General Category > The Knowledge

Shimano rd-m970 replacement p spring

(1/1)

Lightning Phil:
I have an old Shimano 9 speed xtr rear derailleur on my recumbent.  I think I bought the derailleur in 2008 or 2009 so it doesn’t owe me anything.  I’ve noticed it’s not tensioning the chain as effectively as it used to.  I suspect it’s just that the springs have grown old and tired and need replacing.

The derailleur has never been crashed upon and other than tension is fine. So I’m reluctant to just replace it.  Are all Shimano p springs (which is the bit I think needs a fresh one to restore stronger tension) born equal or do I need a specific one?

I think the model will be rd-m970.

iandusud:
Have you taken the mech apart yet? I wouldn't expect that spring to fatigue under normal usage so it could be that the pivot is a bit sticky. Also BITD some mechs had more than one anchor point for the tensioner spring so you might be able to reset it?

Lightning Phil:
I haven’t and had been wondering that.  I’ll see about dismantling it today and see how I get on. Chain has quick links. So no problem taking it off the bike.

Lightning Phil:
Didn’t get enough of a window to sort it out today. But had had a closer look and think you are right. Sticky well describes it. Hopefully the lower pivot  just needs a good service to restore normal service.

Lightning Phil:
Success. Derailleur lower pivot disassembled, cleaned, greased, reassembled. Now working good as new.  Spring was fine just things had got gunked up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version