Author Topic: Edge 800  (Read 8200 times)

Edge 800
« on: 26 August, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »
Now I have to say this looks pretty damn promising:

http://gbr.garmin.com/edge800/edge800.html?utm_source=garmin-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20100826-edge800

... 15 hour battery life is ideal for longer routes, while the expandable supports consecutive day and extended length rides...

I wonder is this a worthy successor to my HCx?

Re: Edge 800
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2010, 05:52:24 pm »
looks good. Wonder if it'll be in the shops for christmas?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2010, 05:58:33 pm »
Ooooh, shiny!  ;D

I assume the firmware is based on the Oregon/Colorado stuff?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2010, 06:00:29 pm »
looks good. Wonder if it'll be in the shops for christmas?
Doesn't seem to improve upon the Edge 605/705 except for a touch screen and it's blue bits. I hope the battery pack still uses a standard mini USB, I shall wait and see.

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2010, 06:38:18 pm »
I'm speculating, but I am hopeful that the 800 will have better handling of longer tracks / routes / tours. On the other hand I am slightly disappointed by this accessory battery pack: surely to fuck in this day and age it should be possible to do better than 15 hours with a single on-board battery?

« Reply #5 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:47:17 pm »
Ooh, shiny, but I dislike touch screens and the battery life problems of my current Edge 705 can be solved in a myriad of different ways (some acceptable).

If they did an Edge 705 that took two AA batteries and I'd be all over it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #6 on: 26 August, 2010, 09:54:12 pm »
There is a detailed review of the Edge 800 here

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garmin-edge-800-in-depth-first-look .html

« Reply #7 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:05:05 pm »
The mapping looks superb, display seems rather excellent.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #8 on: 26 August, 2010, 10:11:44 pm »
Garmin touchscreens do seem to be divisive.  I'm very, very, happy with the one on our Oregon.

Looking at the external battery pack, the connector looks suspiciously like a mini-USB with a cover over the pins, so I think this bodes well for third-party battery packs and chargers still working.  I suppose if they're sneaky they may have wired it up in some non-standard fashion, but I'd be surprised if that wasn't reverse engineered very soon.

My only problem is that the Oregon does everything I need so well that I can't justify a new one.

Nevertheless... shiny!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2010, 08:22:04 am »
I'm not keen on Garmin's newer style of map rendering - in particular the fonts with their white outlining just look far more cluttered than the plain spidery black of yore.  Likewise the roads are more complex shapes than they need to be - and its not as though the processor in these things is so fast that it doesn't need all the help it can get.
But this and the new 62 series makes me optimistic that an updated Etrex will appear, with the same happy blend of old and new that the 62 is offering.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2010, 10:10:15 am »
Anyone heard a realistic idea about when these will be shipping?

Wiggle say "late October", but not sure how much credence to give to that.

« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2010, 07:41:59 pm »
Anyone heard a realistic idea about when these will be shipping?

Wiggle say "late October", but not sure how much credence to give to that.

Wiggle now say mid November, Chain Reaction are now saying 22 November, others are quoting 4 December. Clearly its been delayed, which I'll put up with if it means the software is well sorted.

« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2010, 08:05:43 pm »
Does anyone know if it has been released in the US yet? I'm over there next week...

« Reply #13 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:46:00 pm »
Does anyone know if it has been released in the US yet? I'm over there next week...

Ditto.  Anyone want if I can find ?

« Reply #14 on: 16 November, 2010, 01:32:25 pm »

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #15 on: 16 November, 2010, 01:45:59 pm »
Shiny!  On the whole, it's probably for the best they were delayed a bit and weren't available on my birthday.

Anybody here got one yet?

« Reply #16 on: 16 November, 2010, 09:30:33 pm »
I awaiting my from Evans... Should be any-day now... I got a good price on an Evans price match for the trails pack.

« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2010, 08:16:04 pm »
Missed the parcel today but shiny new Edge 800 due to arrive tomorrow am  ;D

« Reply #18 on: 19 November, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »
Just got mine. First impressions are that it is smaller than I expected - only just bigger than my existing 305. The new mount system (rubber bands...) is actually quite good - you get a range of bands to cope with bar or stem mounting and it holds the device quite well. The card slot and USB connector are much better protected than on the 305, looks like it might survive proper rain.

Going to take it out for a ride tomorrow (trapped working from home today in the lovely sunshine - natch) so only really had a play with it indoors. Navigation (I've got the OS trail mapping) seems pretty standard fare and the screen is readable but there is a noticeable lag when you drag the map around (SD card based maps). I've noticed an option to set your altitude (I'm assuming this overrides the GPS height) which will be an improvement on the 305 which used to struggle with initial altitude and therefore give weird elevation profiles for rides.

My only real criticisms are that you don't get a manual - instead it is on the device as a pdf - I'm sure they are trying to save the planet but is a proper manual too much to ask? Finally, the touchscreen... Hmmm, I'm not convinced but then I'm used to the touchscreen on my HTC Desire. It is not really far to compare the two but you do need to press or drag with some pressure - no flicking the map here!

Hope that is useful to those thinking of buying now there are some in stock.

S

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #19 on: 19 November, 2010, 02:59:47 pm »
I assume it's a resistive touchscreen.  Not as nice as the capacitive screens used on smartphones... until you need to use it wearing gloves.

What do you think of screen size/readability?

« Reply #20 on: 19 November, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »
Indeed - it is resistive - hence I'm not being too harsh on it. I think it will be perfectly functional in use. To be honest, I doubt I'll be pecking at it much on the move - I tend to just ride and look down when I've got a route change - I think it will manage that pretty well.

Readability is hard to judge - it is backlit so it won't be an issue in the dark (making the heroic assumption that it will light up at turns) - its not got a very wide viewing angle but again, mounted on your stem, this isn't an issue. Just popped out to look in sunlight and it seemed fine.

Screen size is good - certainly the UI doesn't seem cramped and I can set up the data screens to be readable and clear. Then again, I don't like to clutter the screen too much, just time, distance, speed and cadence as a rule. The smallest data field seems readable.

« Reply #21 on: 15 January, 2011, 06:31:09 pm »
It looks lovely, but it isn't quite enough of a leap ahead for me to upgrade from my 705, with which meets my needs perfectly. 

Certainly, if you are doing on the fly routing it beats the fiddly 705 hands down (..but I don't  ;) )

« Reply #22 on: 15 January, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »
It looks lovely, but it isn't quite enough of a leap ahead for me to upgrade from my 705, with which meets my needs perfectly. 

Certainly, if you are doing on the fly routing it beats the fiddly 705 hands down (..but I don't  ;) )

Having used it a while now - I think I agree - its not a big enough step from a 705 to justify the investment. As a jump from the 305 though, its been really nice to use and much more waterproof than my old 305.

« Reply #23 on: 15 January, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »
That said, I bet if you used a 705 now, you'd find it very crude (even though the mapping looks very similar)

« Reply #24 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »
That said, I bet if you used a 705 now, you'd find it very crude (even though the mapping looks very similar)

I let a colleague with a 705 have a play with my 800 and he commented that the differences are small but everywhere. He really liked the touchscreen over the joystick and the physical design. I think the real difference is the mounting system - much better than the old Edge system.