Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019  (Read 30042 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019
« on: 31 July, 2018, 12:29:19 pm »
I'm hoping to do this, provided that I am still breathing...

Any other takers?  ;)

PS That's an "unofficial" date but I understand, without checking, that that is the nearest Saturday to the July full moon next year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 13th July 2019
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2018, 06:55:32 pm »
It's in the diary again for next year, I think it's a bit early to be booking annual leave at work mind!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #2 on: 31 July, 2018, 07:30:14 pm »
If I can sort out charging iwant to do it   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2018, 11:36:24 am »
The date has been published:  http://www.londonschoolofcycling.co.uk/content.php?id=18
Dunwich Dynamo XXVII
13 - 14 July 2019

At least no clash with Freecycle next year.

The nice ladies in Ipswich told us that Greater Anglia have ordered new trains without a  dedicated carriage for bikes, that could get messy.

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2018, 07:31:25 pm »
I'll be there, if I can make the transport work again.

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2018, 10:54:01 pm »
The nice ladies in Ipswich told us that Greater Anglia have ordered new trains without a  dedicated carriage for bikes, that could get messy.

One option for those with a car/van:-

Drive out to Dunwich on Saturday morning.
Leave car there.
Get train back to London Saturday afternoon (with bike if you've not left it in London).
Ride Dunwich Dynamo (with added incentive that car is at the far end).
Arrive at beach with car nearby containing supplies, towels, food, drink, etc.
Have a doze and drive back home with no train hassles.

(The only time I've done DD I cycled back to London so I've never had to worry about transport issues apart from my own legs/willpower.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 04 August, 2018, 07:05:34 pm »
Keep in touch - a work colleague and I are very keen to do it again.  It may be that one of us drives the minibus (I'm old enough to have it on my licence, not sure if you get it these days) and we rotate in future years.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 04 August, 2018, 07:09:48 pm »
Keep in touch - a work colleague and I are very keen to do it again.  It may be that one of us drives the minibus (I'm old enough to have it on my licence, not sure if you get it these days) and we rotate in future years.

As an aside, having lost my licence for medical reasons, if I have to reapply and get a different licence, I'm not covered to drive certain classes that I was. I have appealed against the decision so I don't know if that will allow me to keep my original (1976) licence and protect my status.

« Reply #8 on: 05 August, 2018, 07:10:52 pm »

Will do. Have also PM'd you.

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2018, 08:44:01 pm »
I'm probably in, having just about limped around this time.

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 19 September, 2018, 08:28:17 pm »
I've paid a deposit for transport, so I'm in as long as it's clement.  Fixed gear, minimum weight, fast first half, limp through the rest.  It works.

« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2018, 08:03:00 am »
It doesn't matter if the trains have cycle spaces or not. Bikes are usually banned from the trains the Sunday after the Dunwich Dynamo.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:27:25 am »
Only on the Darsham service, I think.  The Ipswich-London service was more accommodating.

I remember the organisers despairing at the amount of motorised transport this event now generates, but Dunwich is a bloody stupid place to end a ride!

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:13:22 pm »
Rules from 2018 event are still on Greater Anglia Website - although that might change based on fixillated's point about the new trains

https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/%E2%80%98dunwich-dynamo%E2%80%99-cyclists-must-book-ahead-reserve-cycle-space

Sunday 29 July - NO bikes will be allowed on trains between Lowestoft, Darsham and Ipswich, and Lowestoft and Norwich. This includes bike frames, bike parts and folding bikes. A special timetable will be in operation for Intercity services leaving Ipswich between 0900 and 1500, on which 50 bikes will be permitted to travel on trains to London. A special reservation will be required and be can obtained at www.greateranglia.co.uk/dunwich-dynamo-reservation. Booking closes at midday on Sunday 22nd July. All other routes will only allow the normal number of 4 bikes per train.

As an alternative to talking the train, cyclists are advised that the organisers of the event offer a coach and van return service to London on the Sunday which can be booked at https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/product/dunwich-dynamo-xxvi-2829-july-2...
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2018, 01:21:26 pm »

The new trains have six cycle spaces apparently
https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/mock-new-greater-anglia-train-set-rail-depot
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:44:00 pm »
Six months to go.  Not sure how to do a ride plan given the unpredictability of feeding station locations.  How busy is Sudbury fire station at about 0030?

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2019, 10:47:00 pm »
Planning? I'm not sure you're quite entering into the spirit of things.

00:30 is the start/middle of the bulge. Expect long queues.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #17 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:01:50 am »
Take some emergency supplies and then just stop where there looks to be space.  There are so many extra little feeding stops along the way these days that it's unlikely that you'll starve.  My approach is to start about 8.30, take it easy, and get to Dunwich just in time for breakfast at The Ship.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #18 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:25:16 pm »
Take some emergency supplies and then just stop where there looks to be space.  There are so many extra little feeding stops along the way these days that it's unlikely that you'll starve.  My approach is to start about 8.30, take it easy, and get to Dunwich just in time for breakfast at The Ship.

My approach is to start about 9pm, take it easy, and get to Dunwich just in time to see the last coach leave around 2pm.

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:33:19 pm »
Planning? I'm not sure you're quite entering into the spirit of things.

00:30 is the start/middle of the bulge. Expect long queues.
Sible Hedingham was quiet at 2330 the last time I did it - just ahead of the pack.  Is it less than an hour from there to Sudbury?  I can't remember - maybe it's only 40 minutes.  I know there are several miles of very slight climbing after Castle Hedingham.

I keep just ahead of the main pack* until halfway to avoid congestion and bastard flashing lights (I wish everyone would turn them to steady outside towns).  After halfway the roads are always quiet anyway, because some people stop for ages and it generally slows down.

*more accurately, I overtake about 500 people between the start and Great Dunmow

« Reply #20 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:12:52 pm »
Half the people couldn't find Sible Hedingham because it wasn't on the route. *Everyone* stops at Sudbury Fire Station.

Also IIRC they had a decent production line system for serving people, whereas Sudbury is just a big queue, and there's a limit to how fast they can churn out burgers.

rogerzilla

« Reply #21 on: 18 January, 2019, 08:38:54 am »
I remember the year the feed stop was in Lavenham (2008).  There was a non-obvious right turn shortly afterwards to get back on the route, which we missed.  We navigated by the moon and the lights of Wattisham airfield, and ended up in Stowmarket.  It didn't add too many extra miles.

« Reply #22 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:05:00 am »
Sudbury was fine at midnight last year. No more than five mins waiting for food.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #23 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:07:25 am »
Sudbury is no bloody good at about 5am, which is when I tend to get there. All shut up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:09:50 am »
They'd have run out of milk by then anyway.