Author Topic: Team Pursuit Final [spoiler alert]  (Read 2507 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Team Pursuit Final [spoiler alert]
« on: 18 August, 2008, 11:33:39 am »
Er, I thought that was supposed to be a race?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Team Pursuit Final [spoiler alert]
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:35:39 am »
 ;D

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:38:08 am »
Wasnt there a Danish tv presenter who after Denmark beat England at footie came up with the your boys took one hell of a beating line ,I hope someone has taped it and sent it back to him. :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:40:55 am »
Wasnt there a Danish tv presenter who after Denmark beat England at footie came up with the your boys took one hell of a beating line ,I hope someone has taped it and sent it back to him. :thumbsup:

"Jan Molby, Viggo Mortensen, Brigitte Nielsen, Knud Rasmussen, King Canute, Lars Von Trier, Prince Hamlet, The Little Mermaid... Your boys took one hell of a beating!"

d.

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2008, 11:44:00 am »
Actually, come to think of it, that was a Norwegian.

d.

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:19:28 pm »
38.4 MPH. From a standing start. F@ck me  :o
Working my way up to inferior.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:23:31 pm »
"The Great Britain men's team pursuit team destroyed Denmark to win the gold medal in a new world record time of three minutes 53.314 seconds."

""We knew it was fast but 3:53.314… we just can't believe it," [Geraint] Thomas told BBC Sport. "That's going to go down in history, that time won't be broken in a long time, we're the best team in the world."

You beauties.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:30:57 pm »
[Geraint] Thomas told BBC Sport. "...that time won't be broken in a long time

Does the panel think this is true? Surely they've got the 3m50s barrier in their sights now? Clearly they were going close to flat out for the whole of that ride, but I reckon they're good enough to go even faster.

d.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:35:01 pm »
I think the only team capable of beating the WR at the moment is GB.

Denmark have improved a lot recently but they were nearly caught, FFS.
a great mind thinks alike

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 18 August, 2008, 12:57:03 pm »

Denmark rode a blinder of a race. They set a new national record and made it to the final. They deserve to be congratulated on a superb performance. Unfortunately for them they were somewhat eclipsed (as were everyone else) by the machine that is GB Cycling.

I don't believe (with a couple of exceptions) that we have the best cyclists in the world - but we do have the best setup for training and preparing track cyclists in the world. And in 2016 we will be struggling against the rest of the world if they emulate the systems we have in place here.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #10 on: 18 August, 2008, 01:02:48 pm »

Denmark rode a blinder of a race. They set a new national record and made it to the final. They deserve to be congratulated on a superb performance. Unfortunately for them they were somewhat eclipsed (as were everyone else) by the machine that is GB Cycling.

I don't believe (with a couple of exceptions) that we have the best cyclists in the world - but we do have the best setup for training and preparing track cyclists in the world. And in 2016 we will be struggling against the rest of the world if they emulate the systems we have in place here.

..d

So let's enjoy iy while we can - it's been a  long time coming!!

And by 2016 maybe GB will have a TdF champion?

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

citoyen

« Reply #11 on: 18 August, 2008, 01:09:55 pm »
Denmark rode a blinder of a race. They set a new national record and made it to the final. They deserve to be congratulated on a superb performance.

Fair point - sub-four minutes is a cracking ride by anyone's standards. Yet still they were not far off being caught!

d.

« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2008, 01:54:32 pm »
Denmark rode a blinder of a race. They set a new national record and made it to the final. They deserve to be congratulated on a superb performance.

Fair point - sub-four minutes is a cracking ride by anyone's standards. Yet still they were not far off being caught!

d.

it almost makes up for the cr*p weather here this summer!

« Reply #13 on: 18 August, 2008, 03:02:58 pm »

d.

The blinder of a race was the one to get into the final - 3:56.8 or thereabouts. They were quite a bit slower in the final - probably knackered from the previous round?