Author Topic: BBC 6 Music has become Radio 2  (Read 5838 times)

BBC 6 Music has become Radio 2
« on: 23 April, 2020, 09:28:15 am »
Anyone currently listening to this station online?
Why has it become Radio 2?
It is starting to grate.

ETA - As you were. It appears that normality has been restored.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: BBC 6 Music has become Radio 2
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:38:02 am »
I turned of as well. Apparently it's all part of the "Great British singalong" which seems to be an excuse to play crap tunes across the whole network

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:03:55 am »
It's massively infuriating. If I wanted to listen to Radio 1, I would listen to Radio 1. I'm not 12 years old. I'm a 47yo middle class white male, and that's precisely why I listen to 6music.

It might be worthwhile if they included Radio 3 in the mix. Preferably something from the Late Junction slot.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:27:24 pm »
It's OK. Keaveny is back on now.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:29:59 pm »
What's Radio 2?

Pretty sure I listened to 6Music once but it turned into Northerners Talking, which is about as much fun as it sounds.

I can do Radio X till about 11am at which point they either play Oasis or the playlist starts to repeat, at which point I switch to Apple Music.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:32:36 pm »
Pretty sure I listened to 6Music once but it turned into Northerners Talking, which is about as much fun as it sounds.

Probably Radcliffe & Maconie. One of the finest radio shows ever to grace our airwaves 8).
Pen Pusher

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:33:58 pm »
It's OK. Keaveny is back on now.

Keaveny plus guest Diane Morgan - so that will be two northerners talking, specially for ian.  ;D

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:34:31 pm »

Probably Radcliffe & Maconie. One of the finest radio shows ever to grace our airwaves 8).

Did I ever mention that I've been on the Chain three times? I must have mentioned it.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:47:28 pm »
Did I ever mention that I've been on the Chain three times? I must have mentioned it.

You did.

I never got round to phoning in (always too busy in the afternoons). I once had what I thought was a great link too  :-\.
Pen Pusher

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2020, 12:55:17 pm »
There was a simulcast with european stations on March the 20th where they played "You'll never walk alone"
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/viral-news/2020/03/19/bbc-radio-to-join-european-stations-in-playing-youll-never-walk-alone/
It's been every Thursday since lock-down started here and will apparently carry on until it's over.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2020, 06:49:34 pm »
It's been every Thursday since lock-down started here and will apparently carry on until it's over.

If that's not a good reason to open the shops, pubs, etc, RIGHT NOW then I don't know what is.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2020, 07:42:39 pm »
What's Radio 2?
Apparently it's what people's parents used to listen to "Sing Something Simple" on. I don't know what that was but people don't seem to have liked it.

Cudzo's guide to BBC radio:
Radio 1 – used to be for teenagers, now for kids
Radio 2 – where Radio 1 DJs go when they're too middle aged to fit behind the Radio 1 mixing desk
Radio 3 – serious classical music, as opposed to easy listening classical, occasionally arty stuff
Radio 4 – the news and occasional drama
Radio 5 – not sure, is it sport?
Radio 6 – where Radio 1 DJs go when they can still fit behind the mixing desk but they're too grown up to listen to Radio 1
Radio 7 – for prime number freaks and Dan Brown fans
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2020, 08:48:26 pm »
Radio 2 – where Radio 1 DJs go when they're too middle aged to fit behind the Radio 1 mixing desk

One of the first signs of middle age is when the Radio 1 DJs of your youth get a slot on Radio 2.

Radio 3 – serious classical music, as opposed to easy listening classical, occasionally arty stuff

I've noticed a definite shift towards populism in recent years. They even nicked Petroc Trelawney off Classic FM for their breakfast show.

Radio 5 – not sure, is it sport?

They launched a 'Man's Hour' programme a while ago, as a riposte to R4's Women's Hour. Because really there isn't already enough content on mainstream media aimed at men.

You don't listen to radio much, do you? (I'm not questioning your assessment of the content, but the station stopped being called Radio 7 a mere nine years ago.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:01:41 pm »

You don't listen to radio much, do you? (I'm not questioning your assessment of the content, but the station stopped being called Radio 7 a mere nine years ago.)
Freaky! "Radio 4 Extra is the new name for Radio 7." I had no idea there'd ever been a Radio 7, hence my invention (so I thought) of it for numerologists and conspiracy theorists.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2020, 09:17:39 pm »
Freaky! "Radio 4 Extra is the new name for Radio 7." I had no idea there'd ever been a Radio 7, hence my invention (so I thought) of it for numerologists and conspiracy theorists.
Its quite nice if you like Hitchhiker's Guide, Terry Pratchett or Doctor Who. Though I don't bother to listen to it live, just grab them off Iplayer, and listen to them when I'm out for a run.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:12:43 pm »
....Craig Charles too, another northerner  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:13:58 pm »
Radio 2 not been the same since Wogan left ;)

« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2020, 10:28:53 pm »
Radio 6 – where Radio 1 DJs go when they can still fit behind the mixing desk but they're too grown up to listen to Radio 1
Did many of them arrive via R1?  Maybe the day shift which I haven't listened to since Phill Jupitus left.  Those I do frequently tune it to are mostly musicians, past and present, all of them good but Cerys Matthews is exceptional, she hasn't done a show where I haven't learnt something and even when it's not really my thing I can't help but be carried along by the enthusiasm.

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2020, 11:31:06 pm »
Did many of them arrive via R1?

Most of them, I think. Off the top of my head, of the current roster of regulars, Mary Anne Hobbs, Mark Radcliffe, Marc Riley, Stuart Maconie, Steve Lamacq, Nemone, Gilles Peterson and Liz Kershaw have all had their own (or co-presented) programmes on Radio 1 before they were on 6music.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 24 April, 2020, 10:18:18 am »
I'm not against northerners in principle. I believe they can be rehabilitated.

I only listened once, and it seemed like one song followed by four hours of rabbiting, one dull interview, another song, then they went home. Honestly, I could replicate the experience through a long wait for a bus in Oldham (where the battery in my phone ran out after one song).

I confess, I'm most anti-waffle, I want tunes.

« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2020, 10:38:48 am »

I confess, I'm most anti-waffle

Oh.

rob

« Reply #21 on: 24 April, 2020, 10:48:47 am »
I quite enjoy Radio 2 and listen on the commute.  It seems to be on most of the day.   I am now late 40s.

I am occasionally forced to listen to Radio 1 but the conversation is so banal.  It must kill the presenters to have to talk about nothing for an hour.   The model is create a subject in the first 5 minutes and then thrash it to death for the rest of the show.   Mind numbing.

Being a bit of a dance music fan I have been enjoying dance anthems on a Saturday afternoon.   Ideal turbo trainer music.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #22 on: 24 April, 2020, 11:48:33 am »
I'm not against northerners in principle. I believe they can be rehabilitated.

I only listened once, and it seemed like one song followed by four hours of rabbiting, one dull interview, another song, then they went home. Honestly, I could replicate the experience through a long wait for a bus in Oldham (where the battery in my phone ran out after one song).

I confess, I'm most anti-waffle, I want tunes.

In which case try Radio Paradise. Waffle free (in fact they only do the station ident and don't seem to announce the music), advert free.

ian

« Reply #23 on: 24 April, 2020, 11:57:48 am »
I have a daily routine in the remote command centre. I confess I quite enjoy Chris Moyles on Radio X in the morning, but after an hour or so of Toby Tarrant, the playlist tends to get worse and repetitive, so I play some random-ish stuff on Apple Music, which gets more purposeful throughout the day (it's most background music, otherwise I'd have the dulcet tones of a valley full of reversing delivery vans all day) until I'm full-time DJ by the evening.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #24 on: 26 April, 2020, 12:47:01 am »
Gideon Coe FTW  :thumbsup: