Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338693 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1600 on: 23 November, 2020, 03:39:12 pm »
For most purposes we can treat a yard and a meter as the same thing, it's just easier to say "hundred yards" than it is to say "hundred meters" In your case the 3' fence is basically a 1m fence...
Roads Engineer here - fun fact, when you get a warning sign with a "100 yards" plate or whatever, the regulations require it to be placed 100m from the thing ;)

Do you have a link to the regs for this?

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

simonp

« Reply #1601 on: 23 November, 2020, 03:57:44 pm »
...This one again doesn't increase the square - max cluster up to 624 now.

Welcome to my tile bagging world  :)

I feel your pain. Though now I have the option to do one more ride to increase the square.

« Reply #1602 on: 24 November, 2020, 03:38:38 pm »
For most purposes we can treat a yard and a meter as the same thing, it's just easier to say "hundred yards" than it is to say "hundred meters" In your case the 3' fence is basically a 1m fence...
Roads Engineer here - fun fact, when you get a warning sign with a "100 yards" plate or whatever, the regulations require it to be placed 100m from the thing ;)

Thanks

J
Oooh, now you're asking - it's been a while!
I did think it was in the TSRGD directions for the plate, but doesn't seem to be. Maybe it was a DMRB one, in which case it would only be guidance and not regulations.....

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1603 on: 25 November, 2020, 10:04:12 am »

Anyways, our beloved squares are neither in metric kilometers nor in imperial miles (well, not in "nice" numbers anyway). They're not even all the same size I just learned...

Nope, due to the wonder that is conveying the surface of a sphere, on a flat surface. I Wonder, does this make it harder or easier, for someone living in say the far north?

Easier, but only E/W distance shrinks as you go more Northern (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere to begin with). The N/S distance of each tile should be the same. (I think, I'm pretty sure...)

Note that E/W distances of each tile aren't the same at the top and bottom of the tiles. The E/W distance will be slightly shorter on the side closer to the nearest pole.

You are right. The tile "height" is always about 1.4km. The tile "width" varies from 2.4km on the equator down to as little as 200m at the edge of the tiled area (which is actually about 85 degrees N/S, not the poles). RET.com has some expanded info on this at https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/how_big_is_a_tile

Surely they are always square in size  8)

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #1604 on: 25 November, 2020, 10:06:57 am »
Whoop whoop 50x50

Nice one, you'll soon be tearing your hair out in the Fens  :facepalm: hard work there.

« Reply #1605 on: 25 November, 2020, 09:36:52 pm »

Anyways, our beloved squares are neither in metric kilometers nor in imperial miles (well, not in "nice" numbers anyway). They're not even all the same size I just learned...

Nope, due to the wonder that is conveying the surface of a sphere, on a flat surface. I Wonder, does this make it harder or easier, for someone living in say the far north?

Easier, but only E/W distance shrinks as you go more Northern (assuming you're in the Northern hemisphere to begin with). The N/S distance of each tile should be the same. (I think, I'm pretty sure...)

Note that E/W distances of each tile aren't the same at the top and bottom of the tiles. The E/W distance will be slightly shorter on the side closer to the nearest pole.

You are right. The tile "height" is always about 1.4km. The tile "width" varies from 2.4km on the equator down to as little as 200m at the edge of the tiled area (which is actually about 85 degrees N/S, not the poles). RET.com has some expanded info on this at https://rideeverytile.com/tiles/how_big_is_a_tile

Surely they are always square in size  8)

Well, they are pretty close to square at any rate. I updated that page to be a bit more accurate when by brain stopped farting instead of thinking!

simonp

« Reply #1606 on: 26 November, 2020, 12:01:43 am »
Tonight, I decided I couldn't face 2h30 of z2 on the turbo, Batman or no Batman.

Before:

After:

This wasn't ever going to increase my max square, but brings cluster up to 647. The leg down the Huntspill river looked like it might be an issue: there's a sign (on Streeview anyway) saying gate closed after 4.30pm. And also at weekends. But I got there at 8pm or so and it was wide open, no issue.

« Reply #1607 on: 29 November, 2020, 06:57:27 pm »
Tidied up one of my false positives today - I suppose there is an advantage to that, annoying though it was, as I can still make progress with shorter rides (80 km today).

Cluster is now at 5204, square still at 44x44 and I'm not expecting that to change until spring when I can try and take my bike around Three Peaks country.

simonp

« Reply #1608 on: 29 November, 2020, 08:39:16 pm »
I dream of 44. My 80 mile ride today should have got 20. Will update later. Bike is getting very muddy.

The route:

740 cluster, 20x20 max square. Now once again it's going to take multiple rides to make the square bigger.

« Reply #1609 on: 30 November, 2020, 04:21:53 pm »
The tricky Grain/Sheerness Tile

I rode out to Sheerness on Saturday. Glad to report that it is easy to walk along the beach to get this tile as long as the tide is out. 
It is quite an impressive view too

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1610 on: 30 November, 2020, 06:35:24 pm »
The tricky Grain/Sheerness Tile

Good work!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

simonp

« Reply #1611 on: 30 November, 2020, 07:16:57 pm »
Wondering if that would work for the Avonmouth docks.

Have there been any tile bagging fatalities yet?

« Reply #1612 on: 01 December, 2020, 10:03:30 pm »
I've set my own (soft) limits on what cliff scrambling I will be going to go for....  O:-)

« Reply #1613 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:28:15 am »
I need to do a 175km* explore to Buckingham area to get ~50 new tiles & 39x39.   So it's probably going to be a while before this get's done.

*80km, if I do a 'drive n ride'.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1614 on: 04 December, 2020, 05:10:17 pm »
Just curious, are there any iOS / iPhone apps that are useful for tile bagging?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1615 on: 05 December, 2020, 01:08:13 am »
If you view the ride in question on VeloViewer and look at the tiles that it is credited with I think that you owe Mr van Kamp an apology.

I also owe an apology to Mr VeloViewer for doubting his algorithm.

It would appear that the discrepancy* is in the heatmap.

*I really can't bring myself to call it an error.
Interesting ... the heatmap comes directly from a list of tiles exported from VV, not from points/lines. So I don’t have an explanation until I get in front of a big computer and can look it at properly. Possibly the VV algo has improved over time.

Hmmm, using the heatmap to see how other people have got a particular tile, I find the following strava activity:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1343732799

Same user. Same line straight through a difficult to get tile, in the same area. Looking at the tile map for the user in question, their square includes these tiles, and these are the only two rides in those tiles.

Something doesn't quite add up here.

J
--

« Reply #1616 on: 05 December, 2020, 08:51:06 am »
If you view the ride in question on VeloViewer and look at the tiles that it is credited with I think that you owe Mr van Kamp an apology.

I also owe an apology to Mr VeloViewer for doubting his algorithm.

It would appear that the discrepancy* is in the heatmap.

*I really can't bring myself to call it an error.
Interesting ... the heatmap comes directly from a list of tiles exported from VV, not from points/lines. So I don’t have an explanation until I get in front of a big computer and can look it at properly. Possibly the VV algo has improved over time.

Hmmm, using the heatmap to see how other people have got a particular tile, I find the following strava activity:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1343732799

Same user. Same line straight through a difficult to get tile, in the same area. Looking at the tile map for the user in question, their square includes these tiles, and these are the only two rides in those tiles.

Something doesn't quite add up here.

J

Interesting!

Going back to the ride in my previous snip it still looks the same if I open it in VeloViewer.

However, if I look at Gerard van Kamp's activity tab on VeloViewer and filter to just get this ride I see this:

NB - you can tell that this is the activity tab as the embyonic 2*2 max squares are outlined.

So it looks like the VeloViewer dodgy-GPS-data filter is different depending on whether you view the ride on its own or on the activity tab.  I assume that the activity tab data is used to calculate Gerard's max square etc and also populate the RideEveryTile heatmap.

...and so the BlatantCheatometer swings back the other way.

But.......if I look at one of my rides on my activity tab where I forgot to turn the GPS back on after a cafe stop I have not been credited with the tiles that the straight line passes through.  The most obvious difference (other than country ::-)) between my missing chunk and Gerard's is that mine is 20k and 90 minutes and his is only 10k and 30 minutes.  If I get really bored I may experiment by chopping various sized chunks out of an old ride and re-uploading it to Strava and VeloViewer to see if there is a discernible pattern.

How strange!

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #1617 on: 05 December, 2020, 11:11:03 am »
I remember way back there was a problem with long straight roads being missed in tile hunting, happened to me in Kansas on my TransAmerica ride. Not sure what the resolution was, but I thought revisiting your ride filled in the straight lines, but found this old link:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/279168/posts/579623

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1618 on: 05 December, 2020, 11:15:54 am »

Have had a nice email exchange with Ben from velowviewer (the guy replied at gone 2am!), he's investigating if it's a bug at his end.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1619 on: 05 December, 2020, 11:49:21 am »

Thanks

J
Oooh, now you're asking - it's been a while!
I did think it was in the TSRGD directions for the plate, but doesn't seem to be. Maybe it was a DMRB one, in which case it would only be guidance and not regulations.....

I visited the BEAR Scotland placey in Perth once for something, and it was mentioned there at that something that for road signage purposes 1Yrd is actually 1M; measuring out 0.9144m on a metric trundlewheel must be a pain in the arse anyway but scale it up to the hundreds?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1620 on: 05 December, 2020, 06:15:58 pm »

Went out on a bit of a tile bagging adventure today. There was one tile that has been worrying me as it has no road access, and only a footpath. I had to traipse across a muddy field, and cross some bridges. Fortunately the bridge design was perfect for easy pushing of the bike...

Had a few issues with picking up mud on the tyres tho...

The rear didn't fair any better...

Something makes me think GP5k's are not the ideal muddy off roading tyre... Can't think why.

It was a beautiful day, but as the sun set, I could see ice starting to form on the road, and so bailed to a train.

Most importantly tho, i got the tiles I was aiming for:

Which has made a nice 21 tile boost to my cluster. Square still the same, but cluster now 876.

Now to wash my bike...

J
--

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1621 on: 05 December, 2020, 08:14:35 pm »
This is what they want  :thumbsup:

rob

« Reply #1622 on: 06 December, 2020, 11:20:39 am »
Max square up to 22*22 and max cluster 760.

Today required a bit of comedy off roading and a bit of walking.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1623 on: 06 December, 2020, 05:19:15 pm »

After my square being stuck at 17x17 for over a year, today I jumped to two over lapping 20x20.

I think one more ride and I can get to possibly 22x22. Might try that next weekend if the temp stays above freezing.

Nice cluster boost of 54(!!) to 930. I wonder if I can get to 1000 by the end of the year...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1624 on: 06 December, 2020, 06:10:00 pm »

Some more photos from today's tile hunt:

Zuid Holland from Noord Holland

Leiden at a distance

J