Author Topic: soda bread?  (Read 3093 times)

PGtips

• behold. the might of the jellybaby!
soda bread?
« on: 09 June, 2008, 07:12:50 pm »
My class are doing a project in school for food tech (cooking) on bread making. we all had to find recipes for bread and we are making them this Friday. I am making soda bread. I have already done all the course work for it and in the recipe it say use buttermilk.

I am wondering whether i can use ordinary full cream milk?
Milk, Milk, Milk.... "I reject reality and substitute my own!" I am all for the Olympic food eating contest!

Re: soda bread?
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2008, 07:17:16 pm »
Ordinary milk would taste too sweet as buttermilk is fermented to give it a sour taste.

If you can't get hold of buttermilk you can add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to half a pint of milk to get a pretty close substitute. Let it sit for at least ten minutes before using.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2008, 12:18:56 am »
Also, the acid in the buttermilk or soured milk reacts with the bicarb to make the bread rise. If you use fresh milk you'll get flatter-than-ideal sodabread.

I find that lemon juice tastes better than vinegar, if you go that route. Plain yoghurt also works, as does milk that's been forgotten in the back of the fridge and has gone sour but isn't too lumpy. Vegan sodabread is easy too - just add a tbsp of lemon juice to some soya milk.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2008, 09:39:43 am »
Beer. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2008, 10:58:04 am »
My class are doing a project in school for food tech (cooking) on bread making. we all had to find recipes for bread and we are making them this Friday. I am making soda bread. I have already done all the course work for it and in the recipe it say use buttermilk.

I am wondering whether i can use ordinary full cream milk?

(Our local) Tescos usually has buttermilk in stock.

If you can't find/don't want to use buttermilk, a recipe I've used with some success has 200ml ordinary milk mixed with 1 tsp cream of tartar - you could increase/decrease the amount of cream of tartar according to the amount of milk in your recipe.

Here's mine:

200g strong wholemeal flour
275g plain white flour
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
30g soft light brown sugar (though I've used granulated brown sugar with no problem)
1/2 teaspoon salt
200ml milk (Ive used semi and whole, and a mixture of both, with very little difference in outcome)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
50g melted butter
1 egg beaten

Grease/butter a baking sheet/tray, and pre-heat the oven to 220oC, gas 7.

Mix the milk and cream of tartar in a jug.

With a wooden spoon, mix the flours, bicarb of soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Then add the melted butter and egg. Then gradually mix in the milk/cream of tartar to make a "soft dough" - code for squidgy lump.

Lightly flour a work surface, tip the dough onto it, and knead it briefly (no more than 5 mins, really) and pat it into a 20cm/8" circle. Then put it on the baking sheet, cut a deep cross in it (cut almost to the base), sprinkle a little flour on top, and put it in the oven.

The original recipe said to bake for 25 to 30 mins, which I found to be optimistic, but it may depend on your oven. I'd have a look at it after 30 mins. The outside will be done, but the inside may not, and the only way I know of being sure is to cut the loaf in half. If it's still doughy in the middle, separate the two halves a little on the sheet and put it back in for another 10/15 mins.

I had one loaf that took an hour!

Good luck.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

PGtips

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2008, 07:41:40 pm »
I will see if i can get buttermilk from our local supermarket but if not i will use the other recipe.

thanks
Milk, Milk, Milk.... "I reject reality and substitute my own!" I am all for the Olympic food eating contest!

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2008, 10:27:46 pm »
Pretty sure Waitrose in the southside centre has buttermilk - have a look where the cream is, rather than where the milk is

:)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #7 on: 11 June, 2008, 03:56:59 pm »
Anyone got a breadmaker soda bread recipe?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2008, 04:02:21 pm »

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2008, 04:04:22 pm »
Anyone got a breadmaker soda bread recipe?

You don't need one! Soda bread doesn't need (or want) proving, or more than a very cursory knead. You can have a batch ready to go into the oven in the time it takes the oven to heat.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2008, 05:31:27 pm »
breadmaker soda bread recipe - Google Search

Google brings up loads.

Rich.

Looking for ones that people have tried and work.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2008, 02:03:46 am »
Get a jug, pour some milk, add a knob of butter, heat up and leave to cool  ;D

So you lot are telling me that buttermilk isn't actually butter and milk?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

PGtips

« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2008, 03:45:59 pm »
i am really disappointed. my soda bread was going so well today but my teacher put it on the top shelf off a gas oven and one side of my soda bread was burnt. i know for next time if it is on the top to turn it around.

btw how deep should i make the cross on the top of the bread?
my teacher said because it "wasn't my fault" i can remake my bread on Monday which is good.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2008, 08:33:24 am »
i am really disappointed. my soda bread was going so well today but my teacher put it on the top shelf off a gas oven and one side of my soda bread was burnt. i know for next time if it is on the top to turn it around.

my teacher said because it "wasn't my fault" i can remake my bread on Monday which is good.

That's rotten - but don't let it put you off! My first one (only a few weeks ago) was pretty crap - rock hard on the outside and gooey in the middle. It took me 3 efforts to get it edible, and I'm still learning. The great thing about soda bread is that it's so easy to prepare that doing another one isn't that big a deal.

I also think that cooking large batches often means that some of the batch do worse than others - position in the oven is one factor.

I make the cross on mine pretty deep - almost to the base. This helps get the heat into the middle of the loaf (to avoid the raw-in-the-middle thing).

Good luck with the next one, PGT
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #14 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:15:16 pm »

Mr. Modest hasn't updated this, so I will.

I got to try the remake last night, and as someone who has munched a lot of rugs soda bread, I reckon it was the best that I've ever had.

His teachers thought so to as they judged that it was better than anybody else's, in the whole year.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #15 on: 17 June, 2008, 04:32:25 pm »
Ooh, well done! There is always a willing tester chez moi, too, you know, if you ever need one   :thumbsup:

Warm soda bread with butter and raspberry jam. Yum yum yum.

Pete

« Reply #16 on: 11 August, 2008, 08:37:11 am »
I had a go at this yesterday, using a recipe fairly similar to Paul's, but minus the egg.  My first ever attempt at this.  We found buttermilk tucked away in a corner of the 'cream' shelf at Tescos: it is there if you look hard enough for it!  The recipe we followed suggests sour cream as an alternative, but that will impart a different flavour and make for higher fat content.  I'd advise hunting down the buttermilk.

It was quite easy and needs hardly any kneading (the recipe warns against excessive kneading): in fact all I did was stir the dough briskly with a wooden spoon for not more than a minute.  A great change from conventional bread!  And then it goes straight in the oven: no waiting to rise.  And it came out  :P :P :P.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2008, 05:07:25 pm »
I use Delia's recipe for soda bread and it always turns out fine. I should check my Darina Allen book as well; there's probably one in there.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.