Poll

How much food do you throw away every week?

None, never ever
A few bits of manky fruit and veg
The odd few bits and pieces
I throw stuff away regularly
Loads - I often buy things that end up being thrown out

Author Topic: Throwing away food  (Read 6842 times)

Re: Throwing away food
« Reply #50 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:00:57 pm »
Apparently the bin was supposed to be £40 but I paid £9.50. Just as well as Lambeth has one of the highest rates of council tax.

If the bin ever makes it into my back garden that is - I'm convinced it won't, given their delivery policy.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #51 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:08:22 pm »
Apparently the bin was supposed to be £40 but I paid £9.50. Just as well as Lambeth has one of the highest rates of council tax.

If the bin ever makes it into my back garden that is - I'm convinced it won't, given their delivery policy.

Want to get the bin deliver to my workplace?  Its only up the road from you.

Just thrown away two peaches that are rotten.  But I only bought them yesterday from tescos.  I eat two, which were under ripe yesterday, and today the peaches were mush.  Yesterday they were as firm as the others, today mush.

« Reply #52 on: 04 September, 2008, 02:29:56 pm »
I doubt they would allow it, Lynx - they seem very hot on making sure the subsidised ones go to private homes rather than workplaces. But thank you.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #53 on: 04 September, 2008, 03:50:34 pm »
Children.   I would dearly like to brutally punish them for not cleaning their plates, but yes, times appear to have moved on.   So we end up tossing a lot of what they are meant to be eating. 

Apart from that, not a lot.  Carcasses, very old veg that has gone off.  Stale bread gets fed to birds if it is too hard to eat.   I too scrape the mould off bread, much to Mrs rae's disgust.    I've never thrown a yoghurt away - you can eat them a month over their sell by date, no problem. 

I was brought up to take a small amount of food when it was being served, and if I finished it, I could have a bit more. Any left overs went in tupperware for Dad to take to the office for lunch the next day.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #54 on: 04 September, 2008, 06:30:25 pm »
We cannot get anything at work for any form of recycling. Be it compost or bottles because we are classed as a business and it would be chargable. Needless to say I work for a county council....madness or what?
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #55 on: 04 September, 2008, 06:36:57 pm »
I seem to have a large number of colleagues who (along with their assorted families) refuse to eat bananas unless their skin is of the purest yellow. But they don't thow them away - they know that I'll eat any banana this side of liquid. I often get to work to find a bunch of ripe (and sometimes possibly over-ripe) bananas waiting on my desk. They all get eaten.

Perfect Bananananana sandwich making material. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #56 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:59:05 pm »

Mine was subsidised to £20 also got a caddy for the kitchen. I know Manchester as a lower than average council tax so I guess thats taken into account...hmmm upto 28 days to deliver.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #57 on: 07 September, 2008, 12:53:31 pm »
I seem to have a large number of colleagues who (along with their assorted families) refuse to eat bananas unless their skin is of the purest yellow.
I'm always surprised by the number of people who can't accept that brown bits on the skin doesn't necessarily mean brown bits on the banana, even when I peel it and show them. I'm like you though, no banana is too ripe for me.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.