Author Topic: First of the season....  (Read 1417 times)

Pete

First of the season....
« on: 25 August, 2008, 03:35:21 pm »
...wild mushrooms that is.  We weren't expecting much, it being this early in the year yet, but we got a nice little collection of chanterelles, just over 1lb, enough for generous servings for two.  And very  :P :P :P they were too!

Should have taken piccys but we were in too much of a hurry to get them cooked and eaten.  Sorry... ;)

Almost the first this year, I should have said, I bagged a (smallish) Giant Puff Ball last week while out on a ride.  Almost forgotten how good they taste!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: First of the season....
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2008, 07:35:32 pm »
Tasty.  :thumbsup:

Mind you, next door's front lawn had a nice crop of mushrooms growing on it, until he cut the grass.   
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2008, 06:31:22 pm »
Picked up some puffballs whilst out cycling this week.......very nice.
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Pete

« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2008, 10:01:12 am »
Fungus-collecting for food has - as I'm sure many of you have noticed - got very much into the news lately - for all the wrong reasons!  I'm afraid - if it's advice you want - there's nothing like experience, and I have fifty years of it!  By coincidence, it was chanterelles - that these unfortunate victims appear to have confused with another species - that we collected in Sussex on the same weekend as their mishap - and we were totally sure of IDs and ate without problems!  But be wise and aware!  Learn to be completely familiar with a few unmistakeable edible species and confine yourself to those.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2008, 08:55:20 pm »
Ooh, time to stalk the puffball pastures and the Special Place for those Special Mushrooms.  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.