Author Topic: RESIGN!  (Read 19923 times)

RESIGN!
« on: 15 December, 2016, 07:02:45 pm »

Re: RESIGN!
« Reply #1 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:09:54 pm »
It's the driver's responsibility to ensure that it's safe for the passengers to open the doors, right?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »
It's the driver's responsibility to ensure that it's safe for the passengers to open the doors, right?
The passenger opening the door has the greater responsibliity.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:22:43 pm »
Highway Code Rule 239 (my emphasis in bold):

You MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for cyclists or other traffic.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:23:26 pm »

Even if it was, you'd expect the Driver for The Transport Secretary to know that...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:32:26 pm »
I'll sit corrected then; Hang him!!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:42:05 pm »

I think passengers over the age of 14 are responsible for car door safety.
Younger people are the driver's responsibility.

I believe Mr Grayling is an adult.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2016, 07:55:40 pm »

[citation needed]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2016, 08:32:39 pm »
First off, I hope Jaiqi Liu recovers quickly and continues to cycle.

In another post I wrote about having had 3 really close passes in a short distance. This happened a week ago, and I'm surprised that I feel much more nervous on the road. I'm hoping it is a passing (sorry) phase as I'm not enjoying it and unlike Mr Liu I wasn't even knocked off.

My concern with Mr Grayling is that if he as Transport minister is not looking after all road users, and indeed see some as a problem, then that will reduce safety if only because it will implicitly give others license to ignore the highway code.

In his defence, perhaps he was distracted by the chaos on the railways......

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2016, 09:30:25 pm »
From the report in TG, this looks like the offence of failing to report an accident?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 15 December, 2016, 10:12:10 pm »

[citation needed]

Like.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2016, 10:41:03 pm »

[castration needed]

?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 16 December, 2016, 07:55:09 am »
Strange. The FFCT is continually rattling on about how dangerous it is to ride in vehicles' blind spots or filter up the nearside in traffic, but this doesn't get a mention here. Things in London must be a bit different.

As to Grayling, he's culpable: ABH should cover it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 16 December, 2016, 09:17:30 am »
clearly the person opening the door has to check. But surely whilst wronged, the cyclist has to check when overtaking on the inside?   a large dark car pulled up outside the House surely gives a clue that someone is going to get out? as someone brought up in London and now from the country I cringe at the mayhem from both traffic and cyclists and pedestrians on my ( luckily) rare trips to town

« Reply #14 on: 16 December, 2016, 10:01:55 am »
"Liu, 35, said: “One thing he did say was that I was cycling too fast, which was not true.

“That made me really upset. He made out it was my fault.

“It’s my first and only accident and it came out of the blue. Definitely he should stay a bit longer to check on me. But maybe he had something more important than this to rush to.”"

Was knocked off in 2005 - head injury, large compo.  Then recently I was doored again by a women getting out of an official vehicle in York.  I was going very slowly and so did not strike the door very hard but i was still knocked over.  The passenger who opened the door did not try to blame me in the slightest but was extremely apologetic.  Since my first accident I am very careful in such situations, but you don't have to be going fast to be knocked over.

Another comment from a bona fide idiot:

Conservative MP Nadine Dorries came to Grayling’s defence on Twitter, saying: “The advice to cyclists re undertaking when filtering is very clear. I’m amazed that so many cyclists do that. So aware of it all along the Embankment.”

Some footage of the incident here:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2016/dec/15/transport-secretary-chris-grayling-knocks-over-cyclist-as-he-opens-his-car-door-video

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #15 on: 16 December, 2016, 10:06:20 am »
clearly the person opening the door has to check. But surely whilst wronged, the cyclist has to check when overtaking on the inside?   a large dark car pulled up outside the House surely gives a clue that someone is going to get out? as someone brought up in London and now from the country I cringe at the mayhem from both traffic and cyclists and pedestrians on my ( luckily) rare trips to town

Pulled up?

So they had their left-hand indicator or were pulled over to the kerb were they?

Or were they stationary in a queue of traffic?

Which was it? If the second (and I've viewed the vid, and I know damn well they were stationary in the queue of traffic, they hadn't pulled over to the kerb), it is not ok to just open the door.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 16 December, 2016, 10:26:02 am »
Strange. The FFCT is continually rattling on about how dangerous it is to ride in vehicles' blind spots or filter up the nearside in traffic, but this doesn't get a mention here. Things in London must be a bit different.

As to Grayling, he's culpable: ABH should cover it.
Everyone's banging on about it all the time here, including the official bodies who paint the cycle lanes for filtering up the nearside of traffic.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 16 December, 2016, 10:46:29 am »
There weren't any such markings where the incident occurred, they begin a bit further on. As I see it Liu is technically in the wrong, i.e. not in a cycle lane but the lane further on implies that filtering is acceptable, whereas Grayling is guilty of negligence, ABH and damage to property.  Fuzzy may be able to provide a few more: wearing a Crombie with intent to condescend, for example.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:01:58 am »
Fuzzy may be able to provide a few more: wearing a Crombie with intent to condescend, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

« Reply #19 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:10:00 am »
As I see it Liu is technically in the wrong

Not necessarily

Quote from: Highway Code

Rule 151
In slow-moving traffic. You should:

be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side

my bold

It's a subject of some debate.

I wouldn't say he's wrong but filtering comes with all the hazards of zombies, drunks, flying ciggies, dooring etc. Personally I prefer to filter up the middle as it's much less likely for a door to open that side.

ian

« Reply #20 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:12:41 am »
I'm not sure how he'd resign, it's doesn't seem he's actually aware that he's the Transport Minister.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 16 December, 2016, 11:17:22 am »
I think you'll find he is technically Minister for Verbiage Relating to Grandiose Projects.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: 16 December, 2016, 12:41:43 pm »
They've just been talking about it on Radio 2 (I know this cos I've just had my hair cut – not as cool as Bobb's, I bet his hairdresser doesn't listen to that). Seems it actually happened two months ago and the following cyclist who recorded it has decided to release the vid now in response to Grayling's recent disparaging remarks about cycling and cycle lanes. Of course it also relates to the recent BC/Boardman/AA proposals about turning left. "Are cyclists undertaking or filtering?" is the topic.

« Reply #23 on: 16 December, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »
Why government ministers feel the need to drive around london in gas guzzlers defeats me. Set an example and all that.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: 16 December, 2016, 01:21:56 pm »

Pulled up?

So they had their left-hand indicator or were pulled over to the kerb were they?

Or were they stationary in a queue of traffic?

Which was it? If the second (and I've viewed the vid, and I know damn well they were stationary in the queue of traffic, they hadn't pulled over to the kerb), it is not ok to just open the door.

you are right in this case     have watched the full video again   I McD