Author Topic: Mechanised doping?  (Read 15164 times)

Re: Mechanised doping?
« Reply #50 on: 21 June, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »
Which would be a reason to swap bikes at the appropriate time.  Another similar reason would be the extra weight of the motor, and more significantly the batteries.

OTOH some of the bikes are so light now that ballast has to be added to bring them up to the UCI minimum weight. With the motor and batteries replacing the usual ballast the weight penalty might be as low as zero.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #51 on: 21 June, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »
They have made the first carbon race electric bike  :facepalm:

more info here choose road and carbon ultralight

Zoidburg

« Reply #52 on: 21 June, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »
How much trail?

Must steer like an oil tanker.

« Reply #53 on: 21 June, 2010, 06:29:30 pm »
I wonder whether it would be possible to build an asynchronous (induction) motor, using a Hottowtech II-type crank spindle as the rotor, just by adding the armature and windings around it. No moving parts added, no noisy gears. You wouldn't be able to produce a huge amount of power at such a low angular velocity, but even 10W continuously over the course of a race could well be the difference between winning or finishing in the bunch... The biggest problem I see would be getting rid of the heat generated in the spindle, to prevent the BB bearings seizing.

rr

« Reply #54 on: 21 June, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »

The biggest problem I see would be getting rid of the heat generated in the spindle, to prevent the BB bearings seizing.

That must be why all these top-end chain sets are getting ceramic bearings ;D

« Reply #55 on: 21 June, 2010, 08:08:12 pm »
I bet with some fiddling, and more carefully machined gears (ie totally custom), and good lubrication you could reduce the noise a lot.  You just need two bikes, and then swap them over at an appropriate point.

That sounds like it might work.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #56 on: 21 June, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »
Swapping bikes at key points in a race is a big part of these ridiculous Cancellara accusations.

« Reply #57 on: 21 June, 2010, 09:03:45 pm »

Cannondales approach looks nicer.

« Reply #58 on: 21 June, 2010, 09:15:42 pm »
Not suggesting it's nice, but rather nicer than the oil tanker.

With a Gruber Assist, and perhaps a similar sort of bottle-shaped battery pack, that would look even neater.

« Reply #59 on: 21 June, 2010, 10:02:10 pm »

That really is remarkable, It's got Dura Ace wheels.

And a chainguard.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #60 on: 21 June, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »
That's a mosnstrosity - saddle sloping down, bars sloping up... integral lights and dynohub suggest practicality, fragile-looking wheels sacrifice practicality for light weight... and where do you carry your waterbottles?

« Reply #61 on: 22 June, 2010, 08:16:14 pm »
I've just had another look at that Cannondale thing, and although the base bike is a Cannondale the e-bike conversion is done by a company called Cytronex. The motor is in the hub and the lighting is powered by the battery.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #62 on: 27 June, 2010, 06:35:41 pm »
Specialized had an suitably ridiculous take on this utterly absurd topic at the launch of their 2011 road range...

« Reply #63 on: 28 June, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »
ROFLMAO ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #64 on: 28 June, 2010, 07:50:07 pm »
Never mind Cancellara's Spesh, its Team Sky's Pinarellos that need looking at after yesterday's result  :demon:
Aero but not dynamic

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #65 on: 14 October, 2011, 03:00:53 pm »
Getting one kW out of a 1.5v battery would require a fairly huge current (>600A), and the cabling and motor design would be equally huge.

Ignoring the infeasibility of that part of the design, very few chemical batteries can produce that sort of current, certainly no off the shelf battery designs.

How about if the battery charges a capacitor first?  How much current could be produced from the capacitor?

The amount of energy in a single AAA would be impressive if released all at once.

I appreciate this isn't relevant to electric bikes in the real world - that need power for more than a second.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #66 on: 14 October, 2011, 03:56:13 pm »
You'd need a pretty beefy capacitor to release that much energy without exploding.  Possibly a modern Ultracapacitor could do it, but I have no idea what their technology is, and how much current it could tolerate.  Most electrolytics (which a large capacitance device would probably need to be) would explode, messily, if you tried to draw that sort of current.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #67 on: 17 October, 2011, 10:20:06 am »
flywheel in the frame.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #68 on: 17 October, 2011, 11:56:35 am »
KERS in the diskwheel

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #70 on: 14 May, 2015, 01:57:43 pm »
Now Cipollini is casting motorised doping aspersions in Contador's direction:-

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-responds-to-cipollinis-doubts-about-motors-and-bike-changes
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike