Author Topic: I need internet  (Read 626 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
I need internet
« on: 05 January, 2012, 09:14:42 am »
So I'm moving from the Grand Hall to the Basement of our building. The current setup is such the main phone box is in the hall, connected to it is a Draytek router which also does the wifi for the hall, wired into the Draytek is several more access points which go off to the smaller offices + top room. Comically the top room cable is fed out the window of the floor below and in through the window in the top room lol.

Anyways, building is an 1880s portland stone, concrete, and brick building which means the wifi is almost limited to the rooms the AP is in. Short of running a 100m CAT5/6 cable is there any other solutions? Being a commercial building of sorts I'm going to guess the Ethernet over power jobbies won't work as all the floors and rooms will be on different circuits.

How much slower will the internet be going via that length of cable? Or shall I stick it out the window and back in through my window for a distance of only 15m or so?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: I need internet
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:18:38 am »
I would use an ethernet cable out of the window option if that's possible
Ethernet over power cables would probably work, try it.  A pair of plugs is pretty cheap

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:21:53 am »
What kind of protection will I need for the cable?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:47:30 am »
AIUI 100m is towards the upper limit for Ethernet cables and you'd likely get degradation in performance.
It is simpler than it looks.