Author Topic: How much sloe gin will I get  (Read 2723 times)

How much sloe gin will I get
« on: 23 September, 2018, 08:59:28 pm »
So making sloe gin. Currently got a litre of gin. Around 1kg of slides and 600g of sugar, needs more gin and more sugar but how much volume will I get

Obviously the mass will be the same as what goes in. But the volume I'm guessing won't be the same as the components as the sugar will dissolve?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: How much sloe gin will I get
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:49:12 pm »
As Cycleman would say, "The sloe-er you go, the more you drink."

HTH ;D

(Someone who knows will be here soon.)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2018, 11:26:32 pm »
Not a simple answer to your question, but...

My recipe from 2016 (about 2.5 kg sloes in total) was 500g sloes, 400g gin, 120g sugar. It was a good year, the sloes were very ripe & I probably overdid the sugar a bit though by Christmas this year the sweetness should be about right. Your taste buds will vary ;). Following my family tradition, the sloes were all pricked with a fork, a process which separated them from the inevitable stalks.

I've never used a hydrometer to measure the density of sloe gin & related fruit/spirit drinks. Nor have I bothered to weigh the sloes after the liqueur has been drained (with a bit of waiting with lots of sloes in a demijohn for any late juices). Also there are losses in subsequent filtering out (a few layers of butter muslin & a BIG {unless you're very patient} funnel) of the fruity sludge.

Guesswork would be that the resulting sloe gin for my recipe is 600-700g, so might fit into a 3/4l. bottle. How heavy is a litre of gin?

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:05:55 am »
I make my sloe gin in 4 pint milk cartons - so 1 bottle of cheap gin (750ml) plus about 500g of sloes and about 300g sugar (although I can't remember exactly how much sugar I use!)  Once it has finished stewing I strain it through muslin back into the gin bottle which I have kept.  This leaves about a wine glass of sloe gin which won't fit into the bottle and therefore needs to be disposed of...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2018, 09:09:12 am »
So making sloe gin. Currently got a litre of gin. Around 1kg of slides and 600g of sugar, needs more gin and more sugar but how much volume will I get

Obviously the mass will be the same as what goes in. But the volume I'm guessing won't be the same as the components as the sugar will dissolve?

Sounds like too much sugar to me unless you like it really sweet!

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2018, 10:02:02 pm »
I prefer to soak the sloes in gin all year and filter them before adding the sugar. You can dissolve the sugar in the gin quite happily at room temperature and you get a big increase in yield because the filter/muslin/seive doesn't get gummed up with sugary fruit pulp.

It's probably heresy, somewhere.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2018, 06:02:05 am »
I prefer to soak the sloes in gin all year and filter them before adding the sugar. You can dissolve the sugar in the gin quite happily at room temperature and you get a big increase in yield because the filter/muslin/seive doesn't get gummed up with sugary fruit pulp.

It's probably heresy, somewhere.

This the approach I plan on taking. I'll be freezing the sloes rather than pricking with a fork, that's far too much FAFF.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2018, 01:24:14 pm »
Humph. We used to have a couple of plum trees and a sloe in our meadow. One year a neighbour asked if he could store his firewood on it, and in return he would mow for us. Yeah, sure. When he removed the wood a good few months later he said, all chuffed, "I also took out that old tree for you, it didn't give any fruit last autumn".  Nice one, Cyril - sloe trees only fruit every two years. :facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2018, 08:47:40 pm »

Seems a bit early (Sept in  warm year) for sloe gin

« Reply #9 on: 22 November, 2018, 07:47:38 pm »

If you are getting a lot of sugary fruit pulp ,you must be agitating it too vigorously.
I use an ordinary sugar sieve and get mostly clear liquid. Muslin is a real faff.
If you freeze the sloes they remain intact in the mix. Don’t use mushy sloes either.