Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952085 times)

Ruth

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4250 on: 28 June, 2014, 08:29:50 pm »
A Thousand Times Goodnight.

Starring Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lanister, cor!) and Juliette Binoche.

This film passes the Bechdel test.

She plays a war photographer, he is her husband.  She gets injured by a suicide bomb, he is somewhat upset.

Binoche's performance is, naturally, impeccable.  Jaime Lanister's hair is delicious.  He acts quite well too.

Words to describe this movie:  powerful, memorable, harrowing, absorbing, thought-provoking.

The trailer is on here https://arconline.co.uk/whats-on/cinema/a-thousand-times-goodnight

Daisyhill and I were silent and lost in thought when we walked out of the cinema, we were both affected by it.  If you find 'news' coverage appalling, when Paris Hilton gets more column inches than the Lord's Resistance Army, you'll get this film.

I'm so glad I went for this instead of Maleficent.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4251 on: 28 June, 2014, 11:23:32 pm »
"Talladega Nights".  Hoping that it would turn out to be some kind of satire, with non-textbook unhappy ending, was clearly misplaced :facepalm:

Also, if all that was required to overtake in a NASCAR stocker was to change down to third...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4252 on: 29 June, 2014, 02:37:36 am »
Just watched Troll Hunter again.  I think it is absolutely the best Found Footage style film ever.  Hilarious and ingenious.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

fuzzy

« Reply #4253 on: 12 July, 2014, 11:45:45 pm »
"Bubba Ho-Tep".

Elvis is alive an well, well alive anyway and is a resident of a care home in Mud Creek, Texas. This is a result of him getting bored with life and swapping places with Elvis impersonator Sebastian Haff, who kicked the bucket before they could swap back.  Also resident is President John Fitzgerald Kennedy who, after the Dallas assasination attempt, was patched up, dyed black to disguise him and dumped out of the way.

Anyhoo, the care home is being stalked by an evil mummy, the eponimous Bubba Ho-Tep, dressed in a stetson and cowboy boots. Bubba was on loan from Egypt touring the museums of the good ole US of A when he was stolen for ransom. The thieves took him in a bus which they crashed into the river near the home. Bubba survives by sucking the souls of the elderly.

Elvis and JFK resolve the save the world. The rest, as they say, is history.

Uh huh, Thank you very much.

So bad that I loved every minute of it :thumbsup:

Ruth

« Reply #4254 on: 14 July, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »
Hope Floats.

I love that soppy Sandra Bullock movie, especially the way the fuckwit adulterous deserting father shows himself up for the weak child he is, without anyone needing to say a word of accusation.

Also I love that Sandra Bullock in a flowery dress, cowboy boots and a cowboy hat.

red marley

« Reply #4255 on: 15 July, 2014, 05:27:43 pm »
I'm preparing myself to be disappointed with Dawn of The Planet of the Apes (something I've got used to with PotA films from 1973 onwards). In the meantime, these shorts are rather good:

Spread of Simian Flu: Before the Dawn of the Apes (Year 1)
Struggling to Survive: Before the Dawn of the Apes (Year 5)
Story of the Gun: Before the Dawn of the Apes (Year 10)

They cover the period between the last film (the beginning of the end) and new film (the end of the beginning) with little glimpses of the collapse of human civilisation. That's usually the most fun bit of any [$VAR]pocalypse film.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4256 on: 16 July, 2014, 09:46:12 am »
‘Rise’ was very good I thought and was a surprise to lots of people, so have some hope for the new one.

I’ve never been all that impressed with any of the others, apart from the original.  Tim Burton’s remake/reboot was rubbish.

« Reply #4257 on: 16 July, 2014, 04:22:19 pm »
I watched Hard Day's Night yesterday. Hmmm, I love the Beatles, but that was hard work.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #4258 on: 16 July, 2014, 05:08:42 pm »
Sharknado last night on TV. The basic premise is that there is a massive storm over LA and tornadoes pick up lots of killer sharks from the sea and drop them everywhere. Falling from 1000 feet makes them very cross too.
Definitely a so bad its good film. Actually it was deliberately supposed to be silly and made as a bit of a homage to B movie disaster films. Unbelievably they have sourced the money for a sequel and a fan vote decided on the title "Sharknado 2: The Second One"
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4259 on: 17 July, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »
‘Rise’ was very good I thought and was a surprise to lots of people, so have some hope for the new one.

I’ve never been all that impressed with any of the others, apart from the original.  Tim Burton’s remake/reboot was rubbish.
What do you mean by 'the original'? the 1989 movie?

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4260 on: 17 July, 2014, 03:19:41 pm »

What do you mean by 'the original'? the 1989 movie?

I meant the first ‘Planet of the Apes’ film starring Charlton Heston, the 1968 one (I had no idea it was quite that old until I googled – I had it pegged as early 70)s.

Although I do like the very short ‘Planet of the Apes’ joke segment in ‘Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back’: “In this future world gone mad, we won’t spank the monkey, the monkey will spank us!”

« Reply #4261 on: 17 July, 2014, 04:07:59 pm »
I thought you were talking about batman movies.

Yeah, the tim burton PotA was really really poor.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #4262 on: 17 July, 2014, 04:52:16 pm »
How to train your Dragon 2.

(click to show/hide)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4263 on: 18 July, 2014, 10:05:55 am »
Sharknado last night on TV. The basic premise is that there is a massive storm over LA and tornadoes pick up lots of killer sharks from the sea and drop them everywhere. Falling from 1000 feet makes them very cross too.
Definitely a so bad its good film. Actually it was deliberately supposed to be silly and made as a bit of a homage to B movie disaster films. Unbelievably they have sourced the money for a sequel and a fan vote decided on the title "Sharknado 2: The Second One"

I tried my best to watch it but failed.  I like the occasional so-bad-it's-good movie ("Pterodactyl" being up there with "Plan 9 From Outer Space") but Sharknado just seemed bad, just-bad-enough-that-it-actually-was-bad.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4264 on: 18 July, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »
I watched Hard Day's Night yesterday. Hmmm, I love the Beatles, but that was hard work.

I thought it was great.  I don't remember anything else about it though.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4265 on: 18 July, 2014, 10:38:42 pm »
Deep End, on the tellybox last night.

Very stylised, almost fractured in parts. And Jane Asher. Oh my.

(Probably scores fairly well on the Bechdel test too.)

Ruth

« Reply #4266 on: 18 July, 2014, 10:54:46 pm »
Not Another Happy Ending.

A lovely lighthearted film about Scottish publishing.

Best dialogue?

"Don't you think it's all a bit ... tacky?"

"Tacky?!  We've got canapés!"

Bonus: that excellent redhaired Scottish Dr. Who companion is the main protaganist. I love her.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #4267 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:58:08 pm »
Boyhood. Completely absorbed by it; a humane and gentle film.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4268 on: 23 July, 2014, 12:28:34 am »
The Book Thief

rather enjoyed it, despite the weaknesses.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4269 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:47:49 am »
Tremors, great as ever.

I've never watched any of the sequels as I don't think they can match the original. Has anyone here seen them?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4270 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:57:54 am »
Tremors, great as ever.

I've never watched any of the sequels as I don't think they can match the original. Has anyone here seen them?

They're okay, but not quite as good.  Some excellent examples of our heroes getting clever at the start of the second film.  I wouldn't say they were bad enough to be worth not watching, IYSWIM.

The fourth film is a prequel, and is extremely silly, but quite entertaining with it.

ian

« Reply #4271 on: 23 July, 2014, 12:04:01 pm »
I'm going to watch the latest Transformers movie the Imax big telly later. For bonus points and to round off the sensory experience, I'm going to eat as much sugar as possible first.

« Reply #4272 on: 23 July, 2014, 12:09:04 pm »
"Bubba Ho-Tep".

Elvis is alive an well, well alive anyway and is a resident of a care home in Mud Creek, Texas. This is a result of him getting bored with life and swapping places with Elvis impersonator Sebastian Haff, who kicked the bucket before they could swap back.  Also resident is President John Fitzgerald Kennedy who, after the Dallas assasination attempt, was patched up, dyed black to disguise him and dumped out of the way.

Anyhoo, the care home is being stalked by an evil mummy, the eponimous Bubba Ho-Tep, dressed in a stetson and cowboy boots. Bubba was on loan from Egypt touring the museums of the good ole US of A when he was stolen for ransom. The thieves took him in a bus which they crashed into the river near the home. Bubba survives by sucking the souls of the elderly.

Elvis and JFK resolve the save the world. The rest, as they say, is history.

Uh huh, Thank you very much.

So bad that I loved every minute of it :thumbsup:

Based on your summary I just had to see that film.

And it is an excellent film! Thanks.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #4273 on: 23 July, 2014, 01:47:51 pm »
Tremors, great as ever.

They're okay, but not quite as good.  Some excellent examples of our heroes getting clever at the start of the second film.  I wouldn't say they were bad enough to be worth not watching, IYSWIM.

The fourth film is a prequel, and is extremely silly, but quite entertaining with it.

Thanks, that's helpful!   :)

red marley

« Reply #4274 on: 23 July, 2014, 08:17:12 pm »
I'm preparing myself to be disappointed with Dawn of The Planet of the Apes (something I've got used to with PotA films from 1973 onwards). In the meantime, these shorts are rather good:

Spread of Simian Flu: Before the Dawn of the Apes (Year 1)
Struggling to Survive: Before the Dawn of the Apes (Year 5)
Story of the Gun: Before the Dawn of the Apes (Year 10)

They cover the period between the last film (the beginning of the end) and new film (the end of the beginning) with little glimpses of the collapse of human civilisation. That's usually the most fun bit of any [$VAR]pocalypse film.

Well I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised. Probably the best of any of the PotA films since the original. As a wag at the Guardian said, it's more of a bro-chimp-mance than an action adventure, and all the better for it. Subtlety is inevitably blunted to meet the demands of a teenage popcorn munching summer blockbuster audience, but there is enough depth and complexity to make it worthwhile. With some irony, the CGI gives the apes a more human story than ever before.