Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 187512 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #100 on: 29 March, 2012, 06:22:54 am »
Usual starting venue, yes.

Not a lot, and it is across a field, not along muddy lanes.

Thrintoft (New Inn).

Think that covers all bases :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #101 on: 29 March, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
\o/ another lovely day to get out on the bikes, I can't wait.....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #102 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:16:40 am »
....and how brilliant was that?

We started out as 4, lost one of our numbers due to family commitments, rode out as 3, then made it back up to 4 again when we got to the pub....

The evening featured, in no particular order:
A hare
goldfinches
rabbits
bats
crows (didn't catch their names, so not sure if one of them was Jim or Joe)
Gun Dog beer
chips
A hodgeheg, rolled up in the road, hope he moved before any cars came along :(

Of the riding we had a busy bit of road (less than 1/2 a mile and no homicidal bus drivers today)
the lovely road out past Solberge Hall
The green lane (and I see it is actually called Green Lane) to Maunby
Then the new bit, we go past The Buck and turn right onto a bridleway.
Lovely flat tarmacced farm road with panoramic views.
A turn left takes you into a field, past sheeps and on to the next fiedl whereupon we climbed to the top of the flood defenses and rode along them.
At the end of the flood defense we rode down into the "Fun Field", a field full of corrugations, just the right size to bring a big smile to the face.
dried up mud tracks followed next then the highlight, a bit of farm road that you never want to end.  Endless views, lovely rolling tarmac and ANOTHER CYCLIST!!! He was riding the other way and commented on he thought we were a car!  Then again I can see why that is, between the three of us we had a Hope Vision 1, a Cateye "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" light and an IQ CYO.
One more short bit of main road, thankfully very quiet @ 20:00, and we were back onto the quiet lanes to Maunby for chips, beer and chat, including two very drunk guys sat int he smoking shelter who thought we were very large, very odd looking insects turning up!  You need more water was said!
After our chatting/drinking/eating session (during which we reverted to 4), the 3 cyclists set off back down Shark Lane, which looked more like someone had been exercising their pet elephant along it!
A quick blast along the usual roads back to THoFC and all was good with the world.

I can't wait for the next one :)

LindaG

« Reply #103 on: 30 March, 2012, 10:47:53 am »
We saw a Fox, too, on the way back, just round the corner from our house.

It was a grand night, that.  Some pictures.

Thou shalt ...

British Summer Time.  Most of the ride out was in daylight, or approximate daylight.  Oh, it were grand.

With the bonus of tiptop at the beginning, and at the pubbe!   Yay!    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #104 on: 02 April, 2012, 12:08:32 pm »
Hmmm... what's this thursday's plan?  Because I've checked the times and my train from That LonDon is _due_ to arrive in York with approx 8 minutes to get my bike out of the guards van, load the panniers back on, and get over the bridge from platform 6 to 10/11 before the TPE to northallerton.  Without accounting for attempting to buy a ticket at some point.... I mean, it's a plan that quite entertains me and all that.  And doing the pubbe runne with a pair of panniers on because you haven't made it home from a mini-tour is somewhat in the spirit of the thing.  But if it goes wrong the next train doesn't get into NTR 'til quarter to 7....

tiermat

« Reply #105 on: 02 April, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »
Fuuny you should mention that CL, but I shall be in parts forrin this Thursday, so it shall be a no show from me, sorry.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #106 on: 02 April, 2012, 12:20:03 pm »
Which makes a northallerton ride a bit less logical, really....

CrinklyLion

« Reply #107 on: 06 April, 2012, 05:09:59 am »
Sorry, can't do Sunday.  Although if you make it as far as York and want a late lunch making, shout up.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #108 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:31:17 pm »
Have a grand ride :)

tiermat

« Reply #109 on: 08 April, 2012, 05:28:33 pm »
This week is deffo on though, and as I will not be in the country for the 1st anniversary (my bad planning, I am afraid) I think this week should be the celebration of 1 year since we started these, very successful, rides.

So usual time and place, destination Unknown, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, Ruby Soho The Farmers Arms in Scorton, just like old times :)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #110 on: 08 April, 2012, 05:32:13 pm »
But I can't do this week :(

« Reply #111 on: 08 April, 2012, 05:35:49 pm »
I can actually do this Thursday, for once, so am interested...

LindaG

« Reply #112 on: 08 April, 2012, 08:39:44 pm »
Working on Thursday, sorry  :'(

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #113 on: 09 April, 2012, 12:01:27 am »
I'd love to join you for this anniversary ride but I'm afraid the logistics are just not feasible.  :(

Make sure it's a good one, Copper Dragon and chips, cos t'would be rude not to.

While you're there make sure you raise a glass to Deano, without whom etc etc

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

« Reply #114 on: 11 April, 2012, 06:19:24 am »
I can actually do this Thursday, for once, so am interested...

brilliant, shall pm you details

Working on Thursday, sorry  :'(

Booo! :(

But I can't do this week :(

Another booo! Hiss!

tiermat

« Reply #115 on: 13 April, 2012, 07:39:08 am »
Well last nigth was fun (or at least I thought so).

In the end it was just phantasmagoriana and myself on the ride, but that didn't deter me nor did it cause me to change the route (although I did draw the line at the one and only, original COR route).

I get asked, shortly after we turn off for Danby Whiske, if the route goes down Shark Lane.
"Oh no" says I, "this is a different way, and besides it would be unfair of me to go that way"

Out via Danby whiske, through Streetlam, Whitwell and Forest to Scorton and The Farmers Arms!

A few pints were had (sadly not of Copper Dragon, as it was off, but of Timmy Taylors).  We chatted for a while, including tot he guys on the next table to us (did I mention it was Quiz Night?) who mentioned they run a cycling thingy in the village on the last Saturday of each month, going 25-30 miles, and that they had a tandem, on which they go further.

I then realised that I was talking to my aunty's former neighbours!  So we chatted awhile about family, including fond memories of my late uncle.  :thumbsup:

Eventually we decided we had better make a move, so we finished our drinks and hit the road.  Down the "main" road from Scorton back to NTR, just outside Kipling my light went dim so we stopped to check it and a quick push on the connector sorted it (why are Shimano dynohub connectors so crap?).  Onward to Great Langton, where upon we decided to turn right instead of following the main road.  Up a little rise and we were riding through dark, silent woods.  At the turning, instead of heading back towards the main road again I took us down the road to Thrintoft (former Thursday night riders might now realise just where this is leading :) ).  A stupid overtake along that narrow road by whiteblue van man didn't manage to spoil my enjoyment as we whizzed along (that girl is FAST).  When we got to Thirntoft we turned left, past the New Inn then up the little rise and turned right.

"Are you sure this is a road?" I heard behind me
"It's on the NCN" was my reply
"Hang on, is THIS Shark Lane?"
"might be"

Onwards, ever onwards we went, until it became a bit too muddy so we walked the last bit, up through the trees.  Phan. is now inducted into the Shark Lane club, I don't think she was overly impressed though, sorry :)

The rest of the route was the normal, past the golf club and on to the station, for Phan to get her train home.

A great night, fastest I had ever ridden that route, and my legs are reporting the same this morning.

Here's to the week after next, where I WILL find some Copper Dragon, and I WILL raise a glass to our man in $WHEREEVER_HE_HAPPENS_TO_BE_RIGHT_NOW

« Reply #116 on: 13 April, 2012, 07:51:23 am »
Ah, Copper Dragon.   Fond memories...    :)

So erm, what's this Shark Lane club then?

tiermat

« Reply #117 on: 13 April, 2012, 07:59:03 am »
You'd like it, PB, Shark Lane is a short stretch of single width road which peters out into a muddy, pothole-riddled bit of farm track that joins two pieces of road that are used regularly on the Thursday night rides.

It's actually called Myers Lane but has been re-dubbed Shark Lane due to the size and depth of some of its potholes.

So far I have ridden it on:
The Ridley with 23mm tyres
my fixie
My InBred 29er

I have been down there with other people who have ridden it on:
fixed
my Ridley
several Trek Hybrids (and a Giant hybrid I used to own)
several Dawes (Horizons and Galaxys) with between 25 and 35mm tyres
A TANDEM!!!!

The next time we go there I will take photos, especially if it has been raining....

CrinklyLion

« Reply #118 on: 23 April, 2012, 06:26:57 pm »
As I said over on the York thread (cue Ctrl+C Ctrl+V) I have Thursday with no chiddlers this week, but possibly ought to consider not riding even if there is A Plan as I appear to have a small invasion of YACFers over Fri/Sat and a bit of a bike ride to do then too... I probably ought to do some shopping and cooking and stuff :-\

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #119 on: 23 April, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »
As I said over on the York thread (cue Ctrl+C Ctrl+V) I have Thursday with no chiddlers this week, but possibly ought to consider not riding even if there is A Plan as I appear to have a small invasion of YACFers over Fri/Sat and a bit of a bike ride to do then too... I probably ought to do some shopping and cooking and stuff :-\

Nah riding and going to the pub's more important :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

« Reply #120 on: 24 April, 2012, 06:27:16 am »
I can only, after a long negotiation, do Thursday night this week I am afraid (and I won't do the copy/paste bit as I assume enough read both threads to know :) ).

Usual time, usual place, who's in?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #121 on: 25 April, 2012, 06:26:33 am »
Sorry T, I'm definitely out.  My 'bit of a sore throat' yesterday is a definite lurgy today.

tiermat

« Reply #122 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:48:59 am »
Any takers?

« Reply #123 on: 26 April, 2012, 01:16:54 pm »
Not me, sorry - back to not being free on Thursdays again.  Particularly sad to be missing Shark Lane in this weather, though! :P

tiermat

« Reply #124 on: 26 April, 2012, 01:18:10 pm »
Not me, sorry - back to not being free on Thursdays again.  Particularly sad to be missing Shark Lane in this weather, though! :P

Really? Some how I don't believe you :)