Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338803 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1750 on: 01 April, 2021, 12:54:21 am »
Those Oru folding kayaks are interesting idea. But not really for serious sea kayaking. No watertight bulkheads so really bad news if you capsize and have to climb back in. No hatches and it seems iffy customer service and poor quality control.
I'm probably going to get a P&H Virgo Kayak. My white water kayak is no fun for going any distance or in straight lines

The Tile Collector

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1751 on: 01 April, 2021, 07:56:44 am »
When I lived in Brough I spoke to one of the Humber Pilots about this and the look of horror on his face was a picture. Tidal flow of seven knots... I went sailing with another friend and even in a strong wind, sailing downstream against the incoming tide was dead slow. The waves got really choppy too.

Davef

« Reply #1752 on: 01 April, 2021, 08:05:38 am »
Those Oru folding kayaks are interesting idea. But not really for serious sea kayaking. No watertight bulkheads so really bad news if you capsize and have to climb back in. No hatches and it seems iffy customer service and poor quality control.
I'm probably going to get a P&H Virgo Kayak. My white water kayak is no fun for going any distance or in straight lines

The idea is based on the folding kayaks used by the Royal Marine Commandos during WW2, often transported by submarine. My 1/72 airfix toy soldiers had some.

« Reply #1753 on: 01 April, 2021, 10:26:26 am »
When I lived in Brough I spoke to one of the Humber Pilots about this and the look of horror on his face was a picture. Tidal flow of seven knots... I went sailing with another friend and even in a strong wind, sailing downstream against the incoming tide was dead slow. The waves got really choppy too.
Yup, it's not a task to be undertaken lightly. Almost everything you learn in kayaking is safety related. Mess up on a bike and you'll probably end up with road rash or similar. Mess up kayaking and you can end up dead. I'd only paddle in the Estuary with experienced locals. And in good weather.

A chap in paddling group I'm in just did a 52km tidal loop from Selby. He went down the Aire on the ebb flow and back around on Ouse on flood. You have to time it just right though.  ;D
The Tile Collector

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1754 on: 01 April, 2021, 10:28:36 am »
Yup, it's not a task to be undertaken lightly. Almost everything you learn in kayaking is safety related. Mess up on a bike and you'll probably end up with road rash or similar. Mess up kayaking and you can end up dead. I'd only paddle in the Estuary with experienced locals. And in good weather.

A chap in paddling group I'm in just did a 52km tidal loop from Selby. He went down the Aire on the ebb flow and back around on Ouse on flood. You have to time it just right though.  ;D

The closest I've ever come to thinking I was going to die was in a kayak. Trapped, upside down, in about 600-800mm of water on the river Wye.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1755 on: 01 April, 2021, 10:35:43 am »
The idea is based on the folding kayaks used by the Royal Marine Commandos during WW2, often transported by submarine. My 1/72 airfix toy soldiers had some.
The Commando folding boats evolved from original Inuit designs, whereas these Oru kayaks do seem to be genuinely original as they are cleverly based on origami folding. Though the folds as I suspected also seem to be a weak point with leaks being an issue with some users.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1756 on: 01 April, 2021, 10:40:33 am »
The closest I've ever come to thinking I was going to die was in a kayak. Trapped, upside down, in about 600-800mm of water on the river Wye.

J
That's doesn't sound like fun.  :-[
I grew up on sea front and have a healthy respect for water and how very easily it can kill you.
Kayaking can be great fun, but also pretty scary and not in a exciting fairground ride way. Genuinely scary.
The Tile Collector

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1757 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:14:58 am »

Glad you know what you're doing. I read a lovely piece by Ken Oliver about Kayaking the Humber estuary and he's perhaps the expert to talk to. He's done it and he'll know the risks... which get reported on every now and again. Last May, from the Hull Daily Mail.

From a land based perspective, have you collected the tile at the bottom of the garden of the house on Station Rd in Whitton? I took the couple who live there some chocolates to apologise for the intrusion. On the northern bank, just east of Hull, I have struggled to get access to the tile on the eastern bank of Old Fleet opposite Saltend chemical works. ABP have failed to repair the pedestrian crossing at the lock gates to King George Dock. I know its a dead end footpath, but it is the only way to visit that side of Saltend.

Happy / safe kayaking!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1758 on: 02 April, 2021, 02:20:54 pm »
I'm definitely going to have to get into sea kayaking - although the price of kayaks is a bit of a barrier at the moment.

There are a bunch of tiles I need in the Medway estuary that are only accessible by water:

Looking at the Strava heatmap, I'm guessing there are quite a few other veloviewer tile baggers in the area:

I looked up Burntwick Island - it has an interesting history:
http://www.rainham-history.co.uk/articleslist/341-infamous-island-of-burntwick
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1759 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:14:54 pm »
Glad you know what you're doing.
I wouldn't go that far. I know what I need to know though. Still not there yet.
Desperate to get myself a sea kayak this year.

I read a lovely piece by Ken Oliver about Kayaking the Humber estuary and he's perhaps the expert to talk to.
I contacted that club a while back to get some info. There was to be a group outing led by a local for the Yorkshire Sea Kayakers a while back, but weather put a damper on it. Do you have a link to this article. In case it's not one I've read already.

From a land based perspective, have you collected the tile at the bottom of the garden of the house on Station Rd in Whitton? I took the couple who live there some chocolates to apologise for the intrusion.
I knocked on their door back in Sept 2018, they were lovely about my odd request to stand at foot of their garden. Didn't manage to tile much in 2019 for various reasons, then Covid. Hence little progression past there. Plus the water issue.

On the northern bank, just east of Hull, I have struggled to get access to the tile on the eastern bank of Old Fleet opposite Saltend chemical works. ABP have failed to repair the pedestrian crossing at the lock gates to King George Dock. I know its a dead end footpath, but it is the only way to visit that side of Saltend.
Happy / safe kayaking!
Cheers. That dock is still about 15 tiles away from my current NE edge. So a long way off time wise. Poss 20-30 rides/kayaks away.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1760 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:30:23 pm »
I'm definitely going to have to get into sea kayaking - although the price of kayaks is a bit of a barrier at the moment.
I think kayaks are really cheap compared to bikes. Got a really nice creek boat second hand for about £400 onc spray deck, carbon paddle and a good buoyancy aid and air bags for inside boat. I also paid £20 for a dry suit from an Army Surplus place for a film shoot where I had to stand in a river. Perfect for kayaking too. 
A really good new sea kayak is £800+ and a really expensive one is about the low end price a keen cyclist will pay for just one of their bikes.
The additional various bits of safety stuff can certainly add up though. However there are water sport places where you pay an annual fee and get use of facilities and kayaks, canoes, boats, SUP, etc for nothing after that. Manvers Lake in Yorkshire costs just £60 a year. Bargain. 
Be very aware that kayaking can be deadly if you don't know what you are doing. Get proper coaching. It's nearly all safety stuff. Water is dangerous.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1761 on: 05 April, 2021, 11:51:39 am »
Tiled Leeds North on Easter Sunday. It was a tad cold + windy shall we say. Obviously wind speed halved on return leg.  :facepalm:

The Tile Collector

« Reply #1762 on: 07 April, 2021, 11:31:49 pm »

There are a bunch of tiles I need in the Medway estuary that are only accessible by water:

Looking at the Strava heatmap, I'm guessing there are quite a few other veloviewer tile baggers in the area:

I looked up Burntwick Island - it has an interesting history:
http://www.rainham-history.co.uk/articleslist/341-infamous-island-of-burntwick

I reckon you should follow Graeme and boab's example, and just move house to somewhere you need a bunch of squares :)

« Reply #1763 on: 08 April, 2021, 10:01:31 am »
That approach can only take you so far. I can't imagine ever moving to

(click to show/hide)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1764 on: 08 April, 2021, 10:48:44 am »
I reckon you should follow Graeme and boab's example, and just move house to somewhere you need a bunch of squares :)

Maybe we should set up some Tilebaggers house swapping for short periods   :P ;D

Did cross my mind if there was merit in the "collective" offering safe parking spots at their homes to explore different areas, as we wait for campsites and the like to open up. You are very welcome in East Northants.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1765 on: 08 April, 2021, 11:50:20 am »

Maybe we should set up some Tilebaggers house swapping for short periods   :P ;D

Did cross my mind if there was merit in the "collective" offering safe parking spots at their homes to explore different areas, as we wait for campsites and the like to open up. You are very welcome in East Northants.  :thumbsup:
What I really could do with is a tilebagging friend at Porton Down...

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1766 on: 08 April, 2021, 12:44:36 pm »
What I really could do with is a tilebagging friend at Porton Down...
Saw there was an off road sportive in that area at the weekend with another planned, rider videos of passing tanks at speed drew my attention, but seems they only did the bridleways, no private areas like some old mtb events there.

« Reply #1767 on: 08 April, 2021, 01:47:35 pm »

Interesting idea. And for more normal times too. I'm Sheffield with Peak District a short ride away. Lots of lovely riding here.

I went to visit my Mum last March for a few days, ended up staying a few months because of some bug going around. Luckily I had my new FS MTB with me because as there are loads of great MTB trails behind house. Also did a lot of local micro exploring. Tiled all the land part of The Gower bar one which I rode past twice within a few easy metres of ticking it off, but forgot. Duh!
The Tile Collector

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1768 on: 08 April, 2021, 02:53:43 pm »
Tiled all the land part of The Gower bar one which I rode past twice within a few easy metres of ticking it off, but forgot. Duh!

Frustrating!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1769 on: 08 April, 2021, 04:13:01 pm »
Frustrating!
No big deal with this one. It's not part of my Max Square, it's easy to get and it's somewhere I'll ride again anyway.
When I'm finally allowed to visit home again.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #1770 on: 08 April, 2021, 05:49:46 pm »
Used the extension of ability to move within Fife and a low tide to explore the North East Corner of the Kingdom.  First, accessed the two tiles south of Leuchars, which I thought would be tricky, but actually were really simple- a 25 min walk from Coble Shore parking on the Guardbridge to St Andrews Road.  It was a little muddy but nothing compared to what I have already done.

Then had a great ride in Tentsmuir Forest and on the beach - some lovely hard sand (and a bit of hike a bike over some softer stuff) and some great little MTB trails.  Then tidied up some missing tiles in the NE corner of Fife.  A mini cluster of 40 odd ready to join up with the rest.  I also think Tentsmuir point is worth further exploration.  At low tide there are as many as 3 or 4 tiles (2 to North and two to the East which could be accessible.  Would have to be there for 1hr either side of low tide, not 3hrs after it like I was today.  And seals in their hundreds as potential sandbar mates...

tentsmuir

One annoyance was a tile in Newport- by an old pier on Boat Brae- hoped to blag my way onto it, but all padlocked shut.  Another day...

« Reply #1771 on: 09 April, 2021, 10:49:09 am »

One annoyance was a tile in Newport- by an old pier on Boat Brae- hoped to blag my way onto it, but all padlocked shut.  Another day...

FifeingEijit might be able to help with access to this one.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1772 on: 09 April, 2021, 10:57:42 am »
Used the extension of ability to move within Fife and a low tide to explore the North East Corner of the Kingdom.  First, accessed the two tiles south of Leuchars, which I thought would be tricky, but actually were really simple- a 25 min walk from Coble Shore parking on the Guardbridge to St Andrews Road.  It was a little muddy but nothing compared to what I have already done.

Then had a great ride in Tentsmuir Forest and on the beach - some lovely hard sand (and a bit of hike a bike over some softer stuff) and some great little MTB trails.  Then tidied up some missing tiles in the NE corner of Fife.  A mini cluster of 40 odd ready to join up with the rest.  I also think Tentsmuir point is worth further exploration.  At low tide there are as many as 3 or 4 tiles (2 to North and two to the East which could be accessible.  Would have to be there for 1hr either side of low tide, not 3hrs after it like I was today.  And seals in their hundreds as potential sandbar mates...

tentsmuir

That tile is right at the end of the slip so needs low tide and boat trips running from the pier.
I reckon the Newport gala day would do next time it runs, just got to pick your rib trip right. Or kayak...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1773 on: 14 April, 2021, 11:43:29 pm »
So I went tiling on Tuesday as it finally stopped snowing/sleeting/hailing/blowing a gale. Yay!
Went to fill car up but forgot mask so back home. Fueled up and it's an hour and a half drive, mostly on motorway and I'm ready to set off. Decide to put GoPro on for climb out of Oxenhope as drivers were being well drivers and camera beeps to say no. Thought I'd forgot to put card in, but I later discover camera had turned itself on and recorded my office wall until 128GB card was full. Voice control is not always a good thing when it mistakes other random speech for instructions.
1.5km in and the hill gets steeper. A lot steeper, 18% in places and it's very hard work. Get to flat section and notice chain is misbehaving as I ease up on pedals. Turns out wheel was binding, so no wonder the climb was really tough. Though my lack of long rides/fitness didn't help either. I try and fettle bike and then cassette stops freewheeling entirely. I console myself at least it wasn't half way around like last time this part failed. I limp back to car on my now fixie, which is always harder going down than up and visit the bike shop in nearby Hebden Bridge. As I expected, no spare part for obscure non standard widget. What was not expected was a parking ticket. Hadn't realised spot became a clearway half an hour into my 1 hour parking. Duh! I have little concept of time/day of week/month anymore. Then a two and a half hour drive to get back for various boring reasons, the first hour of which felt like 5 hours as bladder was very full and nowhere to stop to empty it for way too long.  :-[
So £84 in parts/ticket, 4 hours driving and I get a whopping 3 tiles. Woohoo!
On the upside I can at least skip those tiles and the 18% climb when I return to do the rest of loop.  :)
The Tile Collector

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1774 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:21:29 am »
It might be cheaper to move to Hebden
 ;D