Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175317 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #75 on: 11 September, 2016, 06:01:32 pm »
Thanks! So, looking at the UMCA site, is this the current benchmark:

11 May 2016   9 Jun 2016       André Goeritz (49) Los Angeles, CA   Andrew Jelmert   Drew Clark   18-49   6679.8[total]   222.66[mpd]   This is the inaugural HAMR Month record and stands as the overall record for all categories until surpassed.

http://www.ultracycling.com/sections/records/stats/hamr/

[and Steve's target is 7,000 miles? ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #76 on: 12 September, 2016, 03:03:27 am »
Apologies if I've been woefully slack in keeping up with all this, but:

Is Steve's "Month record attempt" officially lodged with any validating authority? And has Amanda done the same? (given that she appears to be outdoing him in September, based on jo's main stats thread)

Steve is registered through the UMCA for a monthly record attempt in Sept, Amanda is not.

« Reply #77 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:39:19 pm »
[and Steve's target is 7,000 miles? ]

As I read his post about it, Steve is targeting 7k miles as an indicator of readiness for another attempt on the year record. The fact that if he fell short but passed 6680 he'd get the HAMR Month (HMMR?) would presumably be poor consolation.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #78 on: 13 September, 2016, 12:29:22 am »
One-third of the way through and Steve has clocked up 2425 miles. If he can emulate that for the next 20 days his total will be 7275.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #79 on: 15 September, 2016, 01:25:40 pm »
One-third of the way through and Steve has clocked up 2425 miles. If he can emulate that for the next 20 days his total will be 7275.

Many of us saw him on the Flatlands and he rode the night stage from Gainsborough to Sleaford with me; riding well.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #80 on: 16 September, 2016, 08:20:25 pm »
Whoa, on Steve's Cotswold & Chilterns ride of 370km & ~1400m @ ~29km/h, 100% of his heart rate was under 100bpm... 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #81 on: 16 September, 2016, 09:16:41 pm »
Whoa, on Steve's Cotswold & Chilterns ride of 370km & ~1400m @ ~29km/h, 100% of his heart rate was under 100bpm...
How many PRs? :o
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #82 on: 21 September, 2016, 12:22:47 am »
If I've got this right Steve is still - just - on target for 7000 miles in 30 days.

A succession of 240 mile days would be a big boost.

« Reply #83 on: 21 September, 2016, 08:15:56 am »
That's confirmed by Jo's latest report. His average so far would give him 7140 in 30 days.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #84 on: 21 September, 2016, 08:36:08 am »
Apologies if I've been woefully slack in keeping up with all this, but:

Is Steve's "Month record attempt" officially lodged with any validating authority? And has Amanda done the same? (given that she appears to be outdoing him in September, based on jo's main stats thread)

Not completely if you judge by the Strava accounts. Strava starts counting from the 1st of september onwards. A month record is in fact 30 conscecutive days, Steve started on the 2nd of september, so in order to get the correct results you have to correct Amanda's montly mileage.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #85 on: 24 September, 2016, 07:14:48 am »
I have just been talking to Dear Sis-in-law about Steve's attempt and getting his effort into perspective.

"This month, Steve will cycle just over twice as far as you drive in two years."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #86 on: 24 September, 2016, 10:20:49 pm »
I doned 7487 miles since August 27th, but that was in a motor-car.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #87 on: 24 September, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »
I do about 3000 miles in my car every year.

Then there's sat in taxis, hire cars, adn that's before trains and planes.

I may cover my own car mileage on the bike this year
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #88 on: 24 September, 2016, 11:20:18 pm »
I work on the principle that if you're doing more cycling miles than car miles you're winning.

By which metric Teethgrinder is - as usual - in a league of his own, and Mr Larrington is losing in style.   :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #89 on: 25 September, 2016, 02:19:46 pm »
latest from jo:
Steve has one week left on his month record attempt and currently 31 miles ahead of target with 5398 miles covered.

So it LOOKS to be under control; he's been trending upwards for the past week-ish.

But I don't know how he's achieving these miles. Has anyone inspected his riding time? Is he getting plenty of time for sleep?
Is his moving average steady?

Cos if so, he has plenty of scope to bang in a big final day, which effectively gives him another - let's say - 60-mile buffer. He is stuffed if anything really bad happens (i.e. loses a whole day), but he can afford a couple of mediocre days, or a dozen p*nctures, or maybe one proper mechanical ... etc ... etc ... :P
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #90 on: 25 September, 2016, 02:31:12 pm »
I do about 3000 miles in my car every year.

Then there's sat in taxis, hire cars, adn that's before trains and planes.

I may cover my own car mileage on the bike this year

Last year my bikes did more airplane miles than riding miles, courtesy of flying my Airnimal to North Carolina and Germany.   :facepalm:
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #91 on: 25 September, 2016, 03:49:36 pm »
latest from jo:
Steve has one week left on his month record attempt and currently 31 miles ahead of target with 5398 miles covered.

So it LOOKS to be under control; he's been trending upwards for the past week-ish.

But I don't know how he's achieving these miles. Has anyone inspected his riding time? Is he getting plenty of time for sleep?
Is his moving average steady?

Cos if so, he has plenty of scope to bang in a big final day, which effectively gives him another - let's say - 60-mile buffer. He is stuffed if anything really bad happens (i.e. loses a whole day), but he can afford a couple of mediocre days, or a dozen p*nctures, or maybe one proper mechanical ... etc ... etc ... :P

Strava suggests he's spending 12-14 hours daily out between start and finish. But low intensity with HR averages between 100-110bpm and speeds around 22kph.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #92 on: 25 September, 2016, 06:59:38 pm »
I'm given to understand there's still a bit left in the tank.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #93 on: 25 September, 2016, 07:07:04 pm »
He should be using it. 22 kph is too slow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #94 on: 26 September, 2016, 12:09:03 am »
Strava suggests he's spending 12-14 hours daily out between start and finish. But low intensity with HR averages between 100-110bpm and speeds around 22kph.

Something doesn't add up with those figures - 14h riding @ 22kph is 308km, or slightly under 192 miles, while eyeballing jo's graph suggest he's only had three days under 210 miles (and none of them quite as low as 192).

It does strike me that Amanda is much more consistent though.

« Reply #95 on: 26 September, 2016, 11:07:39 am »

Something doesn't add up with those figures - 14h riding @ 22kph is 308km, or slightly under 192 miles, while eyeballing jo's graph suggest he's only had three days under 210 miles (and none of them quite as low as 192).

It does strike me that Amanda is much more consistent though.

I would think cycling around the same, circular, closed road every day is going to make consistency more likely.   That's not a knock on Amanda - its absolutely the way to monster this record out of everyone's reach. There is no way Steve is going to be able to do exactly the same length at the same speed on any two days..... Not saying he couldn't beat the record Amanda sets but its going to be a very different approach.   The nature of a Uk attempt will mean vast differences in how much effort you have to put out on any one day to get the miles in.

A brief look at Steve's strava stats each day suggests his heart rate is similar to the year attempt- but his pace is up by around 2mph on average and his stops are less.   Looks like if he gets the best of the wind he is doing 240 ish miles in the high 17mphs.  If the wind is not as favourable he is doing 220ish miles in the mid to low 16mphs.

Not sure if anyone will be able to beat the new Amanda record in the UK on open roads.... but im certain Steve could smash his own effort.  Think he needs to average over 18pm on a good day for a viable record attempt - and even that would require sleep dep management.

« Reply #96 on: 26 September, 2016, 11:32:15 am »
Looking around for an image that popped into my head, I found this page, where the first thing I saw was this image which - if it hasn't appeared in these Hallowed Halls before, really needs to.

(ETA - on Etsy for £8 + shipping)

Oh, and of course the image I was looking for:

(not that I'm not in awe of both, you understand)

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #97 on: 26 September, 2016, 04:31:06 pm »
caption it thread?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #98 on: 28 September, 2016, 03:27:03 pm »
Is he nearly there yet?

« Reply #99 on: 28 September, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »
Is he nearly there yet?

Steve has logged 6,168 miles, so that's 832 miles to reach 7,000 miles.

There's still four rides to go.

Target is now 208 miles a day, although it's worth remembering the record is 'only' 6,679 miles.

Looks likely he will get the record and hit his 7,000 mile target.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435