Author Topic: South Yorkshire Police ban road racing  (Read 1861 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
South Yorkshire Police ban road racing
« on: 07 August, 2015, 06:39:53 pm »
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/south-yorkshire-road-race-cancelled-as-police-suspend-all-racing-in-area-186443?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

It would be interesting to see under what authority they have been able to take this decision. The Cyle Racing on the Highway act has specific authorities and permissions laid out.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: South Yorkshire Police ban road racing
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2015, 07:13:12 pm »

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2015, 09:05:09 pm »
The piece I saw on this (earlier, so I've lost the link) suggested that British Cycling had had concerns about revisions to the law in ?2012 that effectively gave any individual copper the power to ban events. I think it linked to their consultation response, or something similar.

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2015, 09:46:17 am »
That seems is if progress may be made.  Shame about "vibrant".

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »
Cheshire Police have been taking a similar stance.

In both cases, there is some evidence that the incidents causing the reaction by the police were not races, but were more likely to be sportives. The public, of course, see cyclists with numbers on, and not unreasonably assume that a race is being held.

Personally, I believe that some sort of regulation/supervision/permission/notification is needed for sportives/charity rides etc if we are to protect our currently regulated events such as road races and time trials.

The "Wiggins effect" has been responsible for an explosion in cyclist numbers, it would be very cruel irony if it also killed off the very sport that started it.