Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813668 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1100 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:26:56 pm »
Just a couple of errands: to the station to buy the tickets for the DRFW and then to Waitrose to buy (mostly) beer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #1101 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:11:35 pm »
Took the day off today to have a ride & take in the Alp d'Huez coverage on ITV4.

Did my first 100km ride in almost exactly a year and only my 7th ride since then  :-[ (sheer laziness)

Did the same route as that last 100km ride and to my amazement have put in my fastest average ever:

63.64miles in 3.39.21 at 17.49 average  :D

It crossed my mind that I'd screwed up the 'wheel size' settings on my computer since replacing the battery last week but the distance covered is almost spot on the previous ride so it's a genuine improved average!

The weather was perfect, there were plenty of other cyclists out - including the first club ride I've ever seen (on a Wednesday morning!) - and with one exception the motorists were all on best behaviour. And to top it all there's a recorded delivery parcel waiting at the PO for me - and I haven't got a clue what it is (dreams that it's a cheque for £2k from itv's tour competition...)

Now where's that mint choc ice cream lolly...
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #1102 on: 23 July, 2008, 02:54:12 pm »
microphonie, that is seriously fast!  :thumbsup:

My friend is trying to 'get fit' and has taken up cycling with her mum. The route they always take is just under 15 miles up to the local cryptosporidium depot (Pitsford resevoir), round the track and back.

They did it on Friday when I was at school ... no trouble. On Monday I went with them, taking clobber like a P****** repair kit, some strange multitool thing of my Dad's, a Swiss Army Knife and a first aid kit.

So on Monday we rode up to the resevoir. 3/4 of the way round my friend's mum breaks her chain. I have never done a chain repair before, and try to fix it before phoning my Dad, who picks my friend's mum up and takes her home whilst me and my friend cycle home.

My friend's bike has very aggressive brakes, and doesn't like to use her back one for some reason. So today she went over the handlebars, twice. The first time, about 600m from my house, I used my Dad's multitool thing to take her rack off, which had bent so the wheel couldn't go round. Then her mum dropped it off at my house and we went on.

Halfway round my friend came off again, and grazed her hand (no mitts) and her knee pretty badly, knocking her chain off. A little first aid and a fiddle with the chain and we're off again, but pretty slowly. I asked her whether she wanted to take up cycling as a hobby, but she says she doesn't really like it and is just doing it to get fit.  :(

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1103 on: 23 July, 2008, 06:01:51 pm »
A fifty-four mile footle with Fatters in fine weather. There were three pubs and fish and chips.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1104 on: 23 July, 2008, 09:36:54 pm »
Sounds like a good day....

Just went for a ride into the downs after work. Two days of first aid training to get out of the system. Couple of climbs and some great views then home for food and le tour.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1105 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:23:44 pm »
Up to Horley to meet Jan the Cheating Czech. Then picked up part of last Friday's FNRttC route, diverting off it to Felbridge, then back into Turners Hill for fluid replenishment therapy, back up the FNRttC route then home. 42km.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

vince

« Reply #1106 on: 24 July, 2008, 11:12:08 pm »
A good ride today. The chap I buy my lunch from is a cyclist and we had chatted about going for a ride one evening. I don't have any friends outside of work in Chesterfield so it was nice to ride with someone else for a change. I knew I was in trouble when he turned up on a bike that had been put together from various bits, all of which looked well maintained and fit for purpose.

I can hold my own on the flat in most company - but we ain't got a lot of flat around here. Every hill we climbed resulted in my extra 20 kilos dragging me way back. I've really got to do something about this  :(

Still, a good ride, some new roads and a new ruin  :D (no, not yours truly).

20 miles: Chesterfield - Sutton Scarsdale - Palterton - Bolsover - Oxcroft Lane - Shuttlewood - Arkwright - Calow - Hasland - Chesterfield

I'm starting to feel that I have my legs back at last. The Dun Run was nowhere near as tough as I thought it was going to be and I've had two short sharp hilly rides since  :thumbsup:

It'll be a while before I consider a ride with the Frenchman without a group to discipline the pace though!

Maladict

« Reply #1107 on: 24 July, 2008, 11:17:39 pm »
25 miles: ride out to Club 10 mile TT, set a PB, ride home again.

« Reply #1108 on: 24 July, 2008, 11:55:02 pm »
A lovely 30 miles this evening to The Church Inn, Mobberley. A couple of rather nice beers- Black Sheep and Greene King- and a gentle ride back. The sunset was spectacular and we arrived back into Manchester as it was going dark.
Comedy value was included by trying to find a short-cut back to Withington through Southern Cemetry. We found an open gate to get in but couldn't get out except by the way we got in.
First outing after DD and CB II still rides like a dream  :thumbsup:

CathH

« Reply #1109 on: 25 July, 2008, 08:49:50 am »
Beat my own personal best commute times this week, once yesterday, and best-ever time today.  Warmth, fruit juice and lack of headwind helps!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1110 on: 25 July, 2008, 05:59:21 pm »
A very nice pootle down to the beach where I went for my first sea swim of the year.

Who should I meet on the front but Mr. F. Bloke Esq. with whom I passed a few minutes.

The water was lovely and I hope to repeat the exercise several times over the next month or two.

Just over 9 miles at about 10 mph.

Maladict

« Reply #1111 on: 25 July, 2008, 11:13:12 pm »
Rode to work in the morning, via the NCN route.  5.5 miles.

After work cycled to Melbourn, about 16 miles, to see Mike Stapleton to talk about helping with the 100k ride in September, and to get documentation for running next year's event.

Cycled home afterwards, which was another 11 miles.

So a decent 34.5 mile day.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1112 on: 26 July, 2008, 08:43:19 am »
Rode to my Mum's yesterday.

Virtually all lanes through Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire.

Cafe stops in Thame and Oundle and a picnic somewhere in east of Northampton.

320 km, mostly in sunshine, and with a constant tailwind. It would be nice if the wind turned round for the return trip on Monday.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1113 on: 26 July, 2008, 08:52:44 am »

Virtually all lanes through Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire.

320 km, mostly in sunshine, and with a constant tailwind. It would be nice if the wind turned round for the return trip on Monday.

Did you wangle AUK points out of that?

I cycled to parents from Poole via Salisbury and it into a hostel dart once twice.

Hope the wind is behind you on Monday.

« Reply #1114 on: 26 July, 2008, 11:51:35 am »
A lovely little 65k pootle, I went out not knowing where, or how far I was going to go and ended up finding some roads I haven't been on before.  Glad I got back though as it was starting to get really hot and I reckon another hour and I'd have burnt. Gonna sit and watch the tour in a bit.

« Reply #1115 on: 26 July, 2008, 03:00:46 pm »
Yes, slow and pleasant errand-running since 7:30, involving Richmond Park, the Thames, and then central London (and Condor  :P ).

63 not-fast km. 

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1116 on: 26 July, 2008, 06:01:23 pm »
Feeling pitifully inadequate for not being fit enough to tackle the Surrey Hills ride tomorrow, I thought I'd have a pootle roughly  in that neck of the woods today.

In the end I did Epsom Downs, Tadworth, Walton On the Hill, Betchworth, Brockham, Leigh, Newdigate, then back home via Dorking, Leatherhead, Ashtead and Epsom.

To say I'm knackered is an understatement, I really struggled with the heat and humidity as well.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1117 on: 26 July, 2008, 06:23:04 pm »

Did you wangle AUK points out of that?

I can't see the sense in complicating a nice straightforward day out on the bike.

Wasn't it Mark Twain who wrote something like:

Golf A solo DIY permanent is the best way of to ruin a good walk bike ride
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1118 on: 26 July, 2008, 06:52:50 pm »
More pootling here- 15 miles in total starting on the Fallowfield Loop then into town calling at Edinburgh Bike Coop and Harry Hall before a beer in the sun at Castlefield.
After that it was back along the canal to Stretford for a beer at Jackson's Boat followed by tea and cake at Sale Water Park then home.
All of it in lovely sunshine  :thumbsup:

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #1119 on: 26 July, 2008, 08:10:50 pm »
Spent all day marking out the MTB course for the Chichester challenge. So no cycling and I do not get to ride it because of work. I have promised Mrs. J-tsc a cafe' ride tomorrow though.......
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

Zoidburg

« Reply #1120 on: 26 July, 2008, 08:24:20 pm »
Spent all day marking out the MTB course for the Chichester challenge. So no cycling and I do not get to ride it because of work. I have promised Mrs. J-tsc a cafe' ride tomorrow though.......
Will that be taking in a climb of the trundles?

If it is you are an evil man :demon:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1121 on: 26 July, 2008, 08:30:11 pm »
A 33 mile round trip to visit sis-in-law and celebrate her 60th birthday, which was actually yesterday. By a sheer coincidence it was her twin sister's birthday as well. Bloody good do and would have been a fine ride except some git made a fairly concerted effort to knock me off. Reported it to the police and will visit polisstation tomorrow to complete paperwork.

« Reply #1122 on: 27 July, 2008, 10:50:32 am »
Not today, but yesterday.
Train to Southend, east along the seafront to Shoeburyness, Great and Little Wakering, a loopy thing back to Rochford . Refreshments in Great Stambridge and on through Paglesham up to Wallasea Island.
Ferry across to Burnham-on-Crouch and into the flatlands of Dengie Marshes.
Lovely big sky atop golden cornfields scenery hardly any traffic, got as far as St Peter's church near Bradwell-on-Sea.
Back to Southminster, from whence a train home.
A smidge over 50 sunny miles.
Pics are here

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #1123 on: 27 July, 2008, 10:53:04 am »
A fine ride, Jurek! Next time you fancy a bit of that, give us a shout.

Are you aware of the Stambridge Mills shortcut?

A short ride for me this morning - to the Cop Shop and back. It's too hot for much more at the moment, but there may well be a ride to the beach for an early evening swim.

« Reply #1124 on: 27 July, 2008, 10:56:28 am »
A fine ride, Jurek! Next time you fancy a bit of that, give us a shout.

Indeed it was - and I was keeping an eye out for you - but next time we plan that one, I'll certainly give you a call.