Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3898768 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24200 on: 08 January, 2021, 12:09:19 pm »
^^^ Ditto today, double brrrrrrrr!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24201 on: 09 January, 2021, 11:43:59 am »
^^^ Ditto 28km................tripple Brrrrrrrrrrr!

« Reply #24202 on: 09 January, 2021, 01:13:35 pm »
To the shed for a quick jaunt in the Jura, courtesy of BigRingVR. It was -2C out, which is tolerable, especially with no wind, but the freezing fog and glassy road put me off a real ride.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #24203 on: 09 January, 2021, 03:43:25 pm »
9 miles to Belper and back. 1st ride in several weeks, so a gentle start back. Beautiful weather. Nippy, but bright sunshine. I was very conscious of the low sun, and careful of drivers who might not be able to see me.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #24204 on: 09 January, 2021, 04:42:47 pm »
Short ride around town.  Murky & cold - though I was warm.  Traffic not too bad today, for a change.  Around town, cycling definitely a good way to avoid peds, which means dual-use paths (aka footpaths with permitted cycling) are more no-go areas than usual, due to numbers of peds.  Made the mistake of trying one path on the ring road a couple of days ago, due to traffic conditions - I was coming up behind someone who did double snot rockets, and as I got closer didn't respond to bell - due to headphones in.  Town = annoying number of junctions too.  Joy.  Otherwise good to get out.   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #24205 on: 09 January, 2021, 06:50:23 pm »
Yep lovely outing in the freezing 🥶 fog with ice forming on glasses, beanie, jacket, gloves etc. Stuck to gritted roads for 95%. Temp range -1C to -2C. Clothing perfect so no cold hands or feet.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #24206 on: 09 January, 2021, 10:27:34 pm »
12 laps of local roads at 2.5 miles each, because I knew they would be gritted, and pedestrian free.  After about the 4th loop managed to remember where the loose manhole cover opposite the waste disposal site was.  Actually turned out to be a pretty good training loop, with two short climbs and a few technical turns.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24207 on: 12 January, 2021, 12:31:57 pm »
A quite  mild , but 'skoggy' 38km.

« Reply #24208 on: 12 January, 2021, 06:22:21 pm »
Managed to walk with the walking frame down to the local shops and back. Need a rest now  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24209 on: 13 January, 2021, 12:02:24 pm »
Filthy , wet, and demoralising 33km on Olive, not comfy at all, but won't use 'Hilda n this weather.

« Reply #24210 on: 13 January, 2021, 11:59:57 pm »
38kms in two (well three really) sessions. The company Caddy (that I use a couple of times a week for taxi jobs) had an appointment with an assurance expert and a service due. So I got to skip the taxi runs and take it out to the garage with the folder to take me back in to town for another taxi job with a different vehicle (19 very soggy kms if the gps in my pocket was to be believed). After the job hand the vehicle back and 3kms home (all up hill and soggy!). Then the run back out to pick up the Caddy from the garage - timed perfectly, I got there before the rain came back and after the expert had done his stuff  :thumbsup:

This is the furthest I have been on the folder and the first time outside town and more than 5kms since august. The riding position really is too low (which also makes the cranks much too long for my knees) and I am going to have to do something drastic (like a homemade seat post extension) to fix this. That apart it went really well, still waiting for me to give it a higher top gear, and was a very nice thing to ride. I was a lot quicker than I have any right to be!!

(Touring note- straight out declassified main road, which doesn't carry any traffic because it is all on the parallel dual carriageway. A few good hills on it!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #24211 on: 14 January, 2021, 02:09:36 pm »
Managed to walk with the walking frame down to the local shops and back. Need a rest now  :)
Easier by bike trike!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24212 on: 14 January, 2021, 06:16:46 pm »
Barakta's recently taken delivery of a walking frame[1], and I agree with that conclusion.  Horrible unwieldy thing, but marginally better at doorways.

[1] With a sort of aero bars arrangement to unload the wrists, which should gain her a couple of nanoseconds in the walking frame time trial.

« Reply #24213 on: 14 January, 2021, 07:14:01 pm »
Bearings and axle replacement on the ez3 trike means that it's temporarily out of action and beginnings of bearing problems with the bafang motor Bearings means that I am trying not to use it till the ez3 is fixed.
Barakta has a frame!,racing time  :D

« Reply #24214 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:18:20 pm »

Does your Zimmer have wheels and brakes like a french one? My mum took her french one with her when she went into nursing home in Lancs and it was greatly admired!

« Reply #24215 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:27:32 pm »
After the excitement of doing "distance"  :o yesterday today the folder was back to doing its day job, the 4km between the boss' house and home after dropping off the "company" car. I would say boring but rain and a Limoges cycle lane more than made up in creating uncomfortable underwear moments

« Reply #24216 on: 15 January, 2021, 07:12:34 am »
Yes, wheels,  brakes and a seat. I haven't tried seating on it and rolling down hills with it yet so  ;)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24217 on: 15 January, 2021, 12:28:36 pm »
Set off at about 0945 intending to ride 20/25 miles in a loop around the town (including 2 laps of one section of about 5 miles) - bloody cold with fingers (in good gloves) struggling to work the brakes - retreated to the warmth and mug of Bovril at home after about 11 miles.     Still in shorts, legs/feet not a problem with cold  :thumbsup:

« Reply #24218 on: 15 January, 2021, 03:46:02 pm »
Out for an hour after bleeding front brake in the freezing 🥶 temps.  Brakes nice and crisp again. Cut ride a bit short after meeting deep flood, was aiming at 1.5 hours.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24219 on: 15 January, 2021, 05:13:12 pm »
41km of slowish skog /  flood dodging on Olive.  My goodness, I cannot wait until drier weather, without salt residue, allows Grunhilda to come out to play. Been out a lot on the upwrong lately , but laying down IS where its at!

« Reply #24220 on: 15 January, 2021, 05:23:35 pm »
I’m out on my recumbent in this weather.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #24221 on: 15 January, 2021, 05:36:56 pm »
I’m out on my recumbent in this weather.

yebbut, yours is steel , without any boingy bits.  Salt and Alluminium =dust

« Reply #24222 on: 15 January, 2021, 05:43:51 pm »
Got out this afternoon for 20 miles to check out an alternate route for when my standard commute floods. Don't want to repeat 30m of full road width (and the verges) flood in the dark on a road that people take faster than they ought.

I think it'll work, it's not a great route and it adds a couple miles but it's probably a least worst option.

Got back just as it was starting to get cold and sunset approached.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #24223 on: 15 January, 2021, 06:57:19 pm »
I forced myself out and rode to Windsor and back  . Still in shorts here. Nice bit of sunshine this afternoon  :)

« Reply #24224 on: 15 January, 2021, 07:30:08 pm »
Yes, wheels,  brakes and a seat. I haven't tried seating on it and rolling down hills with it yet so  ;)

From what I can observe with other similarly equipped users the seat is more use for having a rest supporting the bum while taking photos of the scenery. It could be handy for watching horse racing or going fishing though.