Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882681 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24175 on: 29 December, 2020, 03:29:22 pm »
Headed out to the Heath Robinson museum to get some velo squares. It's a great looking place in a dinky little park.

« Reply #24176 on: 29 December, 2020, 03:40:35 pm »
I did 43km out to Uckfield and back. My original plan was 60 something, but after an hour my feet were feeling decidedly chilly (Garmin says 1C) so I decided to shortcut a loop and keep it fun.
My new ScourgeCC bar bag did an excellent job of containing phone and a snack.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24177 on: 29 December, 2020, 05:26:57 pm »
A very chilly early 46km on the Streetmachine, I thought I'd try some MTB boots this time, but I found that the strap across the tounge, dug in a little too much on t'bent, and my feet were still cold. Tomorrow I'll try some  Endura over booties, zips long since bugga'd, but velcro works, heels don't get cold, but toes do.  By eck, riding a 'bent in 1 degree, leg muscles like walnuts, (and other things too :facepalm:).  Nice to be out tho',  gave 'hilda a little clean after , salt vs alloy.... ::-)

« Reply #24178 on: 29 December, 2020, 07:33:40 pm »
Out in the grey and damp today. A little bit above freezing, but no ice.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24179 on: 30 December, 2020, 12:07:29 am »
18 miles on a gritted B-road winter circuit - Bardfield, Blake End and back. Freezing fog, with all my 'leading edges' - shins, crotch, sleeves and gloves well iced-up. Some slush where floodwater had washed the salt out, but no dramas. An hour and a bit was enough! The air frost on the trees was just thawing a bit by 10:00 when I got home. Said hi in passing to Wingnut, formerly otp, in Bardfield as he was leaving the village shop.

Crikey! I haven't recorded a frost yet. Lowest temperature recorded by my weather station this winter was 0.3°C on 7th December. It went down below 1°C again on Christmas Day.

I went out this afternoon and did 10 miles! Good grief! I cycled into darkest Thorpe Bay to deliver a Beethoven score to our choir chairman. This was for a concert that didn't happen because of the pandemic. The scored belong to a choir based in Pembrokeshire - I think they rehearse in St. David's Cathedral!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #24180 on: 30 December, 2020, 07:36:00 pm »
Went out for a 150km main road slog to complete my first festive500, did a loop out into the Peak first and then went out through Doncaster to Haxey and looped back via Bawtry. The A631 is surprisingly scenic in places, which was pleasant. Very cold but the traffic wasn't too busy.

« Reply #24181 on: 31 December, 2020, 02:30:48 pm »
Went out this morning for a not very brisk 30km in temps hovering around 0.  Well the Garmin said -2 to -4C but I thinks it’s pessimistic. Was hoping for dry roads - the one in our village is - but no, mostly damp and occasionally wet, with (the predictable, and warned of by a home made sign) slushy ice across the road on the descent out of Wingrave. Kept reasonably warm, even if my jacket and longs were state-of-the-art-Assos over 20 years ago! Gloves and boot, however, are genuinely modern tech.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #24182 on: 01 January, 2021, 11:02:52 am »
Got a bit depressed cleaning the bike and finding new rust patches from the road salt so went for a 4 mile run instead. <harrumph>

bairn again

« Reply #24183 on: 01 January, 2021, 02:33:55 pm »
A short 35km ride round my beautiful home city of Edinburgh this morning to shake off the cobwebs.

A few hardy souls were swimming in the Forth at Portobello and the promenade was heaving - so lovely to see!

City centre was very quiet, but strange to see so many residents confined to their local area under Level 4 restrictions surprisingly needing their phones to navigate their way around.   ???

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/60913086

Some pics

Porty beach

Musselburgh harbour

Arthurs Seat from The Meadows

The Castle

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24184 on: 01 January, 2021, 03:48:47 pm »
Nice to see the old place^^^. I must have walked across the Meadows a good few hundred times as a student.  Thanks for the pics!

Did a 35k myself, first ride for a couple of wks 'cause weather.  Not warm (~3° ave) but not windy either.  Newly waxed chain was a delight: utterly silent and seemingly frictionless.

Legs feeling the effort now. Ye gods, we used to think nowt of doing 200k before breakfast.  :'(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24185 on: 01 January, 2021, 05:16:31 pm »
I did. 14 miles and the 'feels like' temp of -0.6°C was right. Bit chilly, especially where my new jersey was a tad short in the sleeves and let a draft in between sleeve and glove. I think that'll be a spring/autumn rather than winter jersey.

Not too bad though and a hot chocolate immediately on returning home did the trick.

The Cuckoo Trail was heaving but just had to bumble through as the road around that segment was still flooded and I didn't fancy getting wet.

A good start to the year.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #24186 on: 01 January, 2021, 07:33:53 pm »
Just to Windsor and back. Cold and driźzly :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24187 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:23:40 pm »
Just to the shed for a virtual 28km alongside Lake Como.

« Reply #24188 on: 01 January, 2021, 09:27:22 pm »
Kicked off 2021 with a 50 mile ride out in the Northumberland countryside. I had been planning something a little longer but once I’d ridden out around 20 miles west from Newcastle the lanes were still covered in a thick layer of ice.

I also used Strava for the first time in 8 years (I’d even forgotten that I had an account) as I’ve been quite taken by this tile collecting lark that everyone seems to be doing these days.

« Reply #24189 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:21:09 am »
I took a 60 mile ride thanks to the bright sunshine and absence of wind, to the accessible landmark that is conveniently spaced from my home.

Was freezing though, I started losing perception of my toes, and I could feel the cramps coming up in my quads (a most unusual place).

A great time nonetheless.

« Reply #24190 on: 02 January, 2021, 09:32:33 am »
^^^ That is a cracking piccie in a great location. Jealous.

« Reply #24191 on: 02 January, 2021, 02:41:07 pm »
Although I was a bit late starting, which meant I only had sunshine for half the time, a gentle tootle around 20 miles of Buckinghamshire lanes at just above freezing. No ice, but plenty of wet roads - it rained last night.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24192 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:22:54 pm »
A chilly 48km, in 'velo couche' mode,  I was warm as toast, but toes were not.  Light hose off on return.  (Bike, not me)

« Reply #24193 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:35:49 pm »
Well I didn't wake properly till noon and so didn't get out on the bike till half two. By which point it was raining. But I got out the door all bundled up and did a couple hours around the lanes. The Cuckoo Trail was much quieter so I did the first half of yesterday's loop before taking the offshoot out to Herstmonceux Church and then a direct reciprocal home.

The sun was down and it was starting to get colder when I got home. Had my layering just about right.

Another 25 miles on the tally already  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #24194 on: 03 January, 2021, 04:47:21 pm »
Another trot around the usual 20 miler. Felt a bit less cold, so wore lighter gloves and, rather than my clumpy but warm winter boots, shoes, toe covers and overshoes. Didn’t work, I was warm, but feet were cold by the time I got home. But I enjoyed the feeling of agility they gave cf the boots, and was quite a bit quicker than yesterday as I felt more able to react should I have to.

« Reply #24195 on: 03 January, 2021, 04:49:20 pm »
A 30 mile loop down to Effingham and back. Really rather pleasant out there. Not many cars, no floods, a bit of sunshine. No complaints.
Rust never sleeps

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24196 on: 05 January, 2021, 07:49:16 pm »
A nice loop I've not done before, or at least not in total.  From Ely, out through Queen Adelaide, then along the A1101 foe a few unavoidable km to the turn to Mildenhall, out the back end of there towards Feltwell taking the back roads (some a little more "back" than expected, but only a 1km retrace of my steps), then back through Southery, Ten Mile Bank and home via Littleport.

Overall it was a great day to be out, when the sun shone, and I only got caught in one brief shower.  It was bitterly cold all the way round though, and with that nasty Nor-Eeasterly, the leg out to Feltwell was mostly hard work, down to <20kmh at times, but that all changed at the turn.  Still one of my slowest rides overall of that distance though at just over 3 hours, and 23.7kmh average.

That was my first outside ride since 21st Nov, and my longest since 72km on the recumbent in August. Surprisingly 2020 has actually got my highest recorded annual total desp[ite mostly being made up of sub 40km rides with a bad back
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #24197 on: 06 January, 2021, 11:59:12 am »
First ride of the year. Shifted various vehicles about at work yesterday and brought new to us car home which resulted in my work van being er at work. So today had a little cycle to retrieve it. Legs felt it more then they should but don't think I'm running on full gas atm. Typically got the first visitation of the year on the first ride. I knew something was in the tyre as could hear it on the mudguard but wasn't a good place to stop and didn't quite make the pull in. Bonus was finding I'd remembered to replace the disposable gloves in my saddle bag. Finished the ride then managed to shoe horn the bike into the back of a fiesta van. Only just squeezed in with both wheels off. And for a bonus found the sole had fallen off my cycling shoes and was just held on by the overshoes

« Reply #24198 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:16:42 pm »
24km with ~500m after work tonight, mostly main roads but a few little residential street climbs. One of the best things about living in Sheffield is the myriad of little (and big) climbs we have, there's always something new to find and sink your teeth into.

My average speed is ever increasing with further weight loss and more "training".

I say "training" because I don't actual have a plan or any kind of clue as to what I'm doing. I just ride quite a bit and try hard on some climbs, accidentally a bit like HIIT, I think but mostly I'm just trying to keep up with Little Dave.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24199 on: 07 January, 2021, 11:45:53 am »
rather chilly 30km ride on Olive....brrrrrrrr.