Author Topic: Mountain biking: a good walk spoiled; discuss.  (Read 4929 times)

Mountain biking: a good walk spoiled; discuss.
« on: 30 July, 2021, 08:36:26 pm »
I am on the Isle of Wight. I've just cycled up a hill and then down one.
It was not  unenjoyable. The bike was too heavy, front end lifted up, and, quite frankly, I'd have got more out of my afternoon by walking up and enjoying the view from the top.

So that's it. The bike is for sale. If I go off road in future then it will be for a bit of rough stuff or wearing boots or sandals. It used to be fun but now it's not.

Re: Mountain biking: a good walk spoiled; discuss.
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2021, 09:21:42 pm »
It was not unenjoyable.

Glad you enjoyed it.

« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:05:13 pm »
It was not unenjoyable.

Glad you enjoyed it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mrs Nutty is in a similar boat re hills.    She walks up them pushing the bike and moans about the weight and stupidity.  I change into a low (i.e. tiny) gear and relaxingly ride up alongside her and say how easy it is if you use the equipment properly.

Many years ago in Chamonix in France she got a cycling map.  I told her "NO" but she insisted she was a good enough cyclist to ride the hard route.   Half way round it finally twigged to her that the map was for off-road routes, and we were on Bromptons.    I'll give her her due, she didn't give in and we got to the end; although we got the public transport back instead of cycling it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:08:06 pm »
As a chronic sufferer of Knees, my mountain bike allows me to climb hills I couldn't reliably walk back down.

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:19:59 pm »
Depends on the route, and depends on the bike. Some routes may be more fun walking or running, some are more fun on a bike.

Nothing wrong with pushing the bike for some of the uphill bits (or some of the downhill bits). Still lets you cover more ground, and helps you get to places that would be a long boring walk.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:49:32 pm »
Distance covered on MTB  equates to less time than being bored stupid walking relativley boring tracks, skillz make the less boring tracks even more interesting but I don't have much of them.
What I do have for when 2-ped-drive is required downhill is poles; hike-a-bike is only interesting when you know what follows is fun and improved with skillz.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:52:06 pm »
...Mrs Nutty is in a similar boat re hills...

Does she use a mountain boat?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 31 July, 2021, 07:14:34 am »
I'm not bored walking, there's so much to see ,hear,or smell.
Slogging up an escarpment with a bouncing front end is my idea of nothing to do.

« Reply #8 on: 31 July, 2021, 09:29:35 am »
Seems to me there's a problem with the operator rather than the equipment!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Mountain biking: a good walk spoiled; discuss.
« Reply #9 on: 31 July, 2021, 10:53:12 am »
I'm not bored walking, there's so much to see ,hear,or smell.
Slogging up an escarpment with a bouncing front end is my idea of nothing to do.

Have you tried locking out the suspension? Or putting some air in it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #10 on: 31 July, 2021, 11:40:07 am »
Yes, the problem is with me and perhaps modern MTBs.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2021, 10:33:07 am »
I have some sympathy with the idea but perhaps from a different point of view. If a hill is too steep, I'm content to push. If it's too rough going down, I'm content to get off and walk – my off-roading skills are minimal. And in many ways, on such terrain, I'd rather be on my feet and travelling more slowly in order to savour the surroundings. OTOH, though I don't currently have a mountain bike (and now seems like a really bad time to buy one), I do enjoy riding off road, or perhaps I should say on gravelled or mud roads and tracks.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

citoyen

« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2021, 10:48:11 am »
I do enjoy riding off road, or perhaps I should say on gravelled or mud roads and tracks.

I really wish I'd taken up MTBing when I was young and fearless. I'm getting to the age where broken bones don't heal so quickly, so can't afford to take too many chances.

That said, I do get a massive buzz from riding down a steep, twisty trail, even if I'm going half the speed of a proper MTBer (literally half the speed, looking at the times posted on Strava for most of the local segments I've tackled).