever we are.
California Dreaming